• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Laundry detergent and dryer sheets

When it comes to detergents, shampoo, soaps, scent free wipes, anti-perspirants, and scent free toothpaste, there are many options at pharmaceutical stores such as Walgreen, CVS, etc. and even some grocery stores that sell them as hypoallergenic/free of dyes and perfumes items.

Just about every major detergent company offers a gallon of hypoallergenic/free of dyes and perfumes detergent for $5 to $6. Dove sells 6 packs of hypoallergenic/free of dyes and perfumes soap (green box) for around $8 and 6 bars will last several years. Same with shampoos, anti-perspirants, and toothpastes, most large companies offer them for the same cost as their regular stuff.

A box of 80 hypoallergenic/free of dyes and perfumes baby wipes are around $4 and every baby wipe company offers them.

It's nice to support the hunting industry but if on a limited budget, shop at the drug and grocery stores for scent free personal items and save yourself a ton of money. Other industries did the R & D on all these personal hygiene items and the hunting industry just copied them, put them in smaller put-ups, and charge a lot more.

I was just able to stock up on the arm and hammer perfume and dye free detergent this week. It was on sale for about $2 dollars for a 50 oz jug. That was an unbeatable price.

I use the same dove hypoallergenic soap that you referred to John. I started using it year round.

Read the labels.
There were several scent free detergents I used (we've bought them since we had kids..they were sensitive to them) that have added "Brighteners".
Be careful of the whole UV brightener thing.
It wouldn't be easy to find out what is in detergents.

I believe the arm and hammer ones are ok on the brighteners, but you are definitely right that you have to be careful with that.

The UV brightener issue is primarily when using cotton clothing which doesn't exist much in the hunting garment market any more. Most all garments are now made of polyester and brighteners don't affect polyester. Brushed micro-fabric is polyester as is fleece.

John Eberhart said:
When it comes to detergents, shampoo, soaps, scent free wipes, anti-perspirants, and scent free toothpaste, there are many options at pharmaceutical stores such as Walgreen, CVS, etc. and even some grocery stores that sell them as hypoallergenic/free of dyes and perfumes items.

Just about every major detergent company offers a gallon of hypoallergenic/free of dyes and perfumes detergent for $5 to $6. Dove sells 6 packs of hypoallergenic/free of dyes and perfumes soap (green box) for around $8 and 6 bars will last several years. Same with shampoos, anti-perspirants, and toothpastes, most large companies offer them for the same cost as their regular stuff.

A box of 80 hypoallergenic/free of dyes and perfumes baby wipes are around $4 and every baby wipe company offers them.

It's nice to support the hunting industry but if on a limited budget, shop at the drug and grocery stores for scent free personal items and save yourself a ton of money. Other industries did the R & D on all these personal hygiene items and the hunting industry just copied them, put them in smaller put-ups, and charge a lot more.

If you compare the active ingredients in the hypoallergenic and scent-free/scent-reducing wipes you'll see they are basically the same products. Since we've got another little one at home and my wife is a bit of a 'naturalist' we buy bulk hypoallergenic/scent-free baby wipes. I have a nice little surplus of them stashed in my hunting totes now :D

The arm + hammer hypoallergenic/perfume + dye free clothing detergent regularly goes on sale at big box grocery stores here in Michigan (meijer, kroger, etc.). And even when it isn't on sale it's the cheapest stuff on the shelf.

The only 'hunting' detergent I used is the carbon reactivating detergent that scentlok makes on my scentlok garments. To be honest i'm not sure it isn't just plain old perfume/dye-free/hypoallergenic detergent. But i'd like to think that there's something in the detergent that was forumlated specifically for carbon-activated clothing, and thus why I use it.

John Eberhart said:
The UV brightener issue is primarily when using cotton clothing which doesn't exist much in the hunting garment market any more. Most all garments are now made of polyester and brighteners don't affect polyester. Brushed micro-fabric is polyester as is fleece.
That's really good to know.
So it shouldn't be an issue with my ASAT leafy

justsomedude said:
John Eberhart said:
That's really good to know.
So it shouldn't be an issue with my ASAT leafy

x2, that is really good to know!

If you look into the care of these newer hunting garments the specifically state you cant use regular detergent. Scent free isnt good enough for these higher end clothes especially any that have a dwr finish. That finish requires a full rinse detergent and most of them dont offer that claim. A few do, nixwax has a wash, astko has a wash that leaves no residue. You might think it doesnt matter but this is why your dwr finish garments stop shedding water and or breathing, the pores are clogged with detergent. If however you have this issue you are in luck, you can wash them in a full rinse detergent and treat them with nixwax wash in waterproofer for dwr clothing. From that point forward if you only use a full rinse detergent you wont need to do it again for a long time. Thats why when your jacket was new it would shed water and now it soaks it up.

How about ivory soap which is scent free. Before the scent control industry became very popular we used to wash our clothes in baking soda.

bigjoe said:
How about ivory soap which is scent free. Before the scent control industry became very popular we used to wash our clothes in baking soda.

I use the dove scent free soap. Same idea.

I wanted to tell you something I came across again this morning while reading more about this topic. Apparently ANY type of drier sheet is going to have wax in it that will effect your dwr/breathable wools.

Back