• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lets hear about your first hunt of the season

Bigburner

Had to put one in last night. Never miss the first day of the season. It was brutal 90 degrees and 90% humidity. Sorry team 2. I could have propelled us into victory and used all 4 of my doe tags :lol: . I got busted by the guy I was after late. He was Allot less tolerant than the does. :( Bummer. The humidity coupled with the light wind and thermals around the pond I was hunting in the middle of the woods was challenging to say the least. Had 7 does in range total and now to be the fuzzy antlered ghost. Maybe I'll catch him later on. If any of you boys have any sweet gum around in the mid-Atlantic or the south get on it because the deer are destroying that food source. It’s a nice in-betweener for us between the acorns which are going to be spotty this year and all the early beans are getting un-palatable.

Thats a bummer on the buck! Did you get a close encounter with him? Tell more, tell more! I still have 11 days til I can be in a tree! And I have to shoot a doe before I can go after a buck! You're definitely better off waiting for a cooler day to shoot a doe.

You guys are so lucky. The season doesn't start in ontario until October 1. Being a single parent I likely won't get out until the gun hunt in November! Lots of details is good. Pictures too if you have 'em

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I pulled my card today on a cam I put on another pond a few weeks ago. Merry x-mas 2 me. I'm really feeling good that i have this guy wired. I know right were he lays his weary head. Just need a good wind and game on. Took me solid year to find his bed. gonna have to make like slug to get in his area. He's no dummy. Biggest buck I've ever seen on public. He was big last year. Now he's huge. More mass and more junk. Makes me weak in the knees :shock:
http://s872.photobucket.com/user/Bigbur ... 7.jpg.html

Definitely jealous!!!!! Opening day here in Ohio isn't until the 27th!!! :? Hope you get that monster!

So I had a big doe come in yesterday morning about an hour after shooting time. I hit her high and spined her so she dropped and then I had to take care of business. You can see the pic in the contest entry thread :cool: Now I'm buck hunting!

Last night I sat on a travel route they take coming down the mountain. I had 2 does and a 6 inch spike come right under my stand and keep me entertained. Tonight I put in a hunt on a bed. Everything was perfect.... except the "wind" was really light, only like 1 mph. I took my time and snuck in, it took me 50 minutes to travel a few hundred yards, but there was nothing I could do about the crunchy leaves. It will definitely be better to hunt these beds with a little more wind to cover up some of the noise. I didn't end up seeing anything, but the hunt was fun and a good learning experience too.

Opening Morning in Michigan for the Archery season is October 1st. The night before I set up for my first Saddle hunt. With an east wind and a woods full of acorns it was hard to pick a tree. The bedding area was out of the question due to the wind direction. I set up in a funnel between two ponds that had a lot of cat tail cover around the edge. It ended up being warmer than I expected and after a 1/2 mile walk to the tree, I climbed up the tree only to get my pull up rope tied up like a shoe sting in the ladder stick. So after getting all strapped into the tree, I reached for my rope and it wouldn't budge. So I quickly and not very quietly climbed back down and untied the tangled mess. I choose a great tree for my first saddle hunt. At about 30 ft there was a large branch that extended out that I used as a foot rest. Another small branch extended out at about 120 degrees from the large one, so I had two good foot holds.
My first deer sighting of the hunting season was a spike that has really long beams. He came upwind and I heard him snort a little bit as my scent interrupted his travel. He hung around for awhile and was joined by another 1 1/2 year 4 pt. Then the does started running wild around me. I had 14 deer sighting in the tall timber and most went through the funnel. What seemed like an hour of hunting turned out to be 4 hours of sitting. The adjustment of the aerohunter was easier than I expected and for someone like me with A.D.D its nice to be able to make small movements at a higher elevation without noise. Before getting down I took the opportunity to pretend to shoot in different angles and directions. Footwork seems to be the key.
What I learned most about hunt number 1 and 2 (pop-up blind along side a food plot in the rain), was to shoot more than you think you need. After hunt #2 with my crossbow, I decided to break out my old compound. I lost two bolts through the old target and was frustrated at the lack of consistency I had grown to take for granted in my Parker Tornado. Field point shots were on the money, but Muzzy Broad heads created way too unknown in the shot to have any faith. The old compound fit like a glove and muscle memory and faith is quickly building.
Hunt #3 was my second saddle hunt from the same tree I hunted #1 with. Second time up the tree was easy. I learned to strap my bow unto my back pack and just wear it to climb the tree. Less movement and noise was the result. I only saw 2 deer while on stand and both were bucks. This time I took my professional camera equipment with me to test out my new tree arm. Was able to 10 mins of footage of a little spike and a young 6 pointer. "Let'm e go, Let'm grow" rang out in my head as I continued to film. The footage turned out okay, and after 3 hours I was falling asleep. Working 24 hours the day before and getting out of work just an hour before first light wears on you. I felt comfortable enough saddle hunting because I practiced falling asleep many times that morning just to practice if it really happened.
Walking back on hunt #3 resulted in a slow stalk on two doe through the Acorn crusted floor of the woods. No shot presented itself and they walked away without notice. One doe is more educated than the rest. She caught me as I walked the 2 track back through the food plot to the house. Her game of Hide and seek ended with her insecurity as to this foreign object on the trail. 10 yards and autumn olive in-between wasn't enough cover for either of us. Instead of screaming like a TV Indian and charging her with a knife, I stood still until she couldn't take the suspense, snorted, and ran off through the standing corn.
Oh, to hunt another day.

Deer at 21 yards, Tree limb at about 10. Thought, I could make it under the limb.... was off by 1/2 inch.

Thanks,
Boswell

Attachments

• Limbo.jpg
    Limbo.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 563
Sorry guys I can't contribute yet. When home I'm a single dad of 2 boys. That's where my time goes.
I take a week for the gun hunt and use my saddle. It's only a week on public land I won't be able to access until that week but we have history there so with some prep and forethought I hope to have a story.
In the meantime I'll gladly live vicariously!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boudreaux said:
Deer at 21 yards, Tree limb at about 10. Thought, I could make it under the limb.... was off by 1/2 inch.

Thanks,
Boswell

Bummer!

bmulnix said:
Opening Morning in Michigan for the Archery season is October 1st. The night before I set up for my first Saddle hunt. With an east wind and a woods full of acorns it was hard to pick a tree. The bedding area was out of the question due to the wind direction. I set up in a funnel between two ponds that had a lot of cat tail cover around the edge. It ended up being warmer than I expected and after a 1/2 mile walk to the tree, I climbed up the tree only to get my pull up rope tied up like a shoe sting in the ladder stick. So after getting all strapped into the tree, I reached for my rope and it wouldn't budge. So I quickly and not very quietly climbed back down and untied the tangled mess. I choose a great tree for my first saddle hunt. At about 30 ft there was a large branch that extended out that I used as a foot rest. Another small branch extended out at about 120 degrees from the large one, so I had two good foot holds.
My first deer sighting of the hunting season was a spike that has really long beams. He came upwind and I heard him snort a little bit as my scent interrupted his travel. He hung around for awhile and was joined by another 1 1/2 year 4 pt. Then the does started running wild around me. I had 14 deer sighting in the tall timber and most went through the funnel. What seemed like an hour of hunting turned out to be 4 hours of sitting. The adjustment of the aerohunter was easier than I expected and for someone like me with A.D.D its nice to be able to make small movements at a higher elevation without noise. Before getting down I took the opportunity to pretend to shoot in different angles and directions. Footwork seems to be the key.
What I learned most about hunt number 1 and 2 (pop-up blind along side a food plot in the rain), was to shoot more than you think you need. After hunt #2 with my crossbow, I decided to break out my old compound. I lost two bolts through the old target and was frustrated at the lack of consistency I had grown to take for granted in my Parker Tornado. Field point shots were on the money, but Muzzy Broad heads created way too unknown in the shot to have any faith. The old compound fit like a glove and muscle memory and faith is quickly building.
Hunt #3 was my second saddle hunt from the same tree I hunted #1 with. Second time up the tree was easy. I learned to strap my bow unto my back pack and just wear it to climb the tree. Less movement and noise was the result. I only saw 2 deer while on stand and both were bucks. This time I took my professional camera equipment with me to test out my new tree arm. Was able to 10 mins of footage of a little spike and a young 6 pointer. "Let'm e go, Let'm grow" rang out in my head as I continued to film. The footage turned out okay, and after 3 hours I was falling asleep. Working 24 hours the day before and getting out of work just an hour before first light wears on you. I felt comfortable enough saddle hunting because I practiced falling asleep many times that morning just to practice if it really happened.
Walking back on hunt #3 resulted in a slow stalk on two doe through the Acorn crusted floor of the woods. No shot presented itself and they walked away without notice. One doe is more educated than the rest. She caught me as I walked the 2 track back through the food plot to the house. Her game of Hide and seek ended with her insecurity as to this foreign object on the trail. 10 yards and autumn olive in-between wasn't enough cover for either of us. Instead of screaming like a TV Indian and charging her with a knife, I stood still until she couldn't take the suspense, snorted, and ran off through the standing corn.
Oh, to hunt another day.
Nice write up! Good luck out there!

fawnzy said:
Sorry guys I can't contribute yet. When home I'm a single dad of 2 boys. That's where my time goes.
I take a week for the gun hunt and use my saddle. It's only a week on public land I won't be able to access until that week but we have history there so with some prep and forethought I hope to have a story.
In the meantime I'll gladly live vicariously!

Enjoy your time when you do get out there :cool:

Hope you have some good stories to share with us. Can't wait to hear them :D

Thanks. There's always good stories. Hopefully the furry kind'

Back