• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Light weight saddle

kenn1320

Here is my light weight saddle. See through mesh and 1.75" belt material. Loops are folded and sewn to hold shape. Buckle is plastic cobra, very nice. Belt is not sewn out to ends to allow me to tighten it without pulling the loops inward to far. Bridge is 36"x1" runner.
Saddle is 1.3lbs weighed on digital shipping scale. Minus the cobra buckle and belt it weighed .88lbs, pretty heavy duty buckle. Saddle as shown with 2 carabiners and the runner is 1.7lbs. That's my lineman belt with carabiner and ropeman1 off to the side. Not shown is my tether, likely will be made out of amsteel.

That's sweet! Well done. What kind of sewing machine/thread/needle did you use?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I didn't sew it, so not technically DIY, but wasnt sure where else to put it.

Yes those loops pull double duty.

Re: RE: Re: Light weight saddle

kenn1320 said:
I didn't sew it, so not technically DIY, but wasnt sure where else to put it.

Yes those loops pull double duty.
Who sewed it then?

BassBoysLLP said:
Who sewed it then?

Couple things I want to say here. I had an issue the first go around with the company that I sourced to make these. They didn't follow my drawing exactly, and forgot to sew the waist belt on. I contacted them and they were eager to make it right and I shipped them back. That's how I know the weight minus the belt and buckle. They are a busy company, making lots of things, sewing isn't their only gig. I ordered these at the end of November and finally got them this week(part of that was shipping back and fourth). I'm reluctant to give out their name for several reasons.
1. While their quality is A+, I had that issue with not following the print 100%.
2. I would like to use them in the future for other projects
3. They think they sewed up some light weight camping hammock style seats and if they start getting request for similar things and they find out its not what they thought, I don't want to lose them as a supplier.
4. They do have a minimum dollar amount per order, so I have a fairly big investment into this. That being said I had 4 of these made and may sell a couple to help offset my investment.

Nice. Looks top notch. How does it feel?

I'd also like to have quieter material for my fanatic seat. I assume you are thinking of doing the same like Dave demonstrated in his videos

What's the main difference between this and a SitDrag that has been modified with a waist belt? The mesh material in place of canvas? I would say yours looks a bit more heavy duty. Are the LxW dimensions a lot different?

Alright Kenn, since we're sharing :cool: :
This is my DIY version of a lightweight saddle. Not sure if this will be the final product or not, but it was a first round of tinkering to see what works. Ignore the green webbing portion. That was intended as a lineman's portion but I didn't like the way it came out. This saddle can be made for well less than $50.

578b87d29166f3735209fb6ccfeb7b4b.jpg

9f12bbb3a5330d32c7f4640ba64f8410.jpg

kenn1320 said:
4. They do have a minimum dollar amount per order, so I have a fairly big investment into this. That being said I had 4 of these made and may sell a couple to help offset my investment.

But me on the list for one if you sell. Or if you order more and want to get some add-on orders to bring down the cost per. I'm in.

BassBoysLLP said:

I'd also like to have quieter material for my fanatic seat. I assume you are thinking of doing the same like Dave demonstrated in his videos

Is that an auto correct, what do you mean by fanatic seat? Same as Dave as in single saddle strap leaned into with low tether hook up? If so, yes thats the way to avoid pinch, along with a long bridge.

Hey guys, looks like there are several people interested. Remember this was built for a big guy, so take these measurements and let me know if your still interested. If you look at my pics the main portion is 8" wide x 21" long then it tapers on each end down to the loops. Stretched out its 42" tip to tip of the loops. The main waist belt is sewn for 26", so with the buckles your probably looking at 30" for smallest waist it would tighten down on(Guessing, dont have a measurement of that). Theres plenty of strap to cut off, even for my 38" waist. I suggest getting a piece of rope, sitting in your current saddle and wrap it down and around your butt and see where 42" ends up for your carabiner location. pm me if it sounds like something that would work for you.

kenn1320 said:
BassBoysLLP said:

Is that an auto correct, what do you mean by fanatic seat? Same as Dave as in single saddle strap leaned into with low tether hook up? If so, yes thats the way to avoid pinch, along with a long bridge.
http://www.fanaticoutdoors.com/

I'd be interested. I'm big. What are the specs on the webbing and buckle?

Back