• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Lone Wolf Dual Step and 3 Step Etrier Modification

g2outdoors

Vendor Rep
I recently modified my Lone Wolf sticks to work better for my style of mobile hunting. With a dual step mod and three etriers I can comfortably hunt over 20' with just three sticks.

PROCESS: Standing on the ground I reach as high as I can and attach the first LW stick. This puts the top of the stick at just over 7 feet high and the first etrier step at just about 15" off the ground.

Here you can see the tape measurement to the top of the first stick.
LW_Mod%2013_zps2kqul30f.jpg

Here is the measurement from the ground to the first step of the etrier.
LW_Mod%2011_zpsbu26rdbv.jpg

The dual top step and a lineman belt are absolutely critical to getting all the benefit from each etrier. If you don't have both, you can't stand at the top of the stick and reach the next 7 feet up the tree with both hands.

To make the dual top step I bought a 6' piece of aluminum from Amazon and followed the directions from the AT thread (links below). I don't have the tools or the experience to make the steps look cool. I used a hacksaw to cut the aluminum in 9.5" sections and my neighbors drill press to drill the 1/4" and 3/8" holes. Then I wrapped the aluminum in electrical tape and bolted it on. It works like a charm. Hockey tape or skateboard deck tap might work better, but I had the electrical tape on hand. It grips great even in rubber boots.

I have now been up and down trees in a hunting scenario about 5 times and I am confident in this system. At first the etriers are a tad bit tricky. After the second or third time it turns into second nature and isn't difficult at all. You WILL NEED a head light to come down from the tree in the dark.

I'm 5'7" and I'm able to get the top of each stick to just a tad over 7'. At hunting height this gets me pretty easily over 20'. If you have normal human legs and not hobbit sized legs you could probably get another couple feet before you'd need a 4 step etrier. I'm not tall enough to make use of a 4 step etrier. I would imagine if you're under 6', a 4 step etrier would be a waste as well.

The step from the etrier to the LW stick is the only one that feels a bit stretchy. It's not difficult, but I notice the difference.
LW_Mod%2018_zps3qsovy5n.jpg

LW_Mod1_zpspmqexeec.jpg

I always loop the etrier over the bottom step. This may not be necessary, but I like that the etrier pulls on the step and not just the "v" bracket.
LW_Mod%2015_zpsyjfapvwh.jpg

LW_Mod%209_zpsv3nrarpq.jpg

I run the etriers through the LW strap and tuck the bottom steps around the dual steps. It keeps the etriers from dragging around.
LW_Mod%208_zpsvi0xuqbd.jpg

LW_Mod%205_zpszds5pldx.jpg

LW_Mod%201_zpssmfyvcqn.jpg

LW_Mod%202_zpsxdcgjzps.jpg

LW_Mod%207_zps5wf0hhwk.jpg

I purchased and orange and 2 purple etriers. The orange always goes on the bottom. I drilled holes in 1 LW stick so I could stack my two Muddy sticks. I used to carry 3 LW and 2 Muddy to get to 20 feet. I'm sure the LW stick with holes is perfectly solid, but I still always attach it at the bottom of the tree...just in case.

3 Step Etrier Link: http://www.cmi-gear.com/collections/webbing-products/products/etriers?variant=640306697
Aluminum Link: http://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Rect..._p_img_10?ie=UTF8&refRID=0YV14MMN6X3FJXTK6DR6
Original Dual Step Mod Link: http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1825660

Nice mod and writeup. I have hobbit sized legs also! I like the idea of a double top step and the single lower steps. That double top step definitely makes using a longer etrier like you are doable once you are off the ground.

Dang, now I have to make a multiple step etrier...

I use LW sticks and have a extra (single) step on my bottom and second LW stick, not on my top stick.
The last time that I hunted I tied a knot in my haul line that was even with the seat of my stand while the rope was straight down to the ground. When I got home I measured the tip of the rope to the knot and it was almost exactly 20 feet. I'm 6' tall.

I'm going to make a two step etrier for my bottom stick and keep the single on my second stick. Getting the first stick higher in the tree is the key, this will help.

I don't always put my stand all the way to 20', but it is nice to know that you can if it is needed.

redsquirrel said:
Nice mod and writeup. I have hobbit sized legs also! I like the idea of a double top step and the single lower steps. That double top step definitely makes using a longer etrier like you are doable once you are off the ground.

Hobbit legs unite! :lol:

The double top step is a necessity to use a longer etrier. Without it the most I could make use of is probably a single step.

Scott F said:
Dang, now I have to make a multiple step etrier...

I use LW sticks and have a extra (single) step on my bottom and second LW stick, not on my top stick.
The last time that I hunted I tied a knot in my haul line that was even with the seat of my stand while the rope was straight down to the ground. When I got home I measured the tip of the rope to the knot and it was almost exactly 20 feet. I'm 6' tall.

I'm going to make a two step etrier for my bottom stick and keep the single on my second stick. Getting the first stick higher in the tree is the key, this will help.

I don't always put my stand all the way to 20', but it is nice to know that you can if it is needed.

If it were me, I'd put a 4 step etrier on your bottom step and leave them off of your second and third sticks altogether. You're tall enough to use all 4 steps of the etrier. Then you'd be free to stretch out your second and third steps to 22+ feet or keep them nice and tight and hunt lower. You could probably get the top of your very first stick really close, or maybe even a little over, 8 feet high.

Good recommendation; I'll consider it for sure.
I am thinking of doing the rope hook-up modification and this will determine to a large extent what my etrier requirement is for me. If it remains as easy to install a step as high as I can with a strap, it may not alter my current plan of:
3 step etrier on the bottom stick,
2 step etrier on the middle stick,
no additional step on the top stick.

If I can't reach as high with the ropes vs LW straps, I'll reconsider the etrier layout.

To be honest, I just like to make and sew stuff with my machine...

I did the rope conversion before I started using etriers. With the etriers, the LW straps work better. That's just my experience though.

Do you have problems with the etrier closing up as you apply weight to it?

I messed up and ordered two Misty Mountain Easy Step Aiders - http://www.rockandsnow.com/10711/Misty- ... tep-Aider/ that I loop over the bottom of my Muddy Stick and the problem is that when I step into the first one it essentially "closes" all of the ones above. This makes it almost impossible to get my next foot in. I hate it when I make a mistake like this!

Re: RE: Re: Lone Wolf Dual Step and 3 Step Etrier Modification

cloudbaseracer said:

I messed up and ordered two Misty Mountain Easy Step Aiders - http://www.rockandsnow.com/10711/Misty- ... tep-Aider/ that I loop over the bottom of my Muddy Stick and the problem is that when I step into the first one it essentially "closes" all of the ones above. This makes it almost impossible to get my next foot in. I hate it when I make a mistake like this!
That is a bad design for sticks for that reason. You need to add something firm like rubber tubing to get it to work.

I personally prefer alternating step etrier like the black diamond. These stay open when climbing without tubing.

cloudbaseracer said:

BassBoys is right. You really need an alternating side step etrier. I don't have any issues with the "closing" that you are talking about. It only takes a minimum amount of concentration to use each etrier step.

So one thing here. I found climbing down was a little difficult to get my foot in there, and , btw, gravity sucks. :)
I am doing the same thing, but using some 5mm accessory cord and doing a cobra weave (props to DIY Sportsman on youtube) to make it more of a "step" than the standard etier. If I get it done today and have a minute, I'll post a pic, but kinda busy with HUNTING :)

LooyvilleLarry said:
So one thing here. I found climbing down was a little difficult to get my foot in there, and , btw, gravity sucks. :)
I am doing the same thing, but using some 5mm accessory cord and doing a cobra weave (props to DIY Sportsman on youtube) to make it more of a "step" than the standard etier. If I get it done today and have a minute, I'll post a pic, but kinda busy with HUNTING :)
I tried doing it with the cobra weave like the video shows and I had the same problems getting my foot in. I am using a section of rubber tubing now and it works much better.
See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=738

The first few times getting down was a little tricky. Now that I've done it many times, coming down is a piece of cake. It just takes practice.

I love this system. I am 5'6" and use three muddy sticks with 5 step etriers from black diamond. I can usually put the sticks at a height where the bottom loop is just above the top step of the muddy stick. I can easily get 20 feet up.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Erniepower said:
I love this system. I am 5'6" and use three muddy sticks with 5 step etriers from black diamond. I can usually put the sticks at a height where the bottom loop is just above the top step of the muddy stick. I can easily get 20 feet up.

I may have to get some of the 5 step etriers and try them out with my Muddy sticks. They pack better, are easier to install and quieter in my opinon. With the LW strap I can get the stick really really tight to the tree. I've never been able to get my Muddy sticks that tight. Is the rope tightness with the Muddy sticks ever a problem with your etriers?

I try to loop the rope higher then pull it tight as I lift the step, then when I pull down the step locks into place. I attach the etriers with a small sling. Same thing as I made my bridge from just much smaller. I will try and post a pic tonight

Yeah, I'm really curious about using the etriers with my Muddy sticks. They've been sitting in the garage since the LWs are working so well.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Lone Wolf Dual Step and 3 Step Etrier Modification

BassBoysLLP said:
cloudbaseracer said:

That is a bad design for sticks for that reason. You need to add something firm like rubber tubing to get it to work.

I personally prefer alternating step etrier like the black diamond. These stay open when climbing without tubing.
I have a black diamond staggered step etrier or three and I camo taped all the steps in it, it's still hard to get my feet in, especially after I have weight on it. I really like the idea of this system, but I have recently switched back to the two step version with 4 muddy sticks and a couple Cranford rope steps at the top. If I can figure out a way to get my big feet in and out of the etriers, that would be great and I wouldn't have to carry extra rope steps when I use the sticks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Lone Wolf Dual Step and 3 Step Etrier Modification

essdub said:
BassBoysLLP said:
cloudbaseracer said:

I have a black diamond staggered step etrier or three and I camo taped all the steps in it, it's still hard to get my feet in, especially after I have weight on it. I really like the idea of this system, but I have recently switched back to the two step version with 4 muddy sticks and a couple Cranford rope steps at the top. If I can figure out a way to get my big feet in and out of the etriers, that would be great and I wouldn't have to carry extra rope steps when I use the sticks

The alpine or the standard? The alpine is tougher to work with

Not sure. I don't remember which one this is , but I know I ordered three different models. Here is a pic of the one I camo taped ( I just ran out to truck to take pic of it after you responded - I'm already packed to go hunting after work tomorrow)

7c2be8e0c6a9ff122da04dd7e8ea119a.jpg

Back