• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Madrock Lifegaurd Vs. GriGri2 for SRT

GBlevins92

Im going to try my hand at srt I have been researching it quite a bit on the forum and elsewhere and I just wanted some input on a belay device im basically copying a RADs system hand asscender with foot loop and belay device. Im leaning towards a Mad Rock lifeguard but wanted input on the two, also Im looking at 10mm static will this be good or do most favor larger.

Im going to try my hand at srt I have been researching it quite a bit on the forum and elsewhere and I just wanted some input on a belay device im basically copying a RADs system hand asscender with foot loop and belay device. Im leaning towards a Mad Rock lifeguard but wanted input on the two, also Im looking at 10mm static will this be good or do most favor larger.
I’m wanting to try this too. I’ve read good reviews on the lifeguard. It also has a lifetime warranty.

I have a MR Lifeguard I'll sell you. I was using it to rappel, but I simply don't do it often. Say 70% of retail TYD?

I have both of them. The mad river didn’t consistently grab on the 9 mm sterling HTP rope that I am using for my rappel line. I needed to manually set and double check it. I could hook it up while standing on the ground, sit dow fast and I would hit the ground without it catching. I was concerned about it not catching if I lost my balance and taking an uncontrolled fall. The grigri2 catches every time. I use the Grigri2 and that’s what I’d recommend. Maybe the lifeguard would work better with larger diameter ropes.

I have both of them. The mad river didn’t consistently grab on the 9 mm sterling HTP rope that I am using for my rappel line. I needed to manually set and double check it. I could hook it up while standing on the ground, sit dow fast and I would hit the ground without it catching. I was concerned about it not catching if I lost my balance and taking an uncontrolled fall. The grigri2 catches every time. I use the Grigri2 and that’s what I’d recommend. Maybe the lifeguard would work better with larger diameter ropes.

I have both as well and this exactly describes what I found in using both (I'm using 11.5mm rope). I really liked the idea of the smaller, lighter Lifeguard but found it less smooth on rappel and the tighter cam spring makes it more likely to disegage / not re-engage if load is relaxed or tension is lost on the tail end of the rope. I feel much safer with the GriGri2 so I stuck with it. In my testing it always grabbed the rope, even if it wasn't tended with my free hand (all testing done at ground level:grinning:). And, to be truthful, I couldn't discern the difference in weight between the two without actually weighing them.

Remember these devices are primarily designed for belaying other climbers and I suspect the Mad Rock works better for that as it seems to feed rope a little better.

I have both as well and this exactly describes what I found in using both (I'm using 11.5mm rope). I really liked the idea of the smaller, lighter Lifeguard but found it less smooth on rappel and the tighter cam spring makes it more likely to disegage / not re-engage if load is relaxed or tension is lost on the tail end of the rope. I feel much safer with the GriGri2 so I stuck with it. In my testing it always grabbed the rope, even if it wasn't tended with my free hand (all testing done at ground level:grinning:). And, to be truthful, I couldn't discern the difference in weight between the two without actually weighing them.

Remember these devices are primarily designed for belaying other climbers and I suspect the Mad Rock works better for that as it seems to feed rope a little better.

Thanks for the input I think you've convinced me to give the grigri2 a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had both but after a few rappels with the lifeguard I returned it, I never had an issue with it locking but it just wasn't as smooth on the rappel, but I've got a grigri 1, I think I got it for a better rope diameter range.

Sorry g2, were not helping you sell it lifeguard!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back