• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

March 8th and the Michigan ticks are out in force!

BCHunter

Vendor Rep
Just got done scouting for a couple hours after work. Found 1 tick on my pants so I took a shower and found 2 latched on to my neck and chest. Had to have the wife check my crack... That's love! Hate these nasty blood suckers, I should just go fishing till it snows again. Just wanted everyone to be on the lookout.

Just got done scouting for a couple hours after work. Found 1 tick on my pants so I took a shower and found 2 latched on to my neck and chest. Had to have the wife check my crack... That's love! Hate these nasty blood suckers, I should just go fishing till it snows again. Just wanted everyone to be on the lookout.
Pulled one off my dog last Thursday (March 2) after a scouting run. Going to be a spring full of them here in Iowa too.

Daayumm (in my best okie accent) If you guys gottem we surely do. And we live on 10 acres of woods but the dogs are on preventative year around so I haven't noticed any.

Guess I shouldn't be surprised. We did have one night that hit -3 but overall a very mild winter.

They stayed out in TN this year. Sob's how in the world they fit into the eco system I will never understand, mosquito's to

Sent from my
Sit drag, Ernie's outdoors linesman belt,
At 20' up

Last edited:
I pulled a half dozen off me already the past couple weekends out scouting.

Be careful with ticks they pass along nasty diseases.

Sent from my
At 20' up

I hunt with a guy that contracted Rocky Mountain spotted fever from a tick and I know another guy who has Lyme disease so they should be taken seriously. Especially in their nymph state of development or " seed tick ". This is obviously when they are more abundant but can still carry the diseases.

I too hate ticks and chiggers. A couple years ago I got ate up with them on a early October hunt in the mountains of Southeast OK.
Use permethrin, it is an amazing product for us deer hunters. Odorless when dry and lasts all season. I apply to all my early season deer hunting clothing and haven't had a single tick or chigger since. Here is a link for it on Amazon. I think you can even buy it at Wal-mart now.

https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Produ...1489095100&sr=8-1&keywords=sawyers+permethrin

I too hate ticks and chiggers. A couple years ago I got ate up with them on a early October hunt in the mountains of Southeast OK.
Use permethrin, it is an amazing product for us deer hunters. Odorless when dry and lasts all season. I apply to all my early season deer hunting clothing and haven't had a single tick or chigger since. Here is a link for it on Amazon. I think you can even buy it at Wal-mart now.

https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Produ...1489095100&sr=8-1&keywords=sawyers+permethrin
Yep amazing product!!!

Yep amazing product!!!

OMG! Please tell me you all aren't buying this overpriced stuff!
Buy Martins 10% permethrin off of amazon and mix it yourself to dilute it. 20:1 and you have the same as Sawyers.

Sent from my
At 20' up

I have been using Permethrin for years and reapply after 5 washings.

Sent from my
At 20' up

Buy Martins 10% permethrin off of amazon and mix it yourself to dilute it. 20:1 and you have the same as Sawyers.

Sent from my
At 20' up
Didn't know about Martin's . Thank u sir. Will check it out.

I use this brand, it is also 10% but runs even a little cheaper than Martins. It comes in a 32 ounce bottle which should last several seasons. Also run on a 20:1 mix rate.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00061MSS0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_naQWybPAZQ19N

Edit: just realized the link I bought last summer has been replaced with martins. I'm guessing that and the product I bought are equivalent products.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've got a feeling they're going to be worse this year because of the mild winter. Never had much of a problem with them in the past but these last few year it seems like I'm pulling one or two off throughout the spring/summer here in Michigan.

Sent from my
At 20' up

Ya, I know about Martins as well and thanks for sharing that as I forgot to mention it. I purely buy Sawyers out of convenience. One bottle a season and I don't have to mess around with dilution, mixing chemicals, and all that. Maybe one day I will go back to mixing the Martins when I have alot more stuff to spray, but I find it much more convenient right now to just have plenty of premixed solution bottled by sawyers ready to go for 15 bucks at my door.

If a bottle of Sawyers will do you, I'm going out on a limb and say you must not have a chigger, tick, mosquito problem! Lol.

SAWYER PREMIUM CLOTHING INSECT REPELLENT

A single application lasts 6 washings on clothing or 42 days (6 weeks) of sun exposure. The 24 ounce bottle of Sawyer Permethrin can treat 4 complete outfits.

Thats the stuff! We have major ticks and chiggers here in Oklahoma. Sawyer's works. I spray my clothing down once before the season and works until winter hits and bugs die off. Thank God for Permethrin

I use the 10% concentrate and dilute it down to about .75% and thoroughly soak all the items rather than spray. It takes more product, and takes longer to dry... but dang is it more effective. Every stitch of fabric kills rather than just the outside layer.

I use the 10% concentrate and dilute it down to about .75% and thoroughly soak all the items rather than spray. It takes more product, and takes longer to dry... but dang is it more effective. Every stitch of fabric kills rather than just the outside layer.

You sound about like me. Lol
I mix it up in a 5 gal bucket soak my clothes and hang dry them. I put them on a hanger, hang them from a clothesline and then put them in my hunting clothes closet in my shed. I do touch up spraying after I come home and hang the clothes for the next day.

Sent from my
At 20' up

Back