• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Mineral lick set up

Here is a picture of the hoe I use to clear the area and to work the mineral into the ground.

IMG_20160227_135552559_zpstcwur9py.jpg

Awesome stuff Dave! I'm gonna try to set a least a couple up this year. I'll let you know how it goes! :D

You didn't mention, but does proximity to water make a difference.

Cbigbear said:
You didn't mention, but does proximity to water make a difference.

I think it helps, especially for helping them find it, but not necessary. Last year my best two were near small ponds. Clay definitely hlps hold the minerals longer.

Did I understand correctly that you are setting them up primarily to allow you to take inventory? Or do you hunt nearby and essentially have your mineral sites as a destination for the deer? I'm asking because I haven't done well hunting over mine, but strategically placed, I can ambush them between two or three other places if they stop by the mineral sites or if I notice they pass nearby and to check things out along the way

Shaun

not sure where you got that but no I don't hunt near mineral sites in fact I find they go dry at the end of August beginning of September I use them to take inventory

Re: RE: Re: Mineral lick set up

DaveT1963 said:
not sure where you got that but no I don't hunt near mineral sites in fact I find they go dry at the end of August beginning of September I use them to take inventory
Ditto. In my younger years I would hunt over them. It was a great place to shoot yearling bucks.

Yeah that's what I thought you were doing. I was just making sure I understood because of the lack of activity there during most of the season.
I have seen some, but like I asked, they were usually passing by these on their way somewhere else.

Shaun

Just to be clear. Hunting over mineral in the early season is a great way to fill the freezer with quality meat, especially when placed in proximity to water.

BassBoysLLP said:
Just to be clear. Hunting over mineral in the early season is a great way to fill the freezer with quality meat, especially when placed in proximity to water.

True but I don't set them up where I want to hunt because I run them every two to three weeks. I usually set then up about 300-500 yards from where I think bucks will bed. What I find is that bigger bucks usually have totally different stinking ground in summer early fall so I'm putting them where I get mainly buck pics.

But water.... Down here that is one of the main things I focus on if it's a dry year

Re: RE: Re: Mineral lick set up

BassBoysLLP said:
Yeah. I usually refresh my sites at least a time or two so that there is enough to last into season. Of course I also believe that minerals salt etc Seep into ground and might still be available after a while anyway.
I know that I see deer near where I put stuff out until right before the rut. But I never have caught deer at the deposits. Maybe I should change a couple to locations that might be more"daylight friendly". But where I have them near the creek at a crossing and another just at the edge of a small clearing I only see deer moving around in the nearby areas. I catch them on camera occasionally during daytime at the sites but I've never shot one over them

Shaun

If you want to hunt them run then at night.... You may be able to condition the does to come during the day.... If you check then during the day they will learn that

Another great set of videos Dave! Unfortunately NY state Regs state we cannot put out any minerals at any time of the year. But I checked out some of your new posts and got a lot of great info from them.

In Pa you can run mineral/bait sites until a month before the season starts. It's a great way to get inventory in the summer and give them good nutrition during antler growth. I haven't done mineral sites for a few years as I hunt mostly state property run and gun and rarely hunt same area more than once or twice. Great videos as usual @DaveT1963 keep spreading the knowledge

Back