• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Missed my biggest

Carcher87

Tonight at last light I had a 6 and a 10 come in on me. I had a shot to my left I did not practice for and had to split 2 trees. I ended up skipping my arrow off of the tree and missing my buck. Now the 6 hunt out and the 10 circled around and came back but by then was to dark. He blew 3 deep breathes and left. If I leave the area alone for 2 days do you think I'll be okay to go back, or do you think I pushed him out?

One encounter I doubt it. He don’t sound to skiddish to me if he circled back to you. Imho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was the circle back a scent check? Did he know it was a hunter or was he just pissed off? If he was just pissed off I'd try again in a few days. If he knew it was a hunter I would try to switch trees closer to where he came from incase he avoids that area by 60 yards as he goes through. I've seen both bucks and does move over 50-60 yards behind different cover to avoid a hunter.

Yeah if he didn't bolt, he was probably getting angry at the 6.

Are you left handed?

Public or private? Public- that was your chance. Private I have no experience.

It's almost a sanctuary it's a piece of private land that sites beside public. I actually pushed out 7 doe walking in to the new area. Figured I'd set up on the bedding and see what happens. The 2 bucks came in and scent checked each bed. When he circled back he can in and turned and left the way he came then climbed the ridge. He do however Blow 3 times. It was a sound I have heard, not a short wheeze but it almost sounds like he was taking a deep breathe then releasing it all at once

After the miss I don't think he thought hunter, but after he climbed the ridge he might have scented me. I was thinking about waiting till wither Saturday evening or Next Wednesday we are supposed to get a temp drop of 15*. I thought about waiting until then

After the miss I don't think he thought hunter, but after he climbed the ridge he might have scented me. I was thinking about waiting till wither Saturday evening or Next Wednesday we are supposed to get a temp drop of 15*. I thought about waiting until then
Sad to say, I believe that was your chance. The sound you heard was him telling you he knows you were there. Anytime I've heard that horrible danger snort they don't come back for more.

He scented you IMHO or at least knew you were there. I would leave the spot alone until the rut is almost kicking in (31 oct - first few days of Nov) fully kicks in and then I would set up on a new tree downwind of the doe bedding. If you decide to go back to same spot I would hunt down wind of where the buck blew at you from.... I'm my opinion he knows where the danger came from and if he comes back it will probably be from the spot he circled to and scented you from.... he knows that is the best spot to scent you from that is why he went there. Do NOT go in and prep a tree and then hunt later - first time in, set up down wind and hopefully he hasn't lost confidence in the area and moved on? But I would give it one final shot I have seen spooked bucks return during the late prerut / rut.... you can't kill them if you don't get a little aggressive.

I was still down wind when he blew. Next Wednesday out temps drop from mid 70s to high of 57. And Tuesday it will rain so I think I am going to go out Wednesday evening, set up closer in the direction where he came from and hope he comes back.

I'm not giving up. This section of land has never been hunted and has been a sanctuary from the game lands it borders. I think he will stay clear for a few days but go back to checking the beds.

Haha my helper at work said just go throw vanilla extract everywhere. They will all come running lol

I was still down wind when he blew. Next Wednesday out temps drop from mid 70s to high of 57. And Tuesday it will rain so I think I am going to go out Wednesday evening, set up closer in the direction where he came from and hope he comes back.
This is my plan too, trying to watch this weather and hunt smart instead of hard this season. You must be in the Northeast cause my weather says the same!

He scented you IMHO or at least knew you were there. I would leave the spot alone until the rut is almost kicking in (31 oct - first few days of Nov) fully kicks in and then I would set up on a new tree downwind of the doe bedding. If you decide to go back to same spot I would hunt down wind of where the buck blew at you from.... I'm my opinion he knows where the danger came from and if he comes back it will probably be from the spot he circled to and scented you from.... he knows that is the best spot to scent you from that is why he went there. Do NOT go in and prep a tree and then hunt later - first time in, set up down wind and hopefully he hasn't lost confidence in the area and moved on? But I would give it one final shot I have seen spooked bucks return during the late prerut / rut.... you can't kill them if you don't get a little aggressive.

I was all set to type a response. Then I read Dave's. I completely agree.

Change up your spot, but you can still get him.

I guess that’s why I never kill the big ones because I would have hunted 30-50 yards closer to him the NEXT day!
I think the hard factors here are the fact they never have human encounters there.

They have human encounters ALL the time. It's at a bad kids wilderness camp. It's only hunter by me and 2 others for the first time this year. It had been a sanctuary for so long or them to get out off the game lands. I this I'm going to hunt 30yds closer to him next Wednesday when to temp drops. There are at least 3 bucks that I know of now. And back I'm sure there's a lot more. Worse thing is I won't see anything... common with hunting lol

I wouldn’t wait to long. Imho there was a reason they are/were there when that reason disappears so will they

Back