• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Mountain bike for access?

DannyAttacksTheMountain

309fa79c80d25ace41de229067d48e33.jpg

Does anyone use a mountain bike for access to remote hunting locations? This should be a good way to cover some ground and save some time to get to some remote areas as long as terrain will allow it and shouldn’t be a problem since we’re not loaded down with a giant stand on our backs.

Thanks all,
DATM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I can certainly understand that. I hunt mainly hill/mountain country and I don’t believe I’ll be able to go far up anything even remotely steep. Yet we do have lots of logging roads that run parallel with the hillside which is leading me to believe that a mountain bike may be a very resourceful tool in traveling around the hill vs up it.

Redsquirrel, What bike do you have?

I can certainly understand that. I hunt mainly hill/mountain country and I don’t believe I’ll be able to go far up anything even remotely steep. Yet we do have lots of logging roads that run parallel with the hillside which is leading me to believe that a mountain bike may be a very resourceful tool in traveling around the hill vs up it.

Redsquirrel, What bike do you have?

It might work for that. I have a giant that I use for actual mountain biking, but I have another old mongoose that I use specifically when I'm using it for hunting.

It might work for that. I have a giant that I use for actual mountain biking, but I have another old mongoose that I use specifically when I'm using it for hunting.

Is your mongoose set up with the fatter tires for the terrain?

I had a Diamond Back, now I have a Trek Rumblefish.

All depends on where you are hunting. I just understand Red not using it in the Watchung Mts. LOL.

I used it mainly on flat land or slow rolling hills.

I mountain bike a decent amount and have never used mine for deer hunting. Run and gun turkey hunting I use it all the time, it's great for that.

For deer I have a few hangups as I would use it, these are just some of the things I think about with it. Biggest is coming up with a system to haul my bow that I feel comfortable is still going to get through brush on singletrack. Also worry about dumping it, as anyone who has mountain biked enough knows you will do from time to time, and getting hurt worse because of carrying a pack full of sticks on my back. And/or destroying my bow which would wreck a good part of my season since I've never seen the need to carry an up to date backup bow. That setup in the kiui ad above looks pretty slick, but I'd still worry about dumping my rig and wrecking my bow. Would have to stay on much milder roads than I have in mind for that to work. Thought about a trailer and PIA factor there outweighs benefits as I see it and would also restrict where I could get to. Maybe 10% of my current spots are even candidates where I could materially cut time from my "commute" to the stand.

I mountain bike a decent amount and have never used mine for deer hunting. Run and gun turkey hunting I use it all the time, it's great for that.

For deer I have a few hangups as I would use it, these are just some of the things I think about with it. Biggest is coming up with a system to haul my bow that I feel comfortable is still going to get through brush on singletrack. Also worry about dumping it, as anyone who has mountain biked enough knows you will do from time to time, and getting hurt worse because of carrying a pack full of sticks on my back. And/or destroying my bow which would wreck a good part of my season since I've never seen the need to carry an up to date backup bow. That setup in the kiui ad above looks pretty slick, but I'd still worry about dumping my rig and wrecking my bow. Would have to stay on much milder roads than I have in mind for that to work. Thought about a trailer and PIA factor there outweighs benefits as I see it and would also restrict where I could get to. Maybe 10% of my current spots are even candidates where I could materially cut time from my "commute" to the stand.

I hear ya man. Yeah I think for me it would just be cutting some time as I travel to my out of the way spots where I sometimes have a three hour walk. But getting the deer out would be a different story. I suppose I would have to bike back and get the deer cart. I also would wonder if anyone is going to try and steal it from me. My plan for that would be to lock it to the tree and cover it with a camo net and possibly brush it in. I would also be using to get probably not even halfway to my remote spot as the terrain just wouldn’t allow the bike to get any closer. So yeah it seems like a good idea/resource yet it probably depends on your situation. I’m a huge fan of the kayak idea to get where other hunters prob aren’t yet I’m not around any large bodies of water where that would be useful. Instead a mountain bike may be suffice. As far as the bow being damaged and safety concern I certainly agree. But hey man you only live once!

I ride all the time and may try it turkey hunting but so far i don't like it deer hunting. I either get to sweating or get all muddy riding to my spots. I may toy with it some more this season

I ride all the time and may try it turkey hunting but so far i don't like it deer hunting. I either get to sweating or get all muddy riding to my spots. I may toy with it some more this season

Sounds like a good plan

I have used a fat ebike for two years mostly on local farms. It is quick, quiet, I think turkeys and deer hardly know what went by in the dark.
I do not use it much on public land because of possible theft or because it is not allowed.

I built a beast of an electric bikes this spring. It is going to drastically reduce my commute and let me get to some places I couldn't before.

I am putting a heavy duty luggage rack and huge saddle bags on the back. I hope to be able to bring a quartered deer out in one trip in the bags

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I’m researching the E bike method. I may do this for some large tracks i want to hunt. I’m 40 a would like anything that is a touch easier on my body

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back