• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Muddy or Lone wolf??

Jefferson10940

Staff member
Vendor Rep
SH Member
If you could only choose 1 which would it be? Seems like I can get some Muddy for a bit cheaper, but are the lone wolf worth the extra $$?

I would have to say hawk, at least if we are talking climbing sticks.
Is that allowed? I just feel that they are much more customizable, and I won't leave anything stock for long. Being able to cut and drill to where I want things is HUGE.

For stands, I would say Lone Wolf or XOP
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with Ikeman that hawk is the way to go. Easy to install versa buttons and rope mod and you get steps on each side.

I've haven't used the Muddy or Lone Wolf sticks but just purchased my first Lone Wolf stand and it's awesome. So personally if those were my only choices I'd lean towards Lone Wolf.

I'm sorry yes climbing sticks ... I will look at the hawk!

I have used all three. Hawk are great muddy pros with aiders have advantages too. The cam and compact features of muddy pros are nice. A modified hawk would be even better. Hawk are definitely the best 3 step sticks.

Last edited:
The lone wolf's are nice because they're nice and light. The muddy's are nice because they are shorter and have dual steps. The muddy quality control is lacking though. I also am using a set of hawks that I've cut down and modified.

The lone wolf's are nice because they're nice and light. The muddy's are nice because they are shorter and have dual steps. The muddy quality control is lacking though. I also am using a set of hawks that I've cut down and modified.
Maybe I will have to cut up and modify my Hawk sticks> They are great sticks. Light and well made. I do have the rope modification and versa button on my Hawks. Maybe I should shorten them too.

Last edited:
I agree with them hawks. 3 steps , seem to be better.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Looks like Dan Infalt may be toying with the idea of going into production with his stand and stick designs. I would consider buying another stand/stick combo if he does. If I'm not mistaken, his stand is very light and he has focused a lot of the machining on stiffening joints and noise reduction. I'll see if I can scrounge up the 1 picture of the stand that has surfaced.

6a406f7c6ccba475fead3e8bb0101ca9.jpg

Interesting. Do we quit saddle hunting. Dan is a great hunter better than me and I learn a lot from him. I do wonder if sometimes if he could use a saddle

Interesting. Do we quit saddle hunting. Dan is a great hunter better than me and I learn a lot from him. I do wonder if sometimes if he could use a saddle

He posted a video a couple weeks ago where a saddle would have put him in the right spot... as much as he loves hang and hunt though, it would be a hard sell.

The muddy's hands down. The rope system that they have is KILLER, it can't be beat, it is so fast and so quiet. I like the fact that they only have two steps per stick not three like the LW's. This makes the total stability of the stick better, being that both steps are close to anchor point where the strap connects to the stick. With the 3 steps per stick the bottom step, farthest from the strap, can kick off of the tree.
I like having a step on both side, no need to play the left, right, left game. I don't fold my muddy steps in, I find it pointless and a waste of time. I also hate cleats that pivot, with the short sticks like muddy they are not needed.
NOW, all that said I have the pre recall muddy's. When they were good, cleats that didn't pivot. I have had LW's and sold them, there is no stick that I have seen that can rival the muddy in my mind.

Thanks,
Boswell

The muddy's hands down. The rope system that they have is KILLER, it can't be beat, it is so fast and so quiet. I like the fact that they only have two steps per stick not three like the LW's. This makes the total stability of the stick better, being that both steps are close to anchor point where the strap connects to the stick. With the 3 steps per stick the bottom step, farthest from the strap, can kick off of the tree.
I like having a step on both side, no need to play the left, right, left game. I don't fold my muddy steps in, I find it pointless and a waste of time. I also hate cleats that pivot, with the short sticks like muddy they are not needed.
NOW, all that said I have the pre recall muddy's. When they were good, cleats that didn't pivot. I have had LW's and sold them, there is no stick that I have seen that can rival the muddy in my mind.

Thanks,
Boswell

If you don't like modifying stuff muddys are better And
If you don't mind tightening all the loose parts on a muddy when they come out of the box and don't want to add ropes and cut down hawks buy the muddy. A short muddy will be heavier than a modified hawk. Put aiders on them and 3 short sticks will get you to 20 feet Modified hawks are better than muddy sticks I am sure unmodifed the muddies win
Make sure they are muddy pro sticks

Last edited:
As you can tell, everyone has different opinions. I prefer LWs over Muddy. Of course I am comparing after completing the rope mod on the LWs.

I wanted weight reduction, After all that's the reason of having the system anyway. Double step just adds unnecessary weight in my opinion. Cam system also adds unnecessary weight. Also needed an extra muddy stick to get the same height as LWs. Now that I have thrown the strap mod on I'm 18ft-20ft up with only 3 sticks.

Both systems are great but it's boils down to personal preference and mission. I sold the Muddy(s) after trying both systems.

3ff716193a025b12b1796dccaa1534de.jpg

Last edited:
a9ce2d5695db8f6242208196030a80ce.jpg

These are the sticks I'm working on in my spare time. Total weight without rope is 1.5lb. Total length is 24", longer than Muddy, because I'm 6' tall and can utilize the bigger spacing. Similar to muddy dual step but fixed, which saves hardware weight.

I'm still contemplating adding cam cleats. They are more convenient than the versa button rope mod, but also heavier (both the cleat and the heavier rope vs amsteel) and the cheapest I've found is ~$16 each for that addition.

a9ce2d5695db8f6242208196030a80ce.jpg

These are the sticks I'm working on in my spare time. Total weight without rope is 1.5lb. Total length is 24", longer than Muddy, because I'm 6' tall and can utilize the bigger spacing. Similar to muddy dual step but fixed, which saves hardware weight.

I'm still contemplating adding cam cleats. They are more convenient than the versa button rope mod, but also heavier (both the cleat and the heavier rope vs amsteel) and the cheapest I've found is ~$16 each for that addition.

You and Ernie need to start a hunting equipment company

I got a set of 4 lone wolf sticks that were display models on eBay for $100 a couple of years ago. Haven't seen any reason to switch yet. Considered doing the rope mod but I'm pretty quiet with the cams so they stay for now.

Back