• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

My new mobile climbing method. EONPOW and aider

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
I used my EONPOW's a few times last year with my mods and even shot a couple deer while using them. I loved @Boudreaux's screw method so I added that in. My first crack at adding the screws didn't work when I tried putting the nuts on with JB weld and it broke on the left climber the first time I hunted with them. It was 6am and cold and I had to get creative to climb the tree so I made a makeshift aider out of my tether and climbed with the right climber. That was the morning I shot my buck! With that in my head here is a photo of what I came up with. Cuts the weight of the system in about half and its at least almost as easy, if not as easy to climb as with 2 of the climbers. Plus eliminating one of the climbers cuts down on the noise potential. All it is the red squirrel aider for my left foot and the EONPOW climber on the right. I have incorportated the metolius easy aider foot portion onto my aider. I did the screw mod plus added a bungee for the back of the foot and a cam buckle with rubber tubing for the top of the foot on the climber. This will most likely be my mobile method for places I can't use spurs next year which is about 1/2 of my hunting. Maybe I'll even get a video up in the near future :tearsofjoy:.
f6ba002ab5f6e0418f2a1c62b62e5c3b.jpg

029c17178f0aa1d68b0e41dba12f0619.jpg

I love that idea as weird as it is. Those crazy Chinese things are fun. Let’s get @Boudreaux to do a video of your method. He did a good job the first time. And those Chinese things are cheaper than fancy spurs and the whole system is light and with one climber it is quiet. It just will not work on every tree. And they are legal everywhere too.

If @fawnzy makes a lighter climber that works on bigger trees even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
I love that idea as weird as it is. Those crazy Chinese things are fun. Let’s get @Boudreaux to do a video of your method. He did a good job the first time. And those Chinese things are cheaper than fancy spurs and the whole system is light and with one climber it is quiet. It just will not work on every tree. And they are legal everywhere too.

If @fawnzy makes a lighter climber that works on bigger trees even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Or he says, "Why didn't I just bring my stepps?" He said it last year. :tearsofjoy:

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Interesting, but at that point, why not just go to a couple Petzl footcords girth hitched to the tree? or even just 6mm prussic cord girth hitched with adjustable foot loop. you're pretty much setting up a split texas-prussik rope ascension system. you could even use the second cord as as anchor when you get to hunting height.
foot tape:
068w0000001OqauAAC

Pardon the crude drawing..but you get the picture:
upload_2018-4-20_12-27-20.png

Interesting, but at that point, why not just go to a couple Petzl footcords girth hitched to the tree? or even just 6mm prussic cord girth hitched with adjustable foot loop. you're pretty much setting up a split texas-prussik rope ascension system. you could even use the second cord as as anchor when you get to hunting height.
foot tape:
068w0000001OqauAAC

View attachment 4472
I think that the enopows provide a solid and continuous platform compared to a double aider method. I expect you would get bigger moves with less effort with what Red has proposed.

I would guess you have a lot more balance on an Eonpow climber

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I get what your saying, but if I understand them correctly, you end up climbing slightly pigeon toed, and still have to stand on one leg(off center)where as a method like above, your toe can be inline with the center of the tree and braced. A decent set of boots with vibram soles and its like climbing a wall. Rubber boots...eh probably no dice.

foot tape:
068w0000001OqauAAC

View attachment 4472
I thought about that and maybe I'll give it a shot. The climber provides a nice stable platform to stand on while you move the aider up the tree. I an probably be up a limbless tree in a minute. When you add limbs in it will take a little longer to move the aider around, but the climber can go around them very easy. 2 aiders would be a little more work to go around limbs. It is a good idea though and I may give it a shot. The nice thing about having your aider girth hitched above your head is that it provides a pretty solid spot to stand on.

Makes sense, I definitely see the advantage to having a somewhat solid platform.

I kinda like where you are headed with this. I am out on the steel china version but this concept has some merit if it can be done with aluminum and more geared to stealth hunting.

Every time I open one of these new climbing threads I’m like that is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. These guys are absolutely nuts...2 hours later I’m in the back yard connected to the tree going hmmm man these guys are onto something here.

My fiancé looking out the window shaking her head.

Every time I open one of these new climbing threads I’m like that is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. These guys are absolutely nuts...2 hours later I’m in the back yard connected to the tree going hmmm man these guys are onto something here.

My fiancé looking out the window shaking her head.
I'm surprised my wife's head hasn't fallen off...she's been shaking it like that for likeb12 years...

@redsquirrel what ever became of this??

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk
I used it once this season so far. It worked great. I was up the tree in no time. The biggest limitation is tree size. I have developed an awesome system with my stepps and they are more flexible. I've been taking them because I know I can get up a bigger tree if needed. The day I used the eonpow I was going to hunt a tree I had already picked out and I knew I would be able to climb it.

I used it once this season so far. It worked great. I was up the tree in no time. The biggest limitation is tree size. I have developed an awesome system with my stepps and they are more flexible. I've been taking them because I know I can get up a bigger tree if needed. The day I used the eonpow I was going to hunt a tree I had already picked out and I knew I would be able to climb it.
I figured the tree limitation would make it hard to go in blind with these. Thanks for the report!

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Back