• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

My review of New Tribe Kestrel Saddle

DaveT1963

Vendor Rep
As most of you are aware I'm pretty critical of my equipment as I know what I like and I usually wind up altering things to make them work for me. This saddle is no different.

However I will say this up front, I could easily strap this thing on and go hunting without making a single alteration to it and probably do great. I was able to climb in it this evening and find my comfort zone within seconds with very few adjustments. I used an eye level hook up and I did loosen the waist strap a little once I was at height. Here is the great part, even with the leg straps fully engaged, I was easily able to rotate and get my 360 shooting. The design on this thing is great and the workmanship and craftsmanship is flawless.

The only tweak I would make to this saddle is I would ditch the leg strap buckles myself, and opt for a sewn Loop for my leg straps with a simple adjustment strap. I find the buckles, while they are easier to put on, are a little bit heavy and there's always the potential for noise without some kind of covering. The waist buckle is perhaps a little Overkill as well but if you are safety-conscious it's probably one of the better ones I've seen

So overall I would highly recommend the Kestrel.... especially for a new person that has little to no experience as this thing is ready to hunt right out of the box. New tribe and Boswell did a great job designing this thing... They listen to a lot of our wants and desires and executed it pretty dang good. I am pleased with my purchase and I will hunt with it this year... Although I might still cut off the leg straps. :)

Ditch the buckles, add some slides, and sell me the buckles. :D

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The Kestrel would be RIDICULOUS if there were light/quiet buckles.
In my estimates with a scale, the buckles are about 1 1/2#
They work great though...and are load bearing!

Yes the buckles are load bearing and idiot proof lol!! For some they aren't needed and for others they are just an added safety feature. DaveT is in my book another innovator within thhis form of hunting and knows what works for him. Overall nice review DaveT and wish you the best of luck this season!!

I have two hunts out my Kestrel so far and love it. Been away from saddle hunting for about 6-7 years so still learning what adjustments work for me. My back is really screwed up and I can honestly say this saddle is the most comfortable I have ever been in a tree. Zero pain is unbelievable to me and something I never experienced on a hang on stand. Thinking there are no real pressure points in the saddle and being more of a leaner is a much better position for me for extended time in the tree.

The Kestrel would be RIDICULOUS if there were light/quiet buckles.
In my estimates with a scale, the buckles are about 1 1/2#
They work great though...and are load bearing!
How lite do you want them. I think they our lite. How would you make them lighter. Just curious.

OK I have spent about 60 hours so far in the kestrel. I sure am liking this thing. It is really comfortable and I am liking the adjustment strap on the leg loops. Still not thrilled with the buckles on the leg straps but they really don't cause any issue and it does make it getting on/off easier. Last Saturday, I was able to actually turn 180 degrees on my Klemz platform and face away from the tree without doing anything but loosening my tether. I shot my doe to my left while facing away form the tree.

Right now the only recommendations I have are:
1. wished the lineman's loops extended further forward.... Just gets a little hard to see the hook in while climbing with a jacket on.
2. I wish new Tribe would design a quick connect bag (for tether, bridge, etc. ) on the right hand side so you can carry the needed accessories in but easily take the bag off while hunting. I just like nothing on my saddle while hunting as I have had my current bag snag on rough bark too many times while maneuvering. I would gladly pay for an assessor bag with a quick attach function (hint, hint)

This saddle is definitely a winner and far above what has been out there previously. I am very hard on my gear, and I am picky as crap (as most on here know) - and this thing just continues to win me over. I could easily go to my modified saddles as they are designed exactly the way I like and use them.... however, so far the kestrel has performed flawlessly under every test I have put it through and you cant sit in the thing and not recognize the quality immediately. I have hunted in leaning trees, big trees, little trees and put this thing through a lot of wear and tear traipsing through thorn country - so fat it is standing up perfectly.

So to New tribe staff and Boswell - great job guys. I will be making another purchase soon and will call to see if I can get a custom pouch made out of similar material.

Last edited:
but easily take the bag off while hunting. I just like nothing on my saddle while hunting as I have had my current bag snag on rough bark too many times while maneuvering. I would gladly pay for an assessor bag with a quick attach function (hint, hint)

I have to agree with you here. Not only do I not like wearing the pouches on my saddle while I hunt but I especially don't like them while I walk in!

I have noticed the molle loops are EXTREMELY tight on my Kestrel and slotting in different quick attach accessories is very difficult... I might have to try the NT molle accessory pack, though what I use is not all that dissimilar.

I hunt the drill & bolt method. I too found sagging a problem with the weight of the bolts & drill attached to the saddle. I put them both on my treehopper linemans belt. It fits higher than the saddle & the weight totes better. It doesn't seem to get in the way of the saddle rigging. Haven't hunted with it yet but fiddling in the backyard it seems like it might work, for me.

I was thinking more of a quick connect pallets like the old buddy lock system something that could easily snap on and would be easy to take on and off the belt. I personally prefer to carry everything in my Daypack for the walk in and then just hang it on my saddle as I climb up

I hunt the drill & bolt method. I too found sagging a problem with the weight of the bolts & drill attached to the saddle. I put them both on my treehopper linemans belt. It fits higher than the saddle & the weight totes better. It doesn't seem to get in the way of the saddle rigging. Haven't hunted with it yet but fiddling in the backyard it seems like it might work, for me.
Best way to deal with a sagging saddle is to throw your linemans belt(hooked to opposite loops) over a shoulder/neck and snug it a bit....for walking anyways
Less stuff/less weight

I was thinking more of a quick connect pallets like the old buddy lock system something that could easily snap on and would be easy to take on and off the belt. I personally prefer to carry everything in my Daypack for the walk in and then just hang it on my saddle as I climb up

Best way to deal with a sagging saddle is to throw your linemans belt(hooked to opposite loops) over a shoulder/neck and snug it a bit....for walking anyways
Less stuff/less weight
Sounds good, I'm sure an experiment or two is in the near future.

Back