• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

my thoughts on the Kestrel so far

hickstick

my thoughts on the Kestrel? well, in the 4 hours I've gotten to sit in it so far:
the good
  • comfy
  • secure
  • easy on\off
  • nice to be able to wear it from truck to stand and be ready to climb
  • both the linemans loops and bridge loops are fully open and easy to clip/tie into
  • I was comfy enough with a back strap that I could have taken a nap (even closed my eyes for a minute to see if i really could have fallen asleep.

the bad
  • none

the 'I just need time to tinker'
  • the bridge was a little long for my liking so I shortened it by tying a new figure 8 followthru and adding a stopper knot to address the excess tag end
  • the only hip pinch I got was when I lifted my feet completely off the platform and wrapped them around the trunk. as long as I kept my feet to the sides or platform side of the trunk I was fine.
  • the Molle loops are sewn VERY tight. I struggled to insert the webbing loops of my dump bag through them.
  • with the dump bag loaded with my tether, hangers, and some extra ropes...it pulled the saddle down my backside as I walked....but probably cause I didn't cinch it tight enough before leaving the truck.
  • I did not buy the back strap with the saddle...I used my strap from my sitdrag and it functioned fine...but I' going to add blakes hitches to the back strap so I can adjust the height. (and maybe add a little padding)
  • with the size of the loops and the knots on the bridge I had a shortened length to rotate the bridge through the 'biner.
  • the waist strap sits between the top of my pelvis and the trochanter of my femur with put it squarely on my leatherman on my belt which made it a bit awkward at first. my have to move the leatherman to a molle loop.
all in all....very positive!!!

Good feedback. The molle webbing comment is something I have consistently seen people bring up. This is an easy enough fix for Aerohunter. I also recommend adding a second row of molle webbing below the first to make the connection more secure. That's what I do on my SitDrags and it makes a big difference.

I agree with hicktstic.

I had my first weekend in the Kestrel also.
Being new to saddles and it has been decades since I have done any serious rock climbing I decided to go to an existing hang on stand and try the saddle above that so I could get used to it.
It took a little bit of time getting used to it, I had never used a Blakes hitch before, I ended up clipping the loop at the end of the tree tether to the carabiner also as a backup.
I thought the bridge was a little too long, so I will experiment with that.
The Blakes hitches on the tether also seemed long, I had to put the tether as high as I could reach.

One thing that I have not seen mentioned on here is selecting trees with nice branches and forks.
Both trees I used this weekend had large branches to stand on, so I never used a platform.
the 2nd tree I used I actually tied off to an overhead branch, I could face the tree, face away from the tree, or anything in between, using the limb as a platform. I will be looking for more setups like this.

I really enjoyed getting in the saddle, GREAT PRODUCT.

Back