• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

My Tree platform

Ugly Duck

Built this today, got home and tried it out. Rock solid, very happy with how it turned out. Will be wrapped with hockey tape to silence noise.

Next step is to make a rope version that eliminates the ratchet strap.

Size 12 shoe for reference

e1cc1d5a612dc5d703d488a490a86e8f.jpg
947c63df066a18bb06681bb82590ccdf.jpg
224cc468304745eaeedaa198215e03be.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brilliant idea...!!!
May I suggest using a Lone wolf strap and two screw links ...?!?!? Should cam over...?!?!?

Ernie had a great idea one day, then he built a bunch of platforms and loads of people use and love them...

...now he hunts from conventional stands.

Watch out!!

On a serious note, that step is pretty cool. I love all DIY projects, but working with metal is out of my comfort zone. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Brilliant idea...!!!
May I suggest using a Lone wolf strap and two screw links ...?!?!? Should cam over...?!?!?

I like the idea, I may have to tinker with that. I do have to say that if used correctly a ratchet can be done very quietly. I will have to play with the angles to see if it cams over friendly.

Ernie had a great idea one day, then he built a bunch of platforms and loads of people use and love them...

Watch out!!

On a serious note, that step is pretty cool. I love all DIY projects, but working with metal is out of my comfort zone. Good luck.

Do I know Ernie?

I like the idea, I may have to tinker with that. I do have to say that if used correctly a ratchet can be done very quietly. I will have to play with the angles to see if it cams over friendly.

If you use a ratchet is there a reason to cam it over? Or an OCB? This is meant as a platform or climbing step? Looks like a good platform. I️ think you’re into something

Ratchet straps work on my preset stackable sticks , but I love my over center buckles in the dark cuz I've had so many blood blisters pinching my fingers in the dark trying to be quiet.

If you use a ratchet is there a reason to cam it over? Or an OCB? This is meant as a platform or climbing step? Looks like a good platform. I️ think you’re into something

The cam over was in reference to Redfeathers idea of placing bolts and using lone wolf loop style straps

Havent put it on the scale yet but I would guess a little over a pound. Not too bad at all. A set of 2 should pack nice and get me almost all the way around the tree
Not as bad as I thought

Very similar to a wild edge stepp, looks a little bigger. The cam over idea was a good suggestion. Camming the steps over properly is easier, quieter and probably more solid than a ratchet strap.

Very similar to a wild edge stepp, looks a little bigger. The cam over idea was a good suggestion. Camming the steps over properly is easier, quieter and probably more solid than a ratchet strap.

I wanted to get a little larger footprint to prevent my feet from getting sore, also going to try and add "wings" to one of them to be able to make it completely around the tree with 2 to 3 steps max

If any of you guys would consider loaning me just 1/100000 of your ingenuity I'd be in debt to you for life. Nice work Ugly Duck!!!

If any of you guys would consider loaning me just 1/100000 of your ingenuity I'd be in debt to you for life. Nice work Ugly Duck!!!
I'm surprised you can do that math!!!!

I thought long and hard about that burn. And then I knew you would like it and clicked "post reply" :D

Watch out!!

Hahaha. I have a feeling that ones gonna stick around for a while......

I'll be out in the saddle this weekend trying to make up for it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the compliments guys! More to come, I will be building quite a few of these. Along with finding ways to improve on it to add more radial tree coverage.

Love the idea! Just want to point out that rebar has a lot of impurities in the metal and welds often break do to this. While I'm no metallurgist I'm just speaking from experience. Like I said your idea is great just leery of the material.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Love the idea! Just want to point out that rebar has a lot of impurities in the metal and welds often break do to this. While I'm no metallurgist I'm just speaking from experience. Like I said your idea is great just leery of the material.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am aware of this but I am glad you pointed it out, for the record I would only use this as a small platform while connected to the saddle. So given the event something let go I would still be attached to the tree. Also the bottom side is welded the entire length of the rebar. The strap locations however are obviously the critical contact point.

Back