NC / MI Bowhunter...

Discussion in 'Welcome!' started by Nick Aquilino, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Nick Aquilino

Nick Aquilino New Member

Greetings from North Carolina. Much to my wife's dismay, about 2 years ago my father in law who is a die hard Michigan bowhunter introduced me to bowhunting. I don't come from a hunting family but immediately was drawn to the skill and technique of bowhunting. I typically hunt his well developed 120+ acre deer camp up in the Lapeer County, MI. I harvested my first doe there this year. I have been getting curious about NC Public Game lands within striking distance of my home in Charlotte, NC - particularly after reading and learning about Eberhart's methods and success on public lands. This is what is brought me to the idea of saddle hunting; being able to be mobile, safe and flexible to hunt a variety of locations. I have an idea of the saddle and climbing method I'd like to use for this season; still trying to figure out the platform. This forum, the members and the podcasts have answered a ton of my questions so far but definitely looking forward to learning a bunch more. Thanks for all the info, cheers! Nick.

2. redsquirrel

redsquirrel Administrator
    Staff Member

Welcome to the site!

3. Bigterp

Bigterp Active Member

Welcome Nick

4. huck72412

huck72412 Well-Known Member

Welcome Nick!

5. sureshotscott

sureshotscott Active Member

Welcome. I do a lot of hunting in Lapeer county MI. Love it up there.

6. kelly.jayp

kelly.jayp Well-Known Member

Welcome Nick. I live in Waxhaw and this season was my first in the saddle. Got a kestrel. Loving it

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

7. Sam T

Sam T Member

Welcome, I'm north of you in Troutman. S.Mountain Gamelands aren't to far from you and the Yadkin River has a lot. IF you want hogs start at the fork of the S. Yadkin and Yadkin Rivers. Good Luck

kelly.jayp likes this.
  8. blueridgebowhunter

blueridgebowhunter New Member

Uwharrie National Forest is close to Charlotte, and it’s huge. Very low pressure during bow season!

kelly.jayp likes this.
  9. kelly.jayp

I had been wondering about that. I have a lease in Virginia and it would take me the same amount of time to get to either one of those. I had a lease in Anson County for six years and the property sold at the beginning of last year‘s hunting season. I may have to try that out with a kayak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blueridgebowhunter likes this.
  10. Bwhana

Bwhana New Member

Welcome to the site. I'm in Hickory and have hunted Uwharrie off and on for over 40 years. Ignore the horse riders and atvs, the deer are so used to them they will wait on them to pass and then keep on their same path. There are a few big bucks on the main section, but I would suggest focusing on the smaller tracts with prime food on neighboring private land if you want a trophy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

blueridgebowhunter likes this.
  11. Anslo

Anslo New Member

12. Anslo

Anslo New Member

good morning Sam just wanted to give you a shout out. I know it's short notice what would you like to do some Urban bowhunting this weekend in Yadkinville North Carolina got permission to hunt a piece of property inside the city limits the 18th is the last day .....that being said knock the dust off of that bow and let's put a couple more backstraps in the freezer. let me know it ASAP

redsquirrel likes this.
  13. valerio024

valerio024 Active Member

There are some good deer in Lapeer, get out as soon as the snow melts and do some spring scouting, it'll give you a big advantage come fall.

14. Anslo

Anslo New Member

Hogs on the creek!!!

Attached Files:

g2outdoors and kelly.jayp like this.
  15. kelly.jayp

16. ImThere

ImThere Well-Known Member

welcome to the site

17. Anslo

Anslo New Member

thanks for the welcome ..for the last several weeks I have really enjoyed reading a lot of the post and taking bits and pieces of information from different individuals on how to topic s and saddle hunting tactics.....my hunting buddy and great friend Sam T has been trying to get me to saddlehunt for several years....I'm still working out the Kinks but I truly think I'm going to love it because it fits my hunting Style perfectly ....being able to be mobile the saddle hunting style allows you so many different setup options that you can't do with conventional deer stands.....thanks again for the welcome have a great day hunt safe and hunt smart.....