• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Need advice on set up

Mint

Hey guys,
Been reading a lot of threads and learning a lot but would like to get some advice on set ups. Picture the face of a clock and my tree is where the hands attach to the clock where should I be positioned if the deers most likely approach is from the 12 position? Should I be set up behind the tree on the 6 o'clock side or 3 o'clock / 9 o'clock side depending on which side of the tree the trail goes around?

Also, I have the Kestrel and bought Ernies's kit and platform and have the bolts and strap on steps so I'm all set for platforms. I feel a tightness in the hips, not bad at all and assume this is natural when I'm sitting. When I'm leaning that is gone, I assume that is why a lot of guys go for the leaner approach. I've only got two huge trees in my yard so I have to go to my archery club and try out the kestrel for short sessions.

Thanks in advance guys, I hunt on Long Island and I think this will be the solution for me. I've had my strap cut on my stands several times and others stolen just because guys don't want you hunting public land with them.

Greetings Mint.
I cannot help you as I am new to saddles as well. But, you have a great start and some wonderful equipment.
Someone will be along shortly to help with your questions.
Happy hunting! God Bless.

This is why I use a platform. Unless you are hunting a well used trail/funnel, it is hard to predict exactly how a mature buck will travel every single time. This is exactly why I use a small platform as it really offers me a lot of adjustments/small movements as opposed to walking around the tree. Ideally, I would prefer a shot coming from 1200 walking past tree on left side and I would take the shot at the 7:00 position as he would be quartering away.

I prefer to set up where I will have the best shot for the longest amount of time. As you get closer to the season practice fully setting up With all of your gear. That will help you figure out where you want your pack and bow hanger. Then practice shooting and you may have to adjust pack placement to give you the most angles to shoot from. My area is much like Dave’s apparently because I rarely have a deer standing at my 9:00. They seem to come in at 12:00 or 5:00 and linger forever regardless of what the sign tells me. The wind and cover dictate my position in the tree more than anything.

If I expected the deer to come from 12 on the tree and didn't know which side of the tree they would pass on I would try to set up on the 3:00 side of the tree. That way if they go on the 9:00 side I can easily move to shoot over there, if they come on my side of the tree I just need to turn to shoot directly behind me.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your comments. DaveT1963, I haven't tried my platform yet but I now see what you mean. didn't even think of pivoting on the platform. redsquirrel, thanks, I have a spot where they come from the 12 always but can pass on either side of the tree. I think I'll take your advice and just make sure I have some cover on my left side so I won't get skylighted. Since I won't be pivoting left around the tree that should work.

Welcome from Michigan. There's a wealth of knowledge on this website, with members willing to help others interested in saddle hunting.

Welcome to the site, lots of great guys here! Sounds like you’re off to a great start, plenty of time to get comfortable with your new setup.

I like the 5 to 530 position. This way if the deer goes as you think and passes at 9, you can make a shot anywhere from 10 to 5 without much movement. If he passes on the opposite side of tree, you can take him at 2 to 3 by shooting around tether or you could wait and take him from 4 to 530 by letting him pass and have him quartering away by shooting straight behind you.

I typically try to set up at the 6 o-clock position with the trail passing by on my left.
My favorite shots are anywhere from 7 to 11.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m like ikeman I like to set up at 6. If he comes on the 11 side just wait for the shot to present itself. If he comes on the 1 side since I’m right handed I loosen my Kong Duck a little put my bow in left hand reach around tree put bow in right hand slowly twist body and feet while sliding left arm under tether. Then transfer bow back to left hand and your tether is running up your chest and over your left shoulder. You can now lean on your tether for 1 to 6 shot. Picked this up from one of DaveT's videos a couple years ago and it works great. It makes shooting your off side easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Back