• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Need help for this afternoon's hunt!

g2outdoors

Vendor Rep
SEP 20, 2017 - I saw a really good shooter buck on Saturday evening (4 days ago). I don't think he winded me, but there's a good chance I spooked him when I got down since I wasn't able to wait very long after dark (kids at home with no sitter).

Should I go back and setup on the buck again hoping he'd do the same thing and I didn't booger him up, or go to a new area I've never been before and hope to find a new shooter?

On public land I rarely if ever saw the same buck twice when I hunted the same spot/area more than once. So i vote for hitting a new area.

I'd hit it again. In 2013 I watched a buck get out of his bed and work his way to me but when he got in range it was after dark. I blew him out bad getting down that evening. A few days later I went right back but got closer that hunt and he was bedded in the same spot. I killed him that time :D

Yeah, I agree with @redsquirrel . If you do hunt the same spot, change your tree and give it some more time.I would think he would stick around that area until the rut starts.

Try to figure why....why was he there? Then determine if those same scenerios are again present. If everything is the same them go back in. If not then go in anyway and put an arrow threw him !!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Try to figure why....why was he there? Then determine if those same scenerios are again present. If everything is the same them go back in. If not then go in anyway and put an arrow threw him !!
It's tough to say why he was there.
Good cover? Yes. But there's lots of thick heavy cover in this area.
Food? Yup. Lots of acorns and browse. But walk .5 mile and he'd encounter the same topography.
Water? There's water everywhere. You can't walk 100 yards without finding water.
My best guess is it's an overlooked area close to the road. I didn't notice anything about the area that made it stand apart from anything else. The topography is all the same. Thick, flat, brushy, pine forests with areas of swampy hardwoods...miles and miles of it.

HOWEVER, I did find an elusive white oak on my walk in. It's only the second one I've found. This particular tree didn't have acorns this year, but it could have a brother or sister close by dropping acorns. I didn't walk around and scout the area. If there is in fact a whiteoak dropping in the vicinity, or some persimmons, that could be the answer.

Also, the 3 hours I was in the woods for the hunt is the only 3 hours I've ever spent in this area. I spent zero time scouting it and walked out after dark. I'm pretty clueless about the area.

You know, if you don't go back there and see what happens, you'll probably always have the what if in your head.

Very very very very very good point.

Your an officer, get the RTO to call in an air asset and pick up his heat signature. That legal?

I'm sure I could write it off as an event with good training value. hmmm...

I say go for it. Your only about three weeks away from pre rut action anyway. It's not often you see them in the same spot twice on public but it's at least as good as a spot you haven't ever seen a mature deer.
Just don't get hung up on that spot for too long.

All my scouted and prepped spots are under water. lol. I'm not opposed to going in blind to a new spot either. That's an exciting way to hunt.

You should probably head out there now, so I can vicariously live thru you until my season starts in Oct.

Back