• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Need some help or thoughts!!

MCDM

Vendor Rep
So for 3 years now i have been chasing this large buck. Years of night time photos very few in the daylight. This is a private land setup. Anyways today was my day and i blew it!! Shot out at 45yds which i thought was a clear shooting lane but somehow i hit a small twig or something. Right over the back. I guess due to property boundries im limited as this is more of transition type property. This is the second time personally seeing this deer. This historically is the week year to year he comes around as well. Do you guys think he will come back or am i just chasing a ghost???

Keep after him! They hear alot of sounds that send them flying throughout the year. He didn't know it was an arrow only you do. For all he knows a limb could have been falling out of a tree and hit the ground.

When I missed the one I chased for two years he never came back. I know where he beds and I've tried hunting as close to his bedroom as I have permission but no luck.

I'm not limiting myself to just him anymore. But I do have one more crack at him up my sleeve but it'll have to wait until gun season. One problem I've had with chasing one deer is it's likely to be a tag soup year. My buck likes the ladies and it's the only time he is visible. No ladies no chance at him without hunting his bedroom.

For your deer who knows really. If he smelled you he might change course and go around that area. If he came in because of a doe he might not come back through there without a doe pulling him. Do you know where he beds? If not try to figure out his possible bedding and get as close as you have permission.

Thanks guys!! I have backed out for a few days and he is priority this weekend. I don’t know if he has come back the landowner has heard many gun shots on the surrounding properties which leaves me restless i guess but most guys in my state are not a patient and will shoot whatever comes in. Fingers are crossed either way!!

Back