• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New guy from Northern Michigan!

Toad

Hello all,

Big bowhunter here from NW Michigan (lower peninsula). I absolutely love hunting public land and finding those hard to reach places few people dare tread to. I did live in central Illinois for 5 years and spent a lot of time hunting public land down there as well. I have been using a lone wolf hang on setup for the last several years but have always been looking for ways to be lighter and stealthier. I have been interested in the saddle option for a few years now and finally, after seeing some DIY options, have taken the plunge into putting one together myself. After snooping around the site for awhile I decided to use a sit-drag in conjunction with a rock harness (the added security of the rock harness gave me more peace of mind as a first timer). I ended up connecting the sit drag to the harness with a few straps I added so it is always in place. I am amazed at how comfortable this style of hunting is and its safe to say I am hooked! I have only hunted out of it once so far and I was able to bag an 3.5 y/o 11 point on public land on that first sit, good luck I guess!

I look forward to learning more about saddle hunting and tweaking my setup. I am currently using my lone wolf climbing sticks to ascend the tree and a couple wild edge steps as my hunting platform. The platform and climbing sticks/steps are something I will want to be experimenting with next, I feel like the lone wolf sticks are still a bit cumbersome to strap to my backpack.

Looking forward to learning more about saddle hunting!

Hello all,

Big bowhunter here from NW Michigan (lower peninsula). I absolutely love hunting public land and finding those hard to reach places few people dare tread to. I did live in central Illinois for 5 years and spent a lot of time hunting public land down there as well. I have been using a lone wolf hang on setup for the last several years but have always been looking for ways to be lighter and stealthier. I have been interested in the saddle option for a few years now and finally, after seeing some DIY options, have taken the plunge into putting one together myself. After snooping around the site for awhile I decided to use a sit-drag in conjunction with a rock harness (the added security of the rock harness gave me more peace of mind as a first timer). I ended up connecting the sit drag to the harness with a few straps I added so it is always in place. I am amazed at how comfortable this style of hunting is and its safe to say I am hooked! I have only hunted out of it once so far and I was able to bag an 3.5 y/o 11 point on public land on that first sit, good luck I guess!

I look forward to learning more about saddle hunting and tweaking my setup. I am currently using my lone wolf climbing sticks to ascend the tree and a couple wild edge steps as my hunting platform. The platform and climbing sticks/steps are something I will want to be experimenting with next, I feel like the lone wolf sticks are still a bit cumbersome to strap to my backpack.

Looking forward to learning more about saddle hunting!
Congrats and welcome ! Just spent the last week in the saddle for the first time in love it will never go back to hunting Stand s

Welcome. How far north are you? I'm near the middle of the mitten, close to Mount Pleasant.
I'm up near TC. Been here for 2 years now, still exploring the vast amounts of public land up here. Grew up in central Michigan.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Welcome to the site. I'm originally from the TC area too. Spent a lot of time hunting public land in Antrim and Kalkaska County

Back