• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New Kestrel, initial impressions

Allegheny Tom

SH Member
My Kestrel came yesterday. I was like a kid waiting for Christmas. So I had it out for a few hours today trying it out at near ground level on different sized trees.
Here's a few thoughts in no particular order or importance...

1st off, the Kestrel is way nicer than my old Trophy Line. I had no fear using the TL but I never got comfortable in it. Too much hip pinch among a few other issues.

The Kestrel is going to be much better to walk in. I have no plans to carry it into the woods. I'll put it on like I'm getting dressed.

After reading some other threads, I was a little worried that I may have ordered the wrong size. I'm 5'7" 180 lbs and the size 1 seems okay for me, but I admit I've only worn it for a few hours. Time will tell if the 1 is the right size.

Definitely glad that I bought a couple Ropeman 1.

The backrest...wonderful idea, terrible material IMO. I see no reason why it should be made of noisy cordura fabric. I think I'll try to design something quieter.
However, I don't think the backrest will need to be stowed away each day. Hope I can explain this... I realized if you swap which prussic on the bridge that you hook the backrest clips to, there will be more travel available to slide the rest adjustment when you're done for the day. For example, if you attach the right clip to the left prussic and the same for the opposite side, you can slide each one to where the bridge attaches to the saddle. Doing so, pulls the back band tight against your lower back while you walk. No need to put it away and it's ready to use much quicker. I just wish it was made from quiet fabric.

No doubt...I gotta get some real knee pads. I have a cheap pair that I used today but they aren't user friendly. I didn't have pads when I had my TL because I thought I could tough it out without them...WRONG. Gotta have good pads. I guess I'll get some Arc'teryx.

Big trees or small trees? I think I liked the small tree better which leads to the next question...
Platform or ring of steps? Platforms are more comfortable, but for run and gun the ring is probably better. I plan to make mostly presets on private land. Maybe a hybrid of a platform with a step on each side may be the way to go. I have a bunch of Ameristeps but the jury is still out on whether I like a ratchet strap or over the center buckle. I have very heavy duty 1" straps that really hold the Ameristeps in place but the heavy strap is a pain to tighten in the OCB that I have. Maybe a different style OCB?? Looks like they aren't all exactly the same.

Another thought...For me, especially on smaller trees, my legs want to slide out and along side the tree and it's a lot less tiring if I don't have to hold my legs together while my knees are against the tree. So I took the long tail-end of my tether and did a loop around my legs just above the knees to see how it felt and tied it with a slip over hand knot. It kept my knees from wanting to slide around the sides of the tree. Legs on each side of the tree, with the tree in my face, is uncomfortable and it also cuts down on my field of view...all I see is the tree in my face. When my knees hold me back away from the trunk a foot or so is more comfortable and I see the woods better. And with the extra leg strap, turning and hanging sideways to the tree keeps the one leg from pointing out which adds to hip pinch. Using an extra leg strap may not be how I want to be 100% of the time, but for a little change of position occasionally, I think it'll be more comfortable and less fatiguing. Using the tail end of the tether was just for a test to see if it improved comfort and I believe it does. I think a wider webbing strap of some sort may be more comfy than rope for holding my legs closer together. And legs closer together definitely makes for more hip comfort.

Tingley boots on ring of steps... Definitely need a stiffer insole than the stock Tingley insoles. I really like Superfeet insoles but I didn't have them in the boots today.

Also thinking about an Amsteel bridge and tether to get rid of the clunky knots. I don't like the tag end sticking out of the knot. It's just something for a bow string to catch or clothing to brush against to make noise.

I guess I should have a couple gear pouches, too.

One thing that I never hear discussed here and that's hunting from a saddle in the rain. Seems to me that rain is not the best conditions for saddle hunting. Doesn't the rain wick down the ropes and onto you? Sounds miserable. I know a lot of guys are going to say "don't bow hunt in the rain" and I used to be hard-core about not hunting in the rain, until I found out about Luminol (aka Bloodglow). The stuff is absolutely amazing. Maybe it should have it's own product review. It's totally changed my policy about blood trailing in the rain.

I've only hunted from a saddle a tiny fraction of time that of most of you guys have so I'm sure that a lot of you have already dealt with some of my thoughts. Please tell me how to improve my ideas or where I'm wrong. I'm all ears.
I did take a couple pics and I'll add them via Tapatalk. Much easier for me to post pics with Tapatalk.

It was kinda hard taking decent pics by myself. But here's a couple things I was referring to...

Swapping the attachment for the back rest. It does tend to make the bridge feel shorter so maybe keeping the rest attached to the same side while hunting may be better but for wrapping up and walking in/out, switching to the opposite prussic allows the rest to be tightened against the lower back...no need to take it off an stow it in a bag.
fbca946d8e1d778e38a532630d61dc86.jpg

Here's my make-shift leg strap. Without it, my legs want to slide out and along the tree. My legs are more stable with less effort and less noise because my knees don't slide. I also don't end up with the tree right in my face. I should have taken a pic of turning sideways to the tree. Maybe tomorrow.
And yeah, I know, those knee pads suck.
76ee3917033b8ba64d19876031c3d590.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Great write up
I like a smaller tree with a step on each side. I can get very comfortable. Love my knee pads also, I use volleyball knee pads.
I don’t like hunting in the rain but I do have a tree umbrella I use but water does ride the ropes straight to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, New guy here. Never actually been up in a Saddle to hunt. I see the amazing potential in it tho and want to get into it. I'm really struggling to figure out what to get. These things are avalialbe one minunit and gone the next. Guidos web, trophy line etc..all gone. So you're left with one company Aero Hunter. Right? And all they have is the Kestrel now right? It looks like they had the evolution, which, for a guy that's never been in a saddle, looks 1000X better then the new Kestrel. For Y'all that have experience with them both, which one is better? Whey the change from what looked so comfortable in the Evo to the ultra-minimalist approach of the Kestrel which looks like It wouldn't be comfy enough to sit on long enough to take a poop. Any help would be great. .

Hi, New guy here. Never actually been up in a Saddle to hunt. I see the amazing potential in it tho and want to get into it. I'm really struggling to figure out what to get. These things are avalialbe one minunit and gone the next. Guidos web, trophy line etc..all gone. So you're left with one company Aero Hunter. Right? And all they have is the Kestrel now right? It looks like they had the evolution, which, for a guy that's never been in a saddle, looks 1000X better then the new Kestrel. For Y'all that have experience with them both, which one is better? Whey the change from what looked so comfortable in the Evo to the ultra-minimalist approach of the Kestrel which looks like It wouldn't be comfy enough to sit on long enough to take a poop. Any help would be great. .

First off, welcome to the site! As a guy who has tried most saddles including the Evolution, the Kestrel is the winner for me. I could never get comfy in the Evo, I tried and just couldn't get it dialed in. The Kestrel IMO is much easier to use and a lot less bulk to deal with. If you are just starting and seriously want to give it an honest try I would get the Kestrel. Comfort is no issue for me with that saddle.

First off, welcome to the site! As a guy who has tried most saddles including the Evolution, the Kestrel is the winner for me. I could never get comfy in the Evo, I tried and just couldn't get it dialed in. The Kestrel IMO is much easier to use and a lot less bulk to deal with. If you are just starting and seriously want to give it an honest try I would get the Kestrel. Comfort is no issue for me with that saddle.

Thanks so much. It just looks like the evolution you are able to customize each individual strap to fit your comfort. Where as with the kestrel (at least without having ever put my hands on one) it seems like you’re pretty much given what it comes set at and there is not much customizing the comfort level. Am I wrong on that? And in your opinion what makes the kestrel so much more comfortable? Do you use the back brace?

Thanks so much. It just looks like the evolution you are able to customize each individual strap to fit your comfort. Where as with the kestrel (at least without having ever put my hands on one) it seems like you’re pretty much given what it comes set at and there is not much customizing the comfort level. Am I wrong on that? And in your opinion what makes the kestrel so much more comfortable? Do you use the back brace?

There really isn't as much adjustability on the Evo as it would seem, IMO anyways. @Boudreaux (if i remember right) did most of the design on the Kestrel and it's made in a way that it really doesn't need adjusted. You can change the way most saddles feel by bridge length and tether height on the tree. Those are the two main factors of saddle comfort I think.

I do use a back band on long hunts and it helps. For short hunts I don't use one.

The kestrel is a minimalist saddle but commercially produced. I hunted from a size 1 last year and recently got a size 2 due to comfort issues which have now been resolved. There is a small strap which can be used for adjustment on the side of the kestrel. In my opinion not much adjustment is needed and really you can figure that out by playing around with bridge length and tether heights.

The kestrel is a minimalist saddle but commercially produced. I hunted from a size 1 last year and recently got a size 2 due to comfort issues which have now been resolved. There is a small strap which can be used for adjustment on the side of the kestrel. In my opinion not much adjustment is needed and really you can figure that out by playing around with bridge length and tether heights.

Thank You! That seems to be the trend. That the kestrel is just comfortable the way it is! I am 6’1” 210# what size do you think would fit best for me?

Thank You! That seems to be the trend. That the kestrel is just comfortable the way it is! I am 6’1” 210# what size do you think would fit best for me?

Personally a size 2 as im 5’9-10” at 215lbs. Since im shorter than you i might be slightly wider lol. I know early season a size 1 was good but as layers came out it became an issue. The size 2 has so far been good on all fronts from my testing!!

When I hunt in the rain I wrap a piece of 550 cord around my tether between the tree and my Blake’s hitch and leave about a 4 inch tag end any water running down your rope will hit the 550 and drip down

Got the idea from a kayak paddle with the rubber water guards

Kestrel Ordered!!! Alrighty Y'all, I just placed my order for the Kestrel this morning, mostly due to the recommendations of this Forum! I've never been in a saddle but the Kestrel seems to be what everyone is raving about. Hopefully it comes sooner than their 6 weeks quoted on their website! Thanks for all your help. Now to figure out how to climb the tree and a platform and I guess knee pads. Any recommendations on Knee pads?

There was a good thread goin a couple of days ago “knee pads”. I have a cheap military pair but might upgrade. Whatever you go with make sure they are not hard plastic. I like soft rubber for being quiet and gripping the tree, and I don’t like anything with velcro. I don’t wear them every sit and sometimes they are left at the truck. If it a longer sit than a few hours I am defiantly taking them.

Enjoy the kestrel and yes, it will probably be all of six weeks but worth the wait.

Kestrel Ordered!!! Alrighty Y'all, I just placed my order for the Kestrel this morning, mostly due to the recommendations of this Forum! I've never been in a saddle but the Kestrel seems to be what everyone is raving about. Hopefully it comes sooner than their 6 weeks quoted on their website! Thanks for all your help. Now to figure out how to climb the tree and a platform and I guess knee pads. Any recommendations on Knee pads?
I'm new to gearing up my Kestrel system so I can't really recommend knee pads, but what I will say is that there are a bunch of well practiced, rabid saddle guys that anchor this forum. I'm gonna form a lot of my decisions based on their trail and error. These guys have tried and tested most everything.
The Arcteryx pads seem to be a favorite...if you are willing to spend the money. They ain't cheap. IMO...function, comfort and budget...in that order.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

FYI, Guido's Web is still available.... http://www.guidosoutdoors.com/

Got the new Kestrel yesterday! It was my first time in a saddle ever, to say there is a learning curve is an understatement! Especially since there is no one to really stand there with you and show you the ropes (pun intended. ha. ) I read the directions, watched all the youtube videos and got to the tree and was completely lost. Lets just say my kids (7 &5) got a kick outta dad slipping and sliding and cursing under my breath at the tree. And the back strap buckle broke and the carabiner that hooks from the back brace to the bridge came broken right out of the box. I did call the office and they are sending me a whole new back piece so they had good customer service, but not a great first day in the saddle. Guess I'll try again. Might be setting up the good old traditional stand if I can't get it figured out soon, and then to think I gotta learn to shoot outta this thing. #newbie

Got the new Kestrel yesterday! It was my first time in a saddle ever, to say there is a learning curve is an understatement! Especially since there is no one to really stand there with you and show you the ropes (pun intended. ha. ) I read the directions, watched all the youtube videos and got to the tree and was completely lost. Lets just say my kids (7 &5) got a kick outta dad slipping and sliding and cursing under my breath at the tree. And the back strap buckle broke and the carabiner that hooks from the back brace to the bridge came broken right out of the box. I did call the office and they are sending me a whole new back piece so they had good customer service, but not a great first day in the saddle. Guess I'll try again. Might be setting up the good old traditional stand if I can't get it figured out soon, and then to think I gotta learn to shoot outta this thing. #newbie

Don't get discouraged. There is a story on here about my first evening with my Kestrel that involves bees, chainsaws, and clothes scattered across the yard. It only gets better from here.

Agreed, stick with it and give it a fair shake. As for the back band I swapped the carabiners that came with it anyway. Yeah I think a saddle coach would’ve sped up the learning curve. Keep playing around with it & you can get comfortable. The back band is just some added support/comfort for longer sits. Try to get dialed in without it initially, then you won’t put it under so much load. Take pics of hanging & getting adjusted, post em & ask questions it will help get you some great feedback.

Dude! That's OK! I mean the broken stuff sucks for sure... But don't worry about being "lost in the sauce".

You're doing all the right things. You're practicing waaaaay before the season. You're learning the setup. You're asking for help. You're watching YouTube.

Give it 3 more practice sessions. If you don't feel waaaaay more comfortable after that, my mind will be blown. Saddles take some effort. But always remember why you decided to take the plunge. You can hunt any tree. You saved a ton of weight and bulk. You can hide from the deer.

You made a good choice. Just stick with it!

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Back