• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New Mathews Triax - Love it!

DaveT1963

Vendor Rep
OK as some of you know I bought a new Triax. I went with 60#s @ 28 inches. After the initial testing before I bought mine, I never shot it until I came home. I had the pro shop set it up and I just paid for it brought it home.

results. I cannot believe how well I shoot this bow. I am already shooting 3 inch groups at 30 yards (probably below average for most) but for a guy that has only shot trad I am really impressed with this bow. I do struggle with the physical weight and will have to build my bow arm/shoulder muscles up so I can hold it longer and more steady.

Now here is the thing that blows me away - this thing is almost as quiet as many of the longbows I have shot. Unbelievable.

I am fully planning on hunting this year with it - as well as my trad bow on some set ups - but just wanted to let folks know how awesome this bow is performing in a novice's hands......

what I like about this bow: ultra accurate, ease of drawing, absolutely dead in the hand, ultra quiet, no vibration, it is super short/easy to maneuver.

Cons: physical weight with all the bells/whistles added - to be expected when I came from longbows primarily.

The reason why I bought this was I was starting to have some shoulder and elbow issues and wanted to remain in the game as long as I can. most of my injuries were due to old weight lifting injuries. But I am slowly falling in love with how easy this thing is to make and execute an accurate shot. I have not ventured out in the woods yet but I fully plan on practicing out to 100 years. I will NEVER shoot at an animal past 35-40 yards as I don't think it is ethical with a living animal that moves. Just my opinion there folks. But I do believe practicing at long ranges helps with form and consistency at shorter ranges. I know it does with trad bows.

Anyway - two thumbs up for this excellent bow.

Now you compound shooters help me pick out the right broadhead. I am shooting max red 250s and 125 grain field points. I will NOT use an expandable head so fixed blade is where I am looking. Been looking at Exodus and slick tricks - but could use some advice from more experienced compound hunters.

That's awesome Dave! Glad you are liking the new rig! As for broadheads, the two you mentioned are top notch. I have used Tricks for YEARS and absolutely love them. I think the last time I checked I had killed 35 whitetails and a bear with them. The last couple years I have used the magnums with great results. The Exodus are every bit as good, I just prefer a four blade myself. Tough as nails!

I shoot a Mathews Heli M 60 lbs. I practice out to only 60 yds with it. I have found Muzzy broad heads to be exceptional. I shot Rage expandable for 1 season. They kept opening in my quiver. I am shooting 100 grain. I have 5 pins 20-60 yds.

I feel very confident shooting up to 40 yds with a bow and have taken deer several times up to that distance. I would not shoot past that. Probably like most of us, most deer taken are between 10-20 yds.

Slick trick mags for me although the viper trick grizz trick combos look nasty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out Tooth of the Arrow: https://toothofthearrow.com/

I would look at the regular 1" cut and not the XL' as I have heard the XL's have erratic flight. They are a 4-blade fixed head milled from a single piece of steel. Honestly the sharpest broadheads I have ever seen out of the box. Made in USA in Minnesota if you care about that. My BIL killed a doe with them this year and it was one of the best blood trails i've ever seen.

PS the sharpener is pretty cool too, and makes sharpening them a breeze.

Four blade also penetrate bone better than three blade only have to break two ways instead of three

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's awesome Dave! Glad you are liking the new rig! As for broadheads, the two you mentioned are top notch. I have used Tricks for YEARS and absolutely love them. I think the last time I checked I had killed 35 whitetails and a bear with them. The last couple years I have used the magnums with great results. The Exodus are every bit as good, I just prefer a four blade myself. Tough as nails!

I just ordered 3 magnum 100grain to try out. Also ordered 100grain field points and 100grain judo points

Congratulations on your new purchase and nice review!! I will also agree slick trick magnums are by far the most reliable broadhead i have used. I have tried many but have had the best results with those!!

Congrats that’s a nice bow.

I’d look at slick trick standard, shuttle t, g5 stryker. All very sharp and rugged out of the package.

Montecs fly great but are not sharp and very difficult to get shaving sharp (bevel angle is 30deg)

Muzzy 3 blade (original) is good as well and very affordable. Some people have issues getting them to group with fp.

Good to hear how much you like it! Mine shipped on Monday hopefully I will be shooting it by the weekend. I shot 3 blade muzzy’s this year. While they’re not the latest thing, they have had a lot of satisfied customers. They’re cheap and everywhere that sells broad heads around here carries them. I am a bow tuning novice, but it only took me a free minutes to get them hitting with my field points.

You will get faster with 100 grains. Pins will need to be adjusted. I never had a Robin Hood, I shot two in the same day after I tuned my Heli M. after initial string stretch. Shooting 100 grain.

I now shoot 1 target on the block and move to another. Robin Hoods are cool, but too expensive.

The Mathews are 80% let off. It is nice to take it easy on the shoulders. Your arm and shoulder will build up strength to the extra weight of the bow.

Last edited:
Congrats Dave. Another vote for slick trick mags

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Congrats on the bow! I have shot it at the shop and yes that bow is very quiet! Definitely try the slick tricks, I shoot the vipers in 125 grain. Great head, very accurate and strong head. I don't plan on changing them anytime soon.

Back