• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New Old Guy Here

How cool, a legend! Still gotta try out your design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just read the whole thread from 2009. Great design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Mike Curtis, I am building something based of your original design but with a few personal modifications and I have a couple questions for you. Do you ever have your seat want to flip around on you while you are carrying it or setting up? I'm guessing you don't due to how you use yours but I thought I'd ask. I am using 1" tubular climbing webbing instead of the boat winch strap you are using. When I run the webbing from the top down through the slot and then back up and around it gives me 2 problems. Sometimes when I go to sit in the seat the strap will work its way around the front so I have to slide it back to the side. The second is when I'm storing it it often will flip over so that the webbing that runs over the top will actually go on the bottom. I have attached the seat to my lineman's belt so I can wear it in like I do any other saddle.

Once I get it set up and am hanging, it works great. But for carrying it and storing it I'm working on an idea for retaining the webbing along the side so this doesn't happen but I'm drawing a blank on the best way to do this. The only thought that I have is to put extra slots on each side, but I don't really want to do this because I want to retain the full width of the seat for sitting.

If this description of my problem wasn't good enough I can post a couple picks. Anyone else, feel free to chime in.

I'm in OK hunting now. 16 dg and 10 mph wind so it's a good day to be tied in. I have had that issue a time or to. In fact onemorning I realized my seat was upside down. The cure is easy but explaining may be difficult. Picture yourself sitting in your seat. Now take the loop that connects to-your teather and roll it forward a couple of times. This will take up any slack and twist the webbing together keeping them from slipping over the front of your seat. I ordered some tubular webbing last week. Goo luck
Onehair

I'm in OK hunting now. 16 dg and 10 mph wind so it's a good day to be tied in. I have had that issue a time or to. In fact onemorning I realized my seat was upside down. The cure is easy but explaining may be difficult. Picture yourself sitting in your seat. Now take the loop that connects to-your teather and roll it forward a couple of times. This will take up any slack and twist the webbing together keeping them from slipping over the front of your seat. I ordered some tubular webbing last week. Goo luck
Onehair
Thanks Mike. I understand what you are saying. I'm not sure that will work great with my design. I have the tubular webbing coming up and attaching to some metal hardware which attaches to the bridge. Anyway, I'll keep thinking on it. Pictures of my prototype are coming in the next post for anyone who has any ideas. I'm just looking for a good way to tend the webbing to the side of the seat.

Correct orientation
cf4d2f87b2ef26c87e2e4be999c1eb3e.jpg

Flipped over
cec0e43cd6ff4162a8e78a1f04de10fd.jpg

What happens sometimes while setting up
0891dd0328535be0607fc47d3547d432.jpg

Correct orientation
cf4d2f87b2ef26c87e2e4be999c1eb3e.jpg

Flipped over
cec0e43cd6ff4162a8e78a1f04de10fd.jpg

What happens sometimes while setting up
0891dd0328535be0607fc47d3547d432.jpg
Red. Just get some upholstery tacks and if you distribute them across the plywood it'll hold everything in place just fine. Might staggar the placement. When i had a tree seat with accesory cord I just used staples like you would for electrical wiring to keep eveything in place. But I imagine with webbing the upholstery tacks should work without damaging the webbing.

Red. Just get some upholstery tacks and if you distribute them across the plywood it'll hold everything in place just fine. Might staggar the placement. When i had a tree seat with accesory cord I just used staples like you would for electrical wiring to keep eveything in place. But I imagine with webbing the upholstery tacks should work without damaging the webbing.
That is a great idea. It will work if I stick with the plywood. The plywood is only my prototype. What I envision is much thinner than the plywood. I'm saddlehunter'ing the heck out of this thing... :D

Edit: Thinking on it a bit more, I still might be able to make that work. I'll have to fool with it.

Last edited:
Back