• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New Saddle Hunter

Matt G.

The majority of my time in the woods has always been spent in my climber and ladder stands. I've never been thrilled with these solutions for various reasons, all of which a saddle would seem to remedy.

I'm planning on putting an order in for a Kestral, and spending the winter prepping trees for next season. I hunt my own land, so my plan is to use screw in steps to ascend the trees, while using a couple of steps to use for my platform.

There's so much information that's incredibly detailed on here, that I'm finding myself overwhelmed. I want to make sure that I get this right the first time, I don't see much of a choice if I want to live to tell about It!

So I was wondering if there is a resource, or someone that would be willing to detail exactly what I need to do to remain safe using my chosen method of ascension.

I apologize for the lack of knowledge on this, but as I mentioned, a rookie slip up isn't an option.

Thanks in advance for your help.

The majority of my time in the woods has always been spent in my climber and ladder stands. I've never been thrilled with these solutions for various reasons, all of which a saddle would seem to remedy.

I'm planning on putting an order in for a Kestral, and spending the winter prepping trees for next season. I hunt my own land, so my plan is to use screw in steps to ascend the trees, while using a couple of steps to use for my platform.

There's so much information that's incredibly detailed on here, that I'm finding myself overwhelmed. I want to make sure that I get this right the first time, I don't see much of a choice if I want to live to tell about It!

So I was wondering if there is a resource, or someone that would be willing to detail exactly what I need to do to remain safe using my chosen method of ascension.

I apologize for the lack of knowledge on this, but as I mentioned, a rookie slip up isn't an option.

Sounds like you just need a dependable lineman's rope/belt and be careful.

Have you checked the saddle hunter map on the home page of this site? Maybe there's one of us nearby who could help in person...

There are a lot of resources on here including some great videos. I would suggest watching Boudreaux's videos on you tube - particularly the one about the Kestrel use in the tree. Check out his other stuff too...

Bottom line though, I think, is to practice, practice, practice at ground level until you feel more comfortable and confident. Don't move up until you're ready. Like you said - you have all winter.

Good luck. You can do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you checked the saddle hunter map on the home page of this site? Maybe there's one of us nearby who could help in person...

There are a lot of resources on here including some great videos. I would suggest watching Boudreaux's videos on you tube - particularly the one about the Kestrel use in the tree. Check out his other stuff too...

Bottom line though, I think, is to practice, practice, practice at ground level until you feel more comfortable and confident. Don't move up until you're ready. Like you said - you have all winter.

Good luck. You can do it.

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I have some members pretty close to me......the map is a cool idea. This forum seems to be a lot more cordial than other general hunting forums.

I'm confident that I can figure out the finer details as time goes on, but I want to make sure that I understand the main safety components and how they're designed to work before I get started.

Welcome. Safety with a Tree Saddle is unmatched in the climbing world.

1. No matter your climbing method (sticks, screw-ins, ladders, spurs, etc.) remain attached to the tree with a good Lineman Belt. This is simply a length of climbing rated rope or webbing (most prefer rope) attached at both hips with climbing rated carabiners and a prussic knot or Ropeman 1 (A mechanical prussic).
2. At hunting height, tether yourself to the tree BEFORE you climb on your platform of choice (screw-in steps, strap-on steps, XOP platform, etc.). This way you are always connected to the tree. You have a built in safety harness with your saddle.

Take your time, go slow, and be methodical. Speed will come with time and familiarity with your gear.

Add yourself to the Saddle Hunter Nation map!

Good luck!

First thing you can't go wrong with a saddle and the Kestrel is the best and safest saddle. Go on u-tube and check out all the videos on saddle hunting and setup you can find. This should help and you can always get answers on saddlehunter. There is a world full of knowledge on this site. Don't hesitate to ask anything some

1. No matter your climbing method (sticks, screw-ins, ladders, spurs, etc.) remain attached to the tree with a good Lineman Belt. This is simply a length of climbing rated rope or webbing (most prefer rope) attached at both hips with climbing rated carabiners and a prussic knot or Ropeman 1 (A mechanical prussic).
2. At hunting height, tether yourself to the tree BEFORE you climb on your platform of choice (screw-in steps, strap-on steps, XOP platform, etc.). This way you are always connected to the tree. You have a built in safety harness with your saddle.

Take your time, go slow, and be methodical. Speed will come with time and familiarity with your gear.

Add yourself to the Saddle Hunter Nation map!

Good luck!

Thanks for the detailed Info!

This confirms the info that I've gathered while doing my research. My biggest concern is the various knots that need to be tied. I'm confident that I can become proficient at tying the necessary knots, but there's something that makes me uneasy about the notion of dangling at the mercy of something as primitive as a knot!

Is it advisable (or practical) to remain connected to the tree with your linemans belt as well as your tree strap? Are there any other means of redundancy to prevent a fall in the event that a part of your terminal gear fails? Or.....is this entirely unnecessary?

I don't use any knots in my setup. Well, I guess that's not technically true. I tie overhand knots to create loops in my Lineman belt and tether. Other than that, no knots.

It is not practical, nor necessary, to use a LB and tether at the same time. I'm connected to my LB and Tether while I'm setting up and tearing down. That's it. As soon as I'm ready to hunt, the LB comes off and goes into a pouch on my hip. Plus, the LB would make too much noise and commotion while hunting.

Also, the tethers we are using are for climbing mountains, chopping down the tree you're climbing, and rappelling from helicopters. They are more than safe, even overkill, for Tree Saddle hunting. I've never heard of a single person falling from a tree saddle.

As soon as you try it, you'll realize just how safe you feel. If you take your time, familiarize yourself with your gear, and use common sense, hunting from a tree saddle is the safest thing you can do in the woods.

One question about the lineman's belt. How will that help if you slip off your steps? Seem to me like you end up with a face full of tree and or steps as you fall down the trunk.

1. No matter your climbing method (sticks, screw-ins, ladders, spurs, etc.) remain attached to the tree with a good Lineman Belt.

One question about the lineman's belt. How will that help if you slip off your steps? Seem to me like you end up with a face full of tree and or steps as you fall down the trunk.
It's happened to several guys on this forum. From what I remember it wasn't fun. They sustained injuries. However, they didn't die or have a major injury like a broken neck or back.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Most likely you will eat a face full of tree and hit something. But it also does seem to catch on the tree and keep you from falling to the ground. IMO a lineman's belt is more of a positioning tool. It's intended purpose is really to keep you from falling, rather than catch you from falling.

I have a personal dislike for screw in steps. I would recommend setting up a tree before buying enough to do all your setups.

I have a personal dislike for screw in steps. I would recommend setting up a tree before buying enough to do all your setups.

I agree. Preset some trees until you get a feel for the saddle once you do that you will figure out your style with experimentation.

Back