• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New to filming....

Chris Kazlauskas

Ok guys and gals, need some help. The camera I just got is a Cannon R800 as a gift. This and the GoPro session are my only two and they aren’t going to change anytime soon. Im not looking for camera options or what should be using, but I want to know what other things I need to help with filming from a saddle. Arms, lens, mics , asses, those type things. Very much a beginner. I love the guys vids who are on here(diy, g2, others) and want to document my hunts. Also, I’m an apple user, so, info on editing and YouTube would be great! Thanks very much!

I'm using a very similar setup. I use the Canon Vixia R70 and GoPro Session 5.

First of all, you're going to need a camera arm. There are lots of options for this. My choice (as well as DIY Sportsman, Flinginairos, etc.) is the 4th arrow camera arm. I've used it all season long and I'm very happy with it.

The next step would probably be a microphone. There are lots of good options for this as well. I believe your camera requires a powered microphone. Mine did. I couldn't figure out why my Rode VideoMicro wouldn't work. I ended up buying a cheap $24 powered mic on Amazon. However, I use the on board mic a lot unless it's windy. This is only because it's faster and easier to not mess with the external mic.

Here are some links I use:
Canon VIXIA HD RF800 Camcorder: http://amzn.to/2xZz4bN
GoPro Hero5 Session: http://amzn.to/2ypCLcl
Buy this accessory kit for the GoPro too: http://amzn.to/2yqEU7C
DJI Osmo Mobile Gimbal - Get super good footage with your phone!: http://amzn.to/2yq5jT7

I will agree with the canera arm. You won’t find anything more portable and easy to use/setup. As far as camera stuff i use bh&photo. They are based out of NY and are great. If you call them they could set you up with all the right accessories for that camera.

Thanks for the replies. I enjoyed your video on your sit drag. I’m not wanting to information based like your videos, but would like to make some good hunt vids for distant family to see my hunts. You tube the best format for sharing? Also, what is this fluid base and is it important? Maybe you could do a video on how you set up your equipment in the tree. Also, with all that we already carry, do you do anything extra to carry your camera gear? Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks for the replies. I enjoyed your video on your sit drag. I’m not wanting to information based like your videos, but would like to make some good hunt vids for distant family to see my hunts. You tube the best format for sharing? Also, what is this fluid base and is it important? Maybe you could do a video on how you set up your equipment in the tree. Also, with all that we already carry, do you do anything extra to carry your camera gear? Sorry for all the questions!

I assume you mean fluid head. That is very important. It allows you to pan your camera smoothly without ruining the shot with herky-jerky footage. I bought the 4th arrow fluid head with my camera arm.

I film all my hunts. You can check them out on my YouTube channel.

I don't do anything extra for camera equipment. It goes in my pack and isn't that big of an inconvenience. It adds probably 5 lbs to my pack and 5 minutes of extra setup.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

If you are looking to get a camera for family use with a side benefit of filming, would it make sense to spend the extra coin on a name brand 4K camera instead of the 1080 ones? Technology advances pretty quick, and I try to future proof purchases if I can. I know it jumps prices from the upper 300’s to the upper 800’s, but if there is a big difference in quality I might consider it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having been doing filming professionally the last 6 years, I'm reading in earnest to see what folks here who are using consumer or prosumer gear. And I'll defer to them! Lots of folks here make great quality video with relatively inexpensive gear; and those are the people to listen to. Watch as many videos as you can and then ask them what they use. Having both been filmed and filmed others, then doing self-filmed hunts, I know portability is huge - especially among members of this site.

I'll jump in for post though - - Bc my cheapest camera setup is about 4k which most (including me!) don't want to spend. Editing wise I use premier pro, and you can do monthly subscriptions for it. Wonderful program and does great work as you can be as simple or complex as you wish. Good luck and thanks to everyone else for the info.

@jryser Good point about portability! That's the most important thing for me. I'm not willing to carry a big camera just yet. Right now I'm happy with my entry level camera. It definitely is lacking compared to larger more expensive cameras, but for my purposes, it works.

Just getting started filming hunts myself. I have always carried a camera on hunts for taking pictures of animals I didn't intend to target but just recently thought about trying to film actual hunting shots.

To that end I made an attempt at a DIY camera arm. The arm is 1/2" square aluminum tube reinforced where the bolts go through with 3/8" aluminum square stock. The pivot bolts are 1/4" shoulder bolts with a snug fit to the thru holes in the arms to keep the sagging to a minimum. Less the camera mount which I re-purposed from an old tripod and and the cam clamp which I had left over from a previous project, I think I have less than $30 (including shipping) and 2 hours into this. All that's left is a G2 camo paint job and I think I'll have a workable solution for next season.

20180210_193444.jpg 20180210_193516.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice!!! I had a ball today tearing down some of my sets. I have lock ons, ladders, and now that I'm not held back by sponsors I can Saddle hunt all I want next year!!!
f216b0c552926d532ce3a6eeea78ab70.jpg

Just wanted to clarify a point. Fourth arrow does not make a fluid head. They make a friction head which is way different than a true fluid head.

I tried filming got along pretty good but problem nobody wanted to film they just wanted to be filmed haha sooooo yep 1 man band here then everyone started doing it so I just stopped

I'm using a very similar setup. I use the Canon Vixia R70 and GoPro Session 5.

First of all, you're going to need a camera arm. There are lots of options for this. My choice (as well as DIY Sportsman, Flinginairos, etc.) is the 4th arrow camera arm. I've used it all season long and I'm very happy with it.

The next step would probably be a microphone. There are lots of good options for this as well. I believe your camera requires a powered microphone. Mine did. I couldn't figure out why my Rode VideoMicro wouldn't work. I ended up buying a cheap $24 powered mic on Amazon. However, I use the on board mic a lot unless it's windy. This is only because it's faster and easier to not mess with the external mic.

Here are some links I use:
Canon VIXIA HD RF800 Camcorder: http://amzn.to/2xZz4bN
GoPro Hero5 Session: http://amzn.to/2ypCLcl
Buy this accessory kit for the GoPro too: http://amzn.to/2yqEU7C
DJI Osmo Mobile Gimbal - Get super good footage with your phone!: http://amzn.to/2yq5jT7

Hey Greg,

I have the same camera, but the issue I have with it is I cant find a remote (lanc) to use with it for better zooming and auto off/on button.
Have you found a good solution to this or you sticking with the factory zoom and power on buttons.

We all know how you like to tinker with things, hoping you figured out something I haven't been able to.

Thanks

Hunter

Back