• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New to Saddle Hunting from NY

ForesterDave

New to the saddle hunter forum. I have been kicking around the idea of trying a saddle for a few years now. Ordered a Kestrel which I just received in the mail. Very happy with it thus far. I have been experimenting with it in the basement, and I have some questions about the setup.

I noticed a lot of guys on here use fairly short bridges. I have an adjustable bridge on there now to try and find a suitable length for me. I am 6' 5" and i seem to be favoring a longer bridge.

What are the advantages of the shorter bridges vs longer? Is there a reason to keep it as short as possible without losing comfort?

Also, I see a lot of saddle guys talking about their bridge length. Where is that measurement taken? Eye to Eye?

Welcome to the forum. Yes the measurement is taken from eye to eye for length of bridge including any caribeners, rings etc

Welcome to the site! It’s a plethora of info and ideas. I’m also trying to decide on if I want to keep the standard bridge length on my Kestrel or shorten it. Also might use some webbing instead of rope. Good luck and keep us posted on what you decided to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum! Where in NY? Always nice when some northeasterners join the saddle addiction! I’m in Orange County

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bridge length directly relates to comfort. Too short and youll experience hip squeeze. Too long and it can get in the way of your shot or maneuvering your bow.

There is no right answer, but most guys seem to settle on a bridge in the 24"-30".

But if you like a 60" bridge and it works for your setup, there's no reason not to use it.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Thanks guys! Hey Jefferson! I am in Wayne County, I hunt Allegany, Livingston, Monroe, and Wayne Counties mainly.

Dang that’s great hunting over there! Good luck w the kestrel I’m sure you’ll love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a camp just south of the NY border in PA but planning to hunt Steuben county Public land as well this year. Looking forward to head up there.
Steuben County has a lot of deer! Nice hill country setting there! Good luck to you in your scouting and hunting!

New to the saddle hunter forum. I have been kicking around the idea of trying a saddle for a few years now. Ordered a Kestrel which I just received in the mail. Very happy with it thus far. I have been experimenting with it in the basement, and I have some questions about the setup.

I noticed a lot of guys on here use fairly short bridges. I have an adjustable bridge on there now to try and find a suitable length for me. I am 6' 5" and i seem to be favoring a longer bridge.

What are the advantages of the shorter bridges vs longer? Is there a reason to keep it as short as possible without losing comfort?

Also, I see a lot of saddle guys talking about their bridge length. Where is that measurement taken? Eye to Eye?
Welcome to the site!
My thoughts on bridge length is that you want to go as short as you possibly can without affecting your comfort. A longer bridge will potentially get in the way when you are trying to shoot and will also limit your ability to walk around the tree.

Welcome to the site!
My thoughts on bridge length is that you want to go as short as you possibly can without affecting your comfort. A longer bridge will potentially get in the way when you are trying to shoot and will also limit your ability to walk around the tree.

Thanks Redsquirrel,

I went with a fixed 28" bridge (1/4" Amsteel) for now after playing with it for a while. I was getting some hip squeeze with shorter lengths at first, then i realized I was wearing the saddle up a bit high. I re-positioned the saddle lower on my butt and it seemed to take care of the discomfort. Still need to sit in the saddle for longer periods of time to get used to it. I do see now where the bridge can get in the way if its too long.

Thanks for the input!

28" is a good length. That's what I use. It shouldn't get in the way of your shot, or limit your mobility. You should be good.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

28" is a good length. That's what I use. It shouldn't get in the way of your shot, or limit your mobility. You should be good.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Thanks man! I really like your setup on the Sit Drag in your "Complete Walkthrough" video. I was looking in to some condor mini dump pouches for my lanyard and tether for the Kestrel. Is there anything you like or don't like about your dump pouches? Or any suggestions you may have about them?

They're a little noisy and a little bulky. Those are really nitpicky critiques though. They're hard to beat for sure. They are the best things I've found.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Thanks man! I really like your setup on the Sit Drag in your "Complete Walkthrough" video. I was looking in to some condor mini dump pouches for my lanyard and tether for the Kestrel. Is there anything you like or don't like about your dump pouches? Or any suggestions you may have about them?
They're a little noisy and a little bulky. Those are really nitpicky critiques though. They're hard to beat for sure. They are the best things I've found.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.
Those types of pouches made out of cordura work great but like g2 said they are noisy. They break in over time and get softer and quieter.

I actually just signed up for the site yesterday but have been doing a lot of reading. Ordered a sit drag and just got it the other day and started playing around. Right now i am using a strap from my XOP climbing stick as my bridge and its very easy to adjust and make bigger or smaller if needed. i also put my hunt comfort seat on and it made it a lot more comfortable. Still playing around but this is what it looks like so far.

Saddle_zpsvgbbu61l.jpg

Back