• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New to Saddles

Slideshow

Hey guys. Anyone have any thoughts on saddles that are for big guys? Just looking for some guidance.

Whats your waist and lbs?

trophyline treesaddles run pretty big. I'm 6'2 and have been 230-240 with a 36 waist in past seasons and worn their Medium. I'm 200/34 this year and would still wear a medium though. Its just a hammock for your butt. If both your cheeks fit inside it your probably good.

They make a large and XL.

Edit...."MADE" no longer in business, but the large and XLs are the easiest to find used

Last edited:
Call new tribe and give them your specs and see what they say.

I'm 6'2. 320lbs and my waist is 60 but somehow I wear a pant size 56 and bib size 58. I might just call new tribe and ask them but I was really hoping for some other options to be out there unless someone knows how they fit people my size.

xl treesaddle would probably work, maybe even a large. Since youd have to buy used over the net without trying on though, Id just go XL.
Still only one option though

We are beginning to have a few options available to us. New Tribe being the newest. You can also look into rock climbing harnesses, but they aren't generally as comfortable

Last edited:
I'm 6'0" about 300lbs. I wear a 42 waist pants. Received my New Tribe Kestrel size 2 on Friday and tried it out on Saturday to do some target practice. The Kestrel is awesome. Felt safe and comfortable the whole time. The waist belt has about 10 inches extra when I synch it tight around my waist and the leg straps have plenty of extra. It will take some practice to be quick with it, but I felt good the whole time.

I'm 6'0" about 300lbs. I wear a 42 waist pants. Received my New Tribe Kestrel size 2 on Friday and tried it out on Saturday to do some target practice. The Kestrel is awesome. Felt safe and comfortable the whole time. The waist belt has about 10 inches extra when I synch it tight around my waist and the leg straps have plenty of extra. It will take some practice to be quick with it, but I felt good the whole time.
If you could, let us big guys know how the comfort is for you in the kestrel. I'm about your size and really like the looks of the kestrel but wanna know how the comfort is over a longer period of time. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Spent about 2.5 hours in the tree on Saturday night. Couple things I learned from my first sit in a saddle.

1. I have never felt safe in a treestand, but a saddle feels awesome.
2. The platform is important. I used the top of my climbing stick as the platform and found it very uncomfortable after about an hour. I will be working on my platform before I go out again.
3. Make sure that the tree strap is high enough on the tree. I started out with it to low and ended up leaning to far back which made my legs hurt. Once I had the tree strap up higher, I was standing more upright and was very comfortable.

The Kestrel size 2 fits me very well and I was comfortable for the majority of my sit (once I got the set up correct). I am thinking about going to a adjustable bridge so I can adjust without changing the tree strap. Need to research this a little more though.

If you are my size, I would recommend the Kestrel. Felt comfortable and safe, as well as less noise than a tree stand creaking under my weight.

Had a small doe at five yards within an hour of getting in the tree.

Spent about 2.5 hours in the tree on Saturday night. Couple things I learned from my first sit in a saddle.

1. I have never felt safe in a treestand, but a saddle feels awesome.
2. The platform is important. I used the top of my climbing stick as the platform and found it very uncomfortable after about an hour. I will be working on my platform before I go out again.
3. Make sure that the tree strap is high enough on the tree. I started out with it to low and ended up leaning to far back which made my legs hurt. Once I had the tree strap up higher, I was standing more upright and was very comfortable.

The Kestrel size 2 fits me very well and I was comfortable for the majority of my sit (once I got the set up correct). I am thinking about going to a adjustable bridge so I can adjust without changing the tree strap. Need to research this a little more though.

If you are my size, I would recommend the Kestrel. Felt comfortable and safe, as well as less noise than a tree stand creaking under my weight.

Had a small doe at five yards within an hour of getting in the tree.
This is a great post. Thanks for sharing.

FYI it takes awhile to get your body and feet in "saddle shape". I use the top of my sticks as part of my platform a lot. You'll get used to it. But the standalone platform is great too. Win-win.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Thanks Nateg I needed to hear that. I feel better knowing that I'll be comfortable in a #2 Kestrel.

This is a great post. Thanks for sharing.

FYI it takes awhile to get your body and feet in "saddle shape". I use the top of my sticks as part of my platform a lot. You'll get used to it. But the standalone platform is great too. Win-win.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.
g2,
I used to use "T" screw-in steps around the tree for my platform, however, I hope to get one of the "new" platforms that are on the horizon. Having said that, I shoot left handed, would you recommend standing on my "new" platform and using the top of my lone wolf stick on my left side to help navigate around the tree to assist for a shot? Another thought,... do you think the "new" platform alone will be enough?
Thanks for any advice,
Bill

g2,
I used to use "T" screw-in steps around the tree for my platform, however, I hope to get one of the "new" platforms that are on the horizon. Having said that, I shoot left handed, would you recommend standing on my "new" platform and using the top of my lone wolf stick on my left side to help navigate around the tree to assist for a shot? Another thought,... do you think the "new" platform alone will be enough?
Thanks for any advice,
Bill
Whether or not a seat style platform is enough depends mostly on the diameter of the tree at hunting height.

I would say a 12" diameter tree would be about the maximum you could get away with. After that, you'll more than likely need a step or 2 (your LW stick should work) on your strong side to help you shoot from 11-1 o'clock. 2-10 o'clock are easy shots from a seat style platform.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

I’m 6’6” about 260 ( my waist is a 38-40) I have a sz 2 kestrel & have hunted out of it around a dozen times now. I was surprised at how comfortable it was, it takes just a bit to get your tether height & bridge length all figured out. I don’t have it all figured out. I’m super green, but I have never felt this safe hanging in a tree before. I can’t really see myself ever hiking way back in with a stand on my back.......my 2 cents.

I’m 6’6” about 260 ( my waist is a 38-40) I have a sz 2 kestrel & have hunted out of it around a dozen times now. I was surprised at how comfortable it was, it takes just a bit to get your tether height & bridge length all figured out. I don’t have it all figured out. I’m super green, but I have never felt this safe hanging in a tree before. I can’t really see myself ever hiking way back in with a stand on my back.......my 2 cents.
I’m roughly the same size and weight. Was wondering about the size 2 kestrel versus the size one. I think the size 2 would be better with heavier clothes. Wish I could’ve made it last weekend to Ga.I just need to try one on I guess before I order.

I'm 6'2. 320lbs and my waist is 60 but somehow I wear a pant size 56 and bib size 58. I might just call new tribe and ask them but I was really hoping for some other options to be out there unless someone knows how they fit people my size.

Slideshow, I have an XL Trophyline Saddle that literally has never been up a tree.

PM me if your interested.

For those who still hunt out of a trophy line tree saddle please let me know of pros and cons of them, best model, best modifications of any. I'm thinking about purchasing one I found for sale. Is a kestrel that much better? If I ordered a kestrel now what are the chances I'll receive one by September? I know, I know, too many questions but I'm new to saddle hunting and I'm learning.

For those who still hunt out of a trophy line tree saddle please let me know of pros and cons of them, best model, best modifications of any. I'm thinking about purchasing one I found for sale. Is a kestrel that much better? If I ordered a kestrel now what are the chances I'll receive one by September? I know, I know, too many questions but I'm new to saddle hunting and I'm learning.
@Boudreaux could help you more with information about the Kestrel shipping timeframe. I have all of the TL saddles and prefer the comfort of the heavy duty leather model.The leather realtree roadtrips model and neoprene models are comfortable as well. The ambush is the least to me. Modifications possibilities are personal and numerous with any model that you choose. I've been using mine for a long time and honestly can't find cons. The pros are the same as with any saddle style option. They are regurgitated throughout this forum millions of times. I'd be glad to discuss my personal mods on the phone if you're interested. Pm me!

@BigAl Kestrel lead times when I checked last week were about 3 weeks! They are almost caught up!

Thanks,
Boswell

Back