• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New Video on getting organized

I just Uploaded a new video showing how I use a log book to prepare for the next season, track all my tree stands, and prepare for each hunt.

Great detail and order. Do deer eat poison ivy? I saw that in the video.

Last edited:
Yes they love it

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Poison ivy loves me and I have tried to eradicate it from my woods at home. Did not know it had any value for anything Did not know deer ate poison ivy. A new food plot idea. It will keep trespassers away and attach deer. GOOD Video . I need to organize my data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Wow Dave, that is super detailed. I love it! I really liked your point about learning the different browse. I've really started paying attention to that the last couple years and I think it's something most guys overlook.

AWESOME video Dave. I’m going to have to get more organized like that.

I love the idea to give each stand a T# designation, and how you label the areas as well.

I noticed the mention of the wicked wick in your notes. What cordage are you using for that, or do you use a licking branch?

Poison ivy loves me and I have tried to eradicate it from my woods at home. Did not know it had any value for anything Did not know deer ate poison ivy. A new food plot idea. It will keep trespassers away and attach deer. GOOD Video . I need to organize my data.

Primates, and more specifically humans, are the only mammals allergic to urushiol (active ingredient in poison ivy). To everything else, it is just another leaf.

Turkeys love the fresh green shoots in the spring too.

Great video! I'm going to steal some of your ideas for sure, I also completely agree on browse close to bedding from what I understand deer have different preferences of browse depending on what part of the country your in, did you determine what browse the deer in your area hit most based off of observation and scouting or is the a resource out there to least give a ball park of plants to look for, where I hunt in eastern KY the amount of food sources in the woods can be extensive especially in summer and early fall I want to be able to pin point the preferred ones along with pockets of white oaks that are near spots where bucks bed.

AWESOME video Dave. I’m going to have to get more organized like that.

I love the idea to give each stand a T# designation, and how you label the areas as well.

I noticed the mention of the wicked wick in your notes. What cordage are you using for that, or do you use a licking branch?

I use natural limbs

Primates, and more specifically humans, are the only mammals allergic to urushiol (active ingredient in poison ivy). To everything else, it is just another leaf.

Turkeys love the fresh green shoots in the spring too.

Learn something everyday. Thanks

Thanks for sharing so much information Dave.

Local browse will be a focus in my scouting this spring. I saw a post of yours on the beast where you essentially challenged the average hunter to name the top 10 browse in their area. I got to 3 and starting laughing because I realized I always over look it.

Awesome stuff as always!

Great video! I'm going to steal some of your ideas for sure, I also completely agree on browse close to bedding from what I understand deer have different preferences of browse depending on what part of the country your in, did you determine what browse the deer in your area hit most based off of observation and scouting or is the a resource out there to least give a ball park of plants to look for, where I hunt in eastern KY the amount of food sources in the woods can be extensive especially in summer and early fall I want to be able to pin point the preferred ones along with pockets of white oaks that are near spots where bucks bed.

I talk to a lot of biologist. Anther good source is college students working on thesis papers. But a lot is watching them and seeing where the leaves are removed from plants up to about 4-5 foot high

Thanks for sharing so much information Dave.

Local browse will be a focus in my scouting this spring. I saw a post of yours on the beast where you essentially challenged the average hunter to name the top 10 browse in their area. I got to 3 and starting laughing because I realized I always over look it.

Awesome stuff as always!
What three in Ontario did you think of.

Corn, Soyabeans, Wheat, poison ivy, maple leaves, red willow or dogwood, ragweed, small trees, grasses, apples branches, golden rod, cedar needles in the winter, clover, alfalfa, Most of what I think of is not browse in the woods. . I guess we will have to research Ontario, Michigan, New York browse. Maybe guys in the Northern States can help us out. I wonder do they eat raspberries if they eat blackberries.
This has got me thinking. I went to the woods today and noticed that most of the brush had been browsed by deer, But the only thing I could identify was dogwood.

Last edited:
http://www.northamericanwhitetail.com/land-management/whitetail-101-what-do-deer-eat/
Interesting article.
I guess they love mushrooms too. Grapes, apples, any small tree in the winter. And of course poison ivy. Deer love carbohydrates. And their rumen is very small compared to a cow so they have to eat frequently. I have a degree in ag business and animal science. Not sure why I never wondered about deer nutrition. I sure took a pile of nutrition in university.
Dave you got me thinking again.

Last edited:
What three in Ontario did you think of.

Corn, Soyabeans, Wheat, poison ivy, maple leaves, red willow or dogwood, ragweed, small trees, grasses, apples branches, golden rod, cedar needles in the winter, clover, alfalfa, Most of what I think of is not browse in the woods. . I guess we will have to research Ontario, Michigan, New York browse. Maybe guys in the Northern States can help us out. I wonder do they eat raspberries if they eat blackberries.
This has got me thinking. I went to the woods today and noticed that most of the brush had been browsed by deer, But the only thing I could identify was dogwood.

Sorry I missed this post earlier. I actually got a few more than 3 but was disappointed in myself and had to laugh. I got acorns, apples, corn, soybean and cedar. Still pretty pathetic, because in the area I do 80% of my hunting it’s just acorns that I can actually key in on.

Thanks for that link brother!

Great video @DaveT1963

I've been working on improving my record keeping for hunting. Your approach is inspiring. I'm still kind of laughing at myself on the forage thing. I feel like an idiot for limiting my forage scouting to acorns! This makes a great deal of sense.

Back