• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Newbie from SD

BH Bowhunter

Been bowhunting for many yrs and have never tried a tree saddle. Would like to learn how. I think I came to the right site! After doing some research on here I'm thinking I should start with a sit and drag. Anyone selling a modified sit and drag?

Welcome to the site! Lot of great guys around here that will get ya started. Watch out for that @g2outdoors fella tho. He's a little strange and may try to sell you a whole case if Sitdrags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha!

First of all, welcome to the site. Second, I want to make sure you understand the SitDrag is designed to be used on the ground. Those of us that are using it to hunt from an elevated position are going against the manufacturers specifications.

That said, I've got dozens of hours in mine this season and it feels rock solid and safe. Personally, I'd be hesitant to purchase a modified SitDrag. Not because anyone on here would deliberately deliver a crappy product, but it's inherently risky to purchase someone else's DIY job.

That said, there are a few guys that have sold/given/assisted with SitDrag builds. I have no doubt their creations are completely solid. I have even built 2 for my family members. The purpose of my soap box is simply to make sure you understand what you'd be getting into. Whatever butters your bread.

I love the SitDrag. You should definitely get one!

Welcome to the site!

The official line around here like @g2outdoors said is that the sit and drag is intended to be used on the ground. If you decide to use it in the tree we recommend using a rock climbing harness as a backup.

The tree saddle, new tribe evolution and guido's web were all designed as your only means of life support, so they are a little more bulky but of much higher quality. They pop up on the classifieds often so that is another option.

Good luck in your search, there are some great guys on here who will help you along the way.

I hope to see more on this topic as well. SitDrag seems to be the way to go for those who have a lot of experience hunting from a saddle or sling or whatever the proper terminology is.

I definitely plan on using a harness with the sitdrag. I just don't want to spend a lot of money on something I may not like. I also want something lite weight and portable. Thanks for the replies!

Reactions: PJC
I'm with you. Hopefully we can get the education we need on this site.

I definitely plan on using a harness with the sitdrag. I just don't want to spend a lot of money on something I may not like. I also want something lite weight and portable. Thanks for the replies!
I'm with you. Hopefully we can get the education we need on this site.

I understand the money thing. IMO a sit and drag is no comparison to one of the more expensive saddles. Others will disagree, but I just don't want to see someone give up on saddle hunting based only on using a sit and drag.

I see your point. A friend of mine is going to buy the Aero hunter saddle. I will have to try it out!

Just get a leather Trophyline!! You don't need anything else.

I will have to check out a trophyline. Thanks

They don't make them anymore. Have to find a used one that will fit. I don't know how many sizes they had.

ya I checked into the aero hunter, it definitely would be the way to go! Just don't know if I want to spend 400 for the saddle, 150 for climbing sticks, and 125 for a platform just to get started. Gonna do a lot of hiking so maybe I need a minimal setup.

Welcome to the site!! The aerohunter is a little on the pricey side but in my opinion it is well worth the money for a introduction to saddle hunting. In some regards the price can be a deterant for some but hunting options i.e. Trees are somewhat limitless. This is the price we pay for hunting freedom so to speak. I have transitioned to a minimalist setup as of now but that was after extensive time learning the basics. I can't necessarily recommend my setup as it is not fully rated for off the ground use but like i stated it is something i think any newbie should work into. There have been alot of advancement in this form of hunting greatly in part to alot of the members on this site. As a beginner i would only stress to research the gear you use and take all precautions necessary to achieve your goals. Welcome again to the site!!

Back