• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Noobie from NC

kelly.jayp

Charlotte area - just put in my pre-order for a Kestrel full kit, and been looking very hard at Wild Edge stepps - hoping I can get proficient with them so it's quick to ascend and descend - not wanting to carry in sticks if I don't have to. Lots to learn and looking forward to how this impacts my hunting. Some of the threads on upgrades and rope types are not yet clear to me yet - so would love to know if anyone is in this area I could meet to see the setup. But assuming I should get used to the Kestrel package first before messing with alterations. I have been seeing a lot on the Ropeman 1, just not entirely sure I get it. On thing is for sure - I will not miss hanging lock ons!

Good luck this season

Welcome! I'm a newb to the saddle but i got one of the last EVO's made. Im in NC too, near the TN line along I40 so we're not that close but I haven't seen many other NC guys on here. PM me... be happy to help you out any way I can. I've got some wild edge steps and they're pretty easy to use for climbing, little tougher to use as a platform. They're great as a platform but its tough to get 3 or 4 of them hung at the same level on a tree without using a ratchet strap or something similar, in my limited experience.

I got a sit drag also (mainly because I could get it way faster than a Aero product..either one... then you can test your climbing setup and platform ideas... FWIW in limited experience.

Welcome! I'm a newb to the saddle but i got one of the last EVO's made. Im in NC too, near the TN line along I40 so we're not that close but I haven't seen many other NC guys on here. PM me... be happy to help you out any way I can. I've got some wild edge steps and they're pretty easy to use for climbing, little tougher to use as a platform. They're great as a platform but its tough to get 3 or 4 of them hung at the same level on a tree without using a ratchet strap or something similar, in my limited experience.

I got a sit drag also (mainly because I could get it way faster than a Aero product..either one... then you can test your climbing setup and platform ideas... FWIW in limited experience.

my stepps are on the way - so should be practicing the knot and camming them over this weekend - won't have a saddle for a while it appears - did you get the aider? I did so another thing to master....

I didn't get the aider, I mainly want to use the stepps as a platform but thats not working out so great for me at this point. I plan to do some modifying to make them better suit this purpose. I also don't like the idea of having to set up each step as i go so I've also got a set of hawk helium sticks and i've added a single step aider to the bottom of each stick. I have some of the hawk mega steps also if i feel like i need to get higher, and also to experiment with using them as a platform.

Ive always hunted from a summit climber before so getting used to different climbing methods is a new learning curve for me.

Back