• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Not exactly backcounty...

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
But I did finally get to test out some of my new gear!

Warbonnet ridgerunner with hiking pole mod
warbonnet superfly tarp
warbonnect lynx underquilt
warbonnet mamba topquilt

Friday night I set up the hammock and tarp in the backyard and tested the gear out. Here are 2 pics, I forgot to take a pic with my quilts on.
It was in the 80s when I started so I was hot for a while, probably should have vented underneath a little more. But it was in the 60s early morning and I was nice and cozy in there :cool:

18e411770c7233b502f235e581616c72.jpg

f7a08595a8c70ef97e3d66e2cfd703b3.jpg

Another hammock convert! I love it! I have spent many nights in the Ridge Runner and have never been let down. You're going to find that those saddle bags on the Ridge Runner are a game changer. They are so convenient!

You have yourself a SWEET setup. What is your name on Hammock forums?

swampsnyper said:
I like it. I'm going warbonnet also but the blackbird xlc and superfly.
What suspension did you get?

The xlc and superfly are excellent choices. You're going to want the whoopie sling setup. I've used them all and it's the best. The webbing/buckle suspension is on my Ridge Runner but all my gathered end hammocks use dutchware whoopie hooks and whoopie slings.

That's what I planned to do. A little overwhelmed with all the dutchware. Don't know which way to go? What about dutchware on the superfly? I'm on hammock forums with the same name but never post, just studying setups right now.

You guys really need to make at least one or two runs before adding hunting weight on top. My first trip to ohio this year no way I could've taken my hunt gear too. It was all I could do to carry that pack at times. I stripped a lot of stuff out of my bag. Have you ever run a water pump? Not fun. Got a cooking system or are you going to eat shelf stable the whole time? A warm dinner and hot drink in the morning go a loooong way to keeping going. Ever start a fire with stuff not quite dry?

My point is there's a million variables to camping and adding a hunt into it is that much more. My one buddy hasn't camped in years, has virtually no gear and has the bright idea he's gonna go solo in rifle season. I wish him the best but I have a feeling he will be miserable.

Never done the back country. I know I got a lot to learn. That hunt will be in sept 2016. I'll just be practicing with my hammock out the truck on public land to fine tune it this season. I've been cooking on my fancy feast alcohol stove for mountain house meals on my lil weekend hunts. Packing everything in a backpack will be new but I should be able to fine tune what I need to pack this year and hope I can carry it for next year! My buddy has been going the last few years for a week elk hunt and I'm going with him so that's a big help.

swampsnyper said:
I like it. I'm going warbonnet also but the blackbird xlc and superfly.
What suspension did you get?
I ordered it with the whoopies but they sent it to me with the buckles. I was so excited to get it that I just kept them. I can always switch.

g2outdoors said:
Another hammock convert! I love it! I have spent many nights in the Ridge Runner and have never been let down. You're going to find that those saddle bags on the Ridge Runner are a game changer. They are so convenient!

You have yourself a SWEET setup. What is your name on Hammock forums?

I love the saddle bags already. I unpacked everything and they went right in there so I didn't lose stuff. I love the hiking pole mod as well.

I am redsquirrelNJ, but I have just been a lurker over there :lol:

Re:

jlh42581 said:
You guys really need to make at least one or two runs before adding hunting weight on top. My first trip to ohio this year no way I could've taken my hunt gear too. It was all I could do to carry that pack at times. I stripped a lot of stuff out of my bag. Have you ever run a water pump? Not fun. Got a cooking system or are you going to eat shelf stable the whole time? A warm dinner and hot drink in the morning go a loooong way to keeping going. Ever start a fire with stuff not quite dry?

My point is there's a million variables to camping and adding a hunt into it is that much more. My one buddy hasn't camped in years, has virtually no gear and has the bright idea he's gonna go solo in rifle season. I wish him the best but I have a feeling he will be miserable.

You are absolutely right and I don't think anyone here is going to argue with you on that. You definitely gotta get out and practice with your gear to get comfortable, especially if you're going into a backcountry situation. The last thing you want is to be trying to figure stuff out when you're back there.

Back