• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Notch dryad dynamic cabling

Killintime

Hi all-

Just received my kestrel / tree stuff order / xop platform this week and have been tinkering around. I have been a long time lurker on the sight and have expiramented with the sit drag and some homemade gear before buying the kestrel.. what a difference... I haven't heard much mention of the notch dryad dynamic cabling on here so I figured I would give it a try and see if anyone else has used it.

For those not familiar, this is a low stretch hollow core. the 3/8" which I bought has an average strength rating around 3000lbs.. it splices super easy, is advertised to be abrasion resistant and it's camo. I think I payed about .58 per foot. Got it at treestuff.

I made a few straps for my lone wolf sticks so far and it seems to work good. I plan to try it on the platform sometime this weekend and have been expiramenting with an adjustable bridge also. I think this stuff shows lots of promise.

As far as the splicing goes, I was able to make a slip spice (at least that's what I'm going to call it) where you feed the tag end back through a length of the rope and let it tension on itself under load. Anyway I made the splice approximately 12" long then attached to an eyebolt in my garage ceiling and bounced up and down (200lbs) with no slipage and near zero stretch. the loop adjusts easily when weight is removed. Looks safe to me as long as a stopper knot is used for any vital application.

Anyway, just thought I would sign up and share my experience..

Happy hunting

Hi all-

Just received my kestrel / tree stuff order / xop platform this week and have been tinkering around. I have been a long time lurker on the sight and have expiramented with the sit drag and some homemade gear before buying the kestrel.. what a difference... I haven't heard much mention of the notch dryad dynamic cabling on here so I figured I would give it a try and see if anyone else has used it.

For those not familiar, this is a low stretch hollow core. the 3/8" which I bought has an average strength rating around 3000lbs.. it splices super easy, is advertised to be abrasion resistant and it's camo. I think I payed about .58 per foot. Got it at treestuff.

I made a few straps for my lone wolf sticks so far and it seems to work good. I plan to try it on the platform sometime this weekend and have been expiramenting with an adjustable bridge also. I think this stuff shows lots of promise.

As far as the splicing goes, I was able to make a slip spice (at least that's what I'm going to call it) where you feed the tag end back through a length of the rope and let it tension on itself under load. Anyway I made the splice approximately 12" long then attached to an eyebolt in my garage ceiling and bounced up and down (200lbs) with no slipage and near zero stretch. the loop adjusts easily when weight is removed. Looks safe to me as long as a stopper knot is used for any vital application.

Happy hunting
Welcome. Awesome insight. A lot of folks use Amsteel blue which is a similar rope. Sounds like your stuff is a great option as well. Thx for sharing.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

Welcome to the site!

Funny you mention this. I just bought some to try out for my wild edge stepps and I think I'm going to like it. I put one on for a test but had to leave on my work trip before I could do the rest.

The reason I like this over amsteel for many of our uses such as sticks and stepps is that on tree stuff's site they note the "suberb knot holding ability". That means it is safe to put knots in! (unlike amsteel!) They also note it is abrasion resistant and has low stretch.

It is soft and quiet and packs down pretty nice. I'll have to use it in the field but I'm optimistic.

Hi all-

Happy hunting
Is the slip splice you mention done similar to hollow braid polypropylene/ski rope? I've used that stuff for years on my linemans belt. I liked it because of its adjustable loop which cinches nicely.

Last edited:
Is the slip splice you mention done similar to hollow braid polypropylene/ski rope? I've used that stuff for years on my linemans belt. I liked it because of its adjustable loop which cinches nicely.

I'm going to assume so. However... I simply fitted the end of the rope over a ink pen and electrical taped it on so it wouldn't fall off. Then used the pen as a splicing needle. Make a loop and run the pen through a length of the rope and back out. I left enough tag to tie a square knot around the main line, which acts as a stopper and still allows adjustment.

(Disclaimer: I'm not a pro arborist/climber/knot and splice guy. Just self taught). I do plan on buying more of this to replace the winch line on my pioneer though. That will be the real strength test... but I'll most likely get the 1/2" or 3/4" for that.

From treestuff:

Splicing Recommendation

Two tucks separated by 6 picks, followed by a straight bury of 1 fid length. Tie a stopper knot after the bury exits.

Also got to use my climbing sticks yesterday. The rope worked great the only downside i have is that it's soft.. which isn't much of an issue because I target trees that I can just reach around. If you are climbing trees you can't get your arms around... It doesn't seem to "whip" as well as a stiffer line would. But I think it makes up for that in packability. I just wrap the Versa-button twice (once in front and once behind the rope comin around the tree. Then a sort of step knot around the pole. (Which doesn't even get tight under load because the Versa-button wrap method holds all the weight))

To avoid confusion I probably should have called it a "slip eye" in my first post. As the splice recommendation from tree stuff is for a rope to rope splice (putting two pieces together). For the eye I'm just using the straight burry and stopper knot portion. See disclaimer above... lol

f6ac474d91c70e0fa10f802c118f982e.jpg

I have it on my wild edge stepp and like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi all-

Happy hunting
Good to hear .. welcome

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Bought 50’ of it and a Kong Duck.Gona make a tether have been wanting one with a splice and maybe try rappeling with mini8 and it.

Have not received my rope called and back ordered for ever. They could not give me a date but at least two months.

My order of the 1/2" arrived , but not the 3/8"(back ordered).
It is a strange braid as it reminds me of tubular webbing. I tryed it in my ropeman 1 and it did grab; however it seems a bit sketchy for that application to me. I don't know how well it would work for rappelling, since it's of a tubular shape . It splices like a dream though.

It is a strange braid as it reminds me of tubular webbing. I tryed it in my ropeman 1 and it did grab; however it seems a bit sketchy for that application to me. I don't know how well it would work for rappelling, since it's of a tubular shape . It splices like a dream though.
Without a core I would not use it in either of those applications. I also tried a whoopie sling with it but I couldn't get it to bite down on itself.

Did the 3/8" come in yet? I just ordered some earlier today.

Back