• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Off season plans

Zddog

What everyone doing to pass the time until next deer season?

Anyone shed hunting soon? Turkey hunting? Fishing? All of the above???

I've been passing the time trying to read up on western hunting because my goal is to do a diy elk hunt in 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spend spring scouting and fishing through spring and summer. This spring I will spend a lot of time working on things I learned from my first season of saddle hunting. I may start doing some rock climbing and rapelling this year. And plan on getting into a workout routine to drop some weight before next season.

I really want to do a Western hunt as well.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

What everyone doing to pass the time until next deer season?

Anyone shed hunting soon? Turkey hunting? Fishing? All of the above???

I've been passing the time trying to read up on western hunting because my goal is to do a diy elk hunt in 2018.

Scouting till fishing season opens in April

All of the above. Have been scouting a few times. Turkey season starts a month from today and I'm raring to go. Usually am just a casual fisher, but that bug seems to be biting a little more than usual this year.

Trying to increase my public land scouting this year. Forces seem to have aligned against me so far: last two times I tried to go out it has either rained or my kids have gotten pukey sick.

Will definitely be turkey hunting again this year. That elusive first tom is high on my list of critters to maim.

I walked ALL DAY yesterday. Didn't find a thing.

Fly fishing for trout in April, turkey hunting in May, scouting in the summer .Hoping to get a areohunter and stepplader and practicing climbing.

I plan on having my Aero Hunter dialed in and the farm I hunt most is going to get a new food plot. 188 acres to tend to. Owners live in Florida so they named my brother and I as caretakers of the property. Lots of work to do. Turkey season April 17th and we have been seeing lots of toms. My brother Jeff, 52 years old, underwent heart bypass surgery yesterday. He needed 5 bypasses. By all indications his surgeon expects a full and speedy recovery. God is our Rock and we put all things in His Hands. Jeff has been making and selling turkey calls for many years and I am his self appointed official field tester. We always hunt as a team. We may or may not run and gun this year as is our style but I thank God I'll have the privilege and opportunity to share a turkey blind with my brother. I'd like to get a few pre sets out too. Climbing spikes are on their way to me. I shoot traditional archery, cross bow, just bought a new CVA Accura .50 cal muzzleloader, and I love poking big fat does with my Rock River AR. Family time is ever important. I've got two grandsons who love to ride the 4 wheelers and both are learning gun safety and developing their shooting skills at the young age of 6 years old each. I plan to cram every minute of every day being productive and loving life because in the blink of and eye it could be gone. I'm also excited about finding this forum of like minded individuals and sharing our love for what we do and forming a brotherhood of good friends here. Everyone have a Blessed day.

I've already gotten several scouting trips in, but work has put a damper on my progress. I've been out of state for over a week and I have another week to go. I'm hoping to get a little more scouting in at the end of February because we are fast approaching green up.
I plan on scouting as many places with the kayak as I can before I have to give it back to its owner.

I hope to get my Sit Drag and bolt setup fine tuned, as well as reconfiguring my DaveT1963 platform to get rid of the versa button in exchange for Amsteel with a Jim Stepp knot.
Also, @Scoutman and I have to set up at least a dozen trees from what has already been scouted.

I would really like to do some late summer observation sits this year as well. I have one spot on a bluff where I can see 500 yards over some flats we are going to hunt.
All in all, I am really excited about this next season. Several spots look to have some great potential.

I've already gotten several scouting trips in, but work has put a damper on my progress. I've been out of state for over a week and I have another week to go. I'm hoping to get a little more scouting in at the end of February because we are fast approaching green up.
I plan on scouting as many places with the kayak as I can before I have to give it back to its owner.

I hope to get my Sit Drag and bolt setup fine tuned, as well as reconfiguring my DaveT1963 platform to get rid of the versa button in exchange for Amsteel with a Jim Stepp knot.
Also, @Scoutman and I have to set up at least a dozen trees from what has already been scouted.

I would really like to do some late summer observation sits this year as well. I have one spot on a bluff where I can see 500 yards over some flats we are going to hunt.
All in all, I am really excited about this next season. Several spots look to have some great potential.

You know any ranchers that would let people hunt pigs on their land down there?

Did a successful scouting trip this morning. Found tons of buck sign and some obvious beds along a river bank on some native tall grass. Found tons of huge droppings and a bajillion rubs...

You know any ranchers that would let people hunt pigs on their land down there?

Not around me, it's dang near impossible to get permission on private.

Not around me, it's dang near impossible to get permission on private.

Have you ever hunted sand cranes? Something I want to do sometime.

I've only seen 1 sand crane in my life in northeast texas. The panhandle and west Texas have them though. I've seen them around Ballinger Tx and I hear they hit winter wheat fields hard in the panhandle counties. I'd LOVE to get a chance to get some.

Saw Meateater episode where they hunted them. Definitely referred to them as ribeye in the sky. It is on my list.

Back