• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Old Hunter, New to Saddle Hunting!

DKI

Hello! I'm a 51 year old from Missouri, been hunting all my life. Read numerous articles, listened to some podcasts, heard about this site and decided to try something new. Ordered a full Kestrel setup and am anxiously awaiting it's arrival. I've hunted from numerous brands of climbing and hang on stands over the past 35 years but am totally new to saddle hunting. I've got some Lone Wolf climbing sticks, Stepp ladder steps and screw in steps as options for climbing and as a platform.

I've read several posts on this site and watched some youtube videos regarding saddles, possible platforms, etc. I would appreciate any guidance or advice you folks have to offer!

I hunt with a bow and rifle but prefer to bowhunt. Gonna attempt to shoot one with a longbow this year.

Thanks!

Welcome! Stick with it, saddle hunting has a learning curve. This site will help tremendously with that curve but don't give up to soon. What part of Missouri?

Thanks,
Boswell

X2 what boswell said!! There is a learning curve but alot of us can help ease the pain of figuring it out all on your own. Ask as many questions as you like and don't listen to the naysayers who think saddles are a gimick!! Welcome to the SADDLEHUNTER!!

Hello! I'm a 51 year old from Missouri, been hunting all my life. Read numerous articles, listened to some podcasts, heard about this site and decided to try something new. Ordered a full Kestrel setup and am anxiously awaiting it's arrival. I've hunted from numerous brands of climbing and hang on stands over the past 35 years but am totally new to saddle hunting. I've got some Lone Wolf climbing sticks, Stepp ladder steps and screw in steps as options for climbing and as a platform.

I've read several posts on this site and watched some youtube videos regarding saddles, possible platforms, etc. I would appreciate any guidance or advice you folks have to offer!

I hunt with a bow and rifle but prefer to bowhunt. Gonna attempt to shoot one with a longbow this year.

Thanks!

Welcome Saddle hunting is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boswell,

I'm from central Missouri and hunt here and in NW MO. I heard you on a podcast and watched your videos on the Kestrel which pushed me to order one.

Thanks

Welcome to the wonderful world of the saddle!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the site! Feel free to ask any questions as they pop up!

It sounds like you are all set once you receive your saddle. I would pick the climbing method that you are most comfortable with and definitely use two or three step ladders for the platform. Take them out a couple times for practice and once you feel confident, start hunting! It does take some getting used to and it takes a little getting used to to shoot from them. Once you get used to it, it is 10 times better than anything else! Best of luck to you.

Boswell,
I'm from central Missouri and hunt here and in NW MO. I heard you on a podcast and watched your videos on the Kestrel which pushed me to order one.
Well I have got family in Phelps co, thats where I was born an raised.

Thanks,
Boswell

I love to see these posts! Welcome to the site.

Don't get discouraged if it's uncomfortable or awkward for your first few hunts. The more you practice and learn your system, the more you'll fall in love with it. Good luck!

Yes welcome to the site. The kestrel is nice. There are a lot of us new to saddles here. Learning curve or not I find them more comfortable than any hang on stand and most climbers and ladder style stands. You are at the right place for learning as much as you can. The rest is just time in the tree.

Back