• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

One Aider Climb Video

justsomedude

I've got a cold and it's raining....but I went out and shot one anyway. Pardon my cough and climbing while on 'Tussin.

My favorite hunting spots are in fairly hard to access hills and thick woods. I HATE carrying sticks and platforms when getting there.

The extra gear required for this weighs 1.5# and fits in a dump pouch.

Kestrel
Yale Bandit Tether with Petzl William/Ropeman 1
Rope Linesman's belt with Ropeman 1
9mm Tether with Prusik (prefer Ropeman) and Black Diamond 5 Step Aider
Accessory cord between Foot Tether and Harness Tether carbabiners.

I'm moving slowly, but that's what you really want. Taking an extra minute while being quiet and not working up a sweat is great. I am keeping my posture while climbing on the Aider by using my Linesman's Belt.

On an easy tree, not raining and not sick...I climb to the top of the Aider and set my tether without taking up the slack until the tether is in place up high. If you pause to do something while moving up the Aider (like I did here) you just take up the tether slack and you can relax.

I set my Platform (didn't do it here) when my stomach is even with my desired platform height.

You'll see me 'fish' my foot into the loop (especially the top steps). And when moving the foot tether, I just lift my knees and then my feet are already just about in position to get back on the aider.

You have to manage the tails...Two tethers and the Linesman's belt. Just take your time.

Practice on small crooked trees. You get complacent on a nice medium sized straight tree. The worst thing that will happen is that your feet will kick out sideways. That's what the Linesman's belt and the extra connection between the foot tether and harness carabiner is for.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have a Stuff Sack on the top of the aider. When I get to height, I just put the aider and extra rope tail into the stuff sack and rotate it out of the way. I can hang my backpack on the Foot tether carabiner.

That is pretty cool!
I can see the benefit of your system for a long (all day) hunt, especially if hunting where a long ingress/egress is required.
I normally hunt a couple hours in the morning, then return for the magical evening hours. I also have the luxury of not having to hunt where it is too thick to carry my sticks.

I'm sure I will try this out when the time is right, I will use this video as a reference when I do.

Taking the time to make this video when sick - and in the rain is very commendable. You're a good 'dude' for sure.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Awesome! Looks like it would be to hard for an old man, though . Good job !

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Whats your preference climbing and rappelling. Bridge or belay loop?

For me the trophyline was uncomfortable with "tether climbing" versus a rock harness with belay loop....but the trophyline was pretty basic as far as adjustment (you just fell into the nut-hugger leg loops basically). Hows that kestrel/bridge compare to a belay loop harness

I've always liked "Extended Rappel" anyway. The Kestrel bridge works fine for me on Rappel.

Surprisingly it was ok on SRT using two Ropeman 1

I just timed it.
I was at 15' (foot height) in about 4 minutes. Getting down was slightly faster.
I'm using about a 3' connection between the foot loop carabiner and the harness carabiner. Any more, and i wouldn't have as much safety. Any less and i wouldn't be able to progress as quickly.

USE YOUR LINESMAN"S BELT. It requires a lot more effort to climb up the tree just holding on without the support of the LB. And on a leaning tree, your feet will kick out from under you!

On a leaning tree, it is easist to climb with the tree leaning towards you. You are going to swing towards the low end anyway, and it also creates extra space for your feet to get into the Aiders

Last edited:
best way to climb on my public ground that I have found so far!

I have a Stuff Sack on the top of the aider. When I get to height, I just put the aider and extra rope tail into the stuff sack and rotate it out of the way. I can hang my backpack on the Foot tether carabiner.
I like that I idea! I have not had a deer see my aider yet, but I have at times pulled it up and tied it off....hmmm my saddle brother has got me thinking again!!!

and I think you hit the nail on the head with safety....just take your time...seat your foot before moving to the next one and you will be fine.

I had my feet kick out straight sideways....Tree was bent and my toes were against the tree. I reached up to move my tether and I got a surprise. It put me off of the climbing method for a bit until I figured out how to make it safe.

The Linemsmans belt keeps your upper body in place so it doesn't happen. It also makes it less work.

I had my feet kick out straight sideways....Tree was bent and my toes were against the tree. I reached up to move my tether and I got a surprise. It put me off of the climbing method for a bit until I figured out how to make it safe.

The Linemsmans belt keeps your upper body in place so it doesn't happen. It also makes it less work.

I can't wait to try it out, lol, anything to make it easier sounds like a good idea to me!

Looks like too much work. Why not just bring a stick and do one stick method? Not that hard to carry 3lbs.

It's not more work than one stick (did it). It looks like work because I was setting my ropes

Other than that you aren't going quite as far in one move. But realistically, you can't hang a 5 step aider on a climbing stick

I say it's easier to take 1 minute longer than to carry 3# :) it isn't just the weight, its the long metal stick and I can get to the same place on the tree without it.

I walk to and from (if there's light) with bow in hand and an arrow ready

If I had a Muddy, I'd play with it.
But not using a stick is less sketchy. I am tethered, and my Aider is on a tether and my harness is backed up to that

Oh yeah...

I have double step sticks. Being able to use the top steps as part of my platform started to get me interested in one stick. But then I stood on my sticks for a few hours and didn't love it as much. Always a trade off..

Back