• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ozone on saddle, ropes and bow string

E-climb

Will exposure to Ozone degrade my saddle, ropes or bow string?

I just ordered an ozone mashing to run in the back of my pickup. I've got a topper that is more or less enclosed. My plan is to run the machine overnight with all my equipment hanging in the back, except my scent lok. The idea is that I won't have to touch or move the gear till I'm at my hunting location.

After doing a little more reading I'm getting worried that ozone will degrade the integrity of equipment that I'm putting my weight onto.

Thoughts?

Ozone is tough on rubber. So boots, neoprene, elastic cuffs and the foam rubber seal in the back of your truck.
Otherwise it shouldn't affect your gear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How tough is it on rubber boots? Will they melt in one night of exposure or does it make them stiff? I get the $15 ones from Walmart and with all the hiking I do with them they crack at the toe joint within a month or two anyway. I was mostly worried about nylon. But it seems like that will be ok in an ozone bath. I know that you never want to expose climbing equipment to stuff like gasoline.

I just listened to a Podcast with the owner of ScentCrusher on Wired to Hunt. His rubber boots have hundreds of hours in their ozone box with no signs of wear. Ozone is only harmful to natural rubbers. Hunting boots are made using rubber compounds and shouldn't be harmed by ozone. YMMV.

Ozone is tough on rubber. So boots, neoprene, elastic cuffs and the foam rubber seal in the back of your truck.
x2

I just listened to a Podcast with the owner of ScentCrusher on Wired to Hunt. His rubber boots have hundreds of hours in their ozone box with no signs of wear. Ozone is only harmful to natural rubbers. Hunting boots are made using rubber compounds and shouldn't be harmed by ozone. YMMV.
I don't know what he is using, but I have broken down 3 pairs of boots using ozone. I would put them in my box after every hunt. By the end of the season they were shot. I stopped putting my boots or anything that I think could be affected in it.

x2

I don't know what he is using, but I have broken down 3 pairs of boots using ozone. I would put them in my box after every hunt. By the end of the season they were shot. I stopped putting my boots or anything that I think could be affected in it.

Besides your boots what other equipment do you exclude from ozone?

No. I'll use it on my gear (pack, bow, release, etc.) in a tote before each hunt. I also use Scentlok. I'm not worried about human smells during the hunt, only residual smells left on gear. Hopefully the Ozone solves that problem.

Like I said, this is new to me this season. We shall see...

Besides your boots what other equipment do you exclude from ozone?
I have never put my bow in it. I also don't put clothes in it because I don't want it to break down seals, and I just wash my clothing anyway.

I use ozone on everything except my bow. I have muck boots and there are signs of cracking but I think my boots will wear out from normal use first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're not using it on your bow, clothes, or boots, what goes in there? Saddle? calls? Pack?
Saddle, pack, pull up rope, sticks, release, step platform, strap on steps, rangefinder. Anything that goes in the woods with me that I can't throw in the wash (I do wash my pack too but it is easier to throw it in the ozone.)

Why are you guys afraid to ozone bath your bows?
My bow doesn't fit in my ozone container. Plus it doesn't come into contact with my skin during hunting season so I haven't worried about it. Also after seeing what it did to my boots I didn't want to take a change on it damaging anything on the bow.

I've been using an ozone generator for a couple years now, I put all of my hunting clothes in at 8 x 10 box trailer and turn on the ozone, everything is holding up decently except for socks they get stretched out pretty easily and the rubber silencers on my crossbow so I stopped using the ozone generator on my bow. As mentioned before ozone is hard on natural rubbers.

Great info, I was going to ask about these details and I found this thread.

I've convinced myself into buying one now for two reasons hunting the obvious and last week I spilled a pan of roasted pork tenderloin in my truck seat i can't even describe how bad the smell has become ....so I'm hoping this will help get rid of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back