• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

ozone treatment

kenn1320

I bought asat camo years ago. One of the reasons was they do not have any uv enhancers. Out of fear of contaminating them in my washing machine, I don't believe I have ever washed them. I play the wind and if a deer is going to smell my camo, he will smell me. My question though now that I have an ozone generator is.....Is there any reason to ever wash your clothes if an ozone generator eliminates odors? Sure nobody wants blood/mud/etc on their clothing, but outside of obvious issues, is there any reason to wash camo if you can run it through ozone?

To my knowledge my FIL has never laundered any of his hunting clothes. Ever. And he gets scent-busted like crazy. :mask:

So, to answer your question... hell if I know. I googled around and could find absolutely zero info on this question.

The best answer my feeble brain could come up with is that if Ozone were an adequate substitute for traditional laundering methods we would have already seen it used en masse by now. Not really a great answer though i'll admit.

If your looking for an alternative to washing your hunting clothes, I have heard of people putting them in the deep freeze for a couple days. This will kill the bacteria and the smell. Your actually supposed to do that for jeans unless they are covered in dirt.

Caution if anyone tries this make sure to allow time to thaw them before wearing.

If your looking for an alternative to washing your hunting clothes, I have heard of people putting them in the deep freeze for a couple days. This will kill the bacteria and the smell. Your actually supposed to do that for jeans unless they are covered in dirt.

Caution if anyone tries this make sure to allow time to thaw them before wearing.

I can confirm that this does not work on stinky boat shoes. They smelled just as bad after they thawed out lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought asat camo years ago. One of the reasons was they do not have any uv enhancers. Out of fear of contaminating them in my washing machine, I don't believe I have ever washed them. I play the wind and if a deer is going to smell my camo, he will smell me. My question though now that I have an ozone generator is.....Is there any reason to ever wash your clothes if an ozone generator eliminates odors? Sure nobody wants blood/mud/etc on their clothing, but outside of obvious issues, is there any reason to wash camo if you can run it through ozone?
I think your head is in the right place but I'm not sure that it will work like you want it to with that set up. Here is a product scentlok sells that does what you suggest but using your washing machine. I've seen the same concept for regular consumer use, so its not crazy.

The problem with your washing machine is residual UV brighteners from every day laundry detergents. Ive heard you can run a few loads of laundry with your hunting soap to clean the machine but not sure on that. Others have dedicated machines just for their clothes.
Years ago I washed my stuff all the time. Well mainly i asked my wife to. Lol One season I was getting picked off like never before. I couldn't believe it. I went to wash my stuff for a trip and asked my wife where my hunting soap was. She replied that ran out last yr, ive been using regular detergent. Guys I dont know if there was a correlation between the soap and me getting picked off, but I got new camo.

I personally use dead down wind products which I have complete trust in this brand as it has yet to fail me. I will run one empty load with soap and then another load with camo. You could also just wash the basin out with the soap and let air dry. I then use ozone after they are washed. Just my process

The problem with your washing machine is residual UV brighteners from every day laundry detergents. Ive heard you can run a few loads of laundry with your hunting soap to clean the machine but not sure on that. Others have dedicated machines just for their clothes.
Years ago I washed my stuff all the time. Well mainly i asked my wife to. Lol One season I was getting picked off like never before. I couldn't believe it. I went to wash my stuff for a trip and asked my wife where my hunting soap was. She replied that ran out last yr, ive been using regular detergent. Guys I dont know if there was a correlation between the soap and me getting picked off, but I got new camo.

I don't want to discount your experiences but I honestly think you're overthinking things.

If you're that worried almost all of the hunting detergent is going on sale or clearance right now. Buy a couple of bottles and it should last you for a few seasons. I have been living in a house where the primary launderer washes everything in hyper-perfurmed detergent and fabric softener. I've had to wash / rejuvinate my scent-lok in those same machines. Of course I was worried about residue from that other crap - but I also don't have access to a 2nd washer/dryer.

I did just as MCDM did and just wash + dry a large load of towels before I laundered my camo, if nothing else than to get the perfumey smell out of the dryer. Was this effective? Hard to say. But I still haven't been visibly scent-busted since we've been living there.

We use scent free detergents for everything but a lot of them have brighteners in them if you are worried about that...
I wash my hunting clothes in baking soda

I don't see how it could hurt...

But I worry more about scent than UV brighteners so I'd just wash them the best I could. Last year I washed my clothes in a laundry mat, without a pre-wash cycle. Put them back into a bag that had other clean carbon clothes in it which I suspect absorbed the residual laundry scent. Because I definitely had deer close, know I was there from down wind and not bust.

There is a school of thought that says the "scary" smell to deer comes from the skin of predators - certain common proteins that only meat eaters emit. Based on very rigid scent control program (and also knowing when I wasn't working the program), I think this could very well be the most important thing to overcome... but that's just one guy and no science.

If it were true, then I would recommend washing. Or at least try the Ozone and maybe hang in the woods somewhere to air out if you can.

If that meat eater smell is true, how long to get rid of it. If you are plant based for a while before going afield would it change your luck?

If that meat eater smell is true, how long to get rid of it. If you are plant based for a while before going afield would it change your luck?

I gave up meat for several months, stopped wearing cologne, scent free deodorant, etc. Didn't seem to help, and it was hell not eating meat. Some say you can eat clorophorm type pills to help with your body odor, never tried that. Didn't have any luck with scent loc either. Strange as it sounds, guys shoot big bucks doing the stupidest things. Its more about having big bucks in your area than anything else. All the scent control in the world won't help if your not in the right place.

I wash mine in Scent Away and keep them in large zip loc type bags that I found at Dollar Tree

Longer than I would last. More and more, I'm starting to believe that could be true though as I observe.

Why do deer avoid coyotes and not raccoons? How would they know the difference? I bet if you picked up deer from one place and moved them to another, without Mama doe teaching them what is a predator and what isn't, they would avoid the predators by scent and be more trusting of non-predator animals.

I've also heard that prey animals all have eyes on the sides of their heads.
If you wore a nylon sock and painted eyes on the side would they think predator if the saw you or would it give you the couple of seconds extra to make a shot?

If I had to quit eating meat what would be the point in hunting?

Chlorophyll pills or liquid definitely works to reduce BO. I use it every year and there is a noticeable difference after getting sweaty, for instance.

Chlorophyll pills or liquid definitely works to reduce BO. I use it every year and there is a noticeable difference after getting sweaty, for instance.

I have used this every year for the past 3 years and I think it works too. This year life got too crazy. Just be ready to poop green!

Back