• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Permethrin

ricky racer

Reading some earlier posts on ticks and the use of Permethrin on your clothing, I did a little checking to see if it is recommended for that use. I can't find anywhere that lists personal use one's self or your clothing. I'd like to verify that it is safe before I give it a try on myself or my family. Can someone point me in the right direction?

It's safe for clothing. Not that bad for skin. Even applied directly to dogs and livestock. Toxic to cats. Apply to your clothing, let it dry, and enjoy the outdoors. Just make sure to use a safe dose. Sawyers makes a good premix if you are uncomfortable mixing your own.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

As far as insecticides go it is probably one of the safest you can use. I would not hesitate to put it on my clothes if I had a choice between ticks, mosquitos and permethrin. I have taken some toxicology in university and have used it on the farm. It may be a carcinogen if you drink it but that is not proven. So just don't drink it and no worries . It has a high LD 50 so it is not very toxic to human Keep it out of your eyes

Last edited:
I guess there's a double post. I commented on the other one first. As mentioned above, it is the active ingredient in Sawyers big sprays. Also, it was developed by the military for this exact purpose. Aside from keeping away from cats while it is wet, it is VERY easy to safely work with.
Don't worry about the name brands, the farm and ranch brands work perfectly for sometime 1/10 the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it safe to have around cats after it's dry?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Is it safe to have around cats after it's dry?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
This may be helpful. High rates sprayed on the cats - extremely toxic. Toxicity of a chemical is always related to dosage, type of contact, dermal or oral and time so keep your cat away from you when you are wearing your hunting clothes and all is good and no ticks - even better.

Signs of Toxicity - Animals
  • Dermal exposures to cats and dogs may cause temporary paresthesia and neurological signs as evidenced by paw flicking or ear, tail or skin twitching, or rolling on the ground.5
  • Cats exposed dermally to some permethrin products may experience hyperexcitability, depression, ataxia, vomiting, anorexia, tremors, or convulsions. Symptoms can begin within a few minutes or up to three days after the exposure. Some permethrin products contain high concentrations of the active ingredient and are labeled for use only on dogs. Close physical contact with a recently treated dog may also lead to symptoms in cats. If symptoms are severe and untreated, they may result in death.5,7,10
  • A report of 11 cats intentionally treated with products containing 45-65% permethrin described adverse effects including muscle tremors, seizures, incoordination and agitation after exposure. Of the 11 cats that were treated, all were hospitalized, and four died after the exposure. Seizures were found to develop within 24 hours of exposure, with some cats experiencing seizures within two hours. In one additional case, a cat was in proximity of two large dogs treated with a permethrin product 48 hours after treatment. Between 18 and 24 hours after being near the dogs, the cat developed signs including agitation, tremors, seizures, and ataxia.11
  • Animals may also display drooling or lip-smacking. This is believed to be a result of licking at the application site and thought to be caused either by the taste or a tingling sensation in the mouth.5
  • Cattle which have been treated topically with permethrin may show signs of paresthesia including twitching the skin on their backs, trying to rub their backs, and general restlessness.5
From the National Pesticide Information Center

I use Sawyers to treat all my hunting clothing. It lasts thru several washes ( i hand wash my deer clothing) and is very effective. Many prefer to buy the concentrate and mix themselves because it is cheaper in the long run. I find it easier to buy a large bottle of sawyers already mixed each year and spray my clothes inside and out. Sawyers can be bought on Amazon, and I believe they sell it at WalMart now. I have always heard that as long as you let it completely dry, it is safe. It is odorless when dry so it is ideal for deer hunters.

I've still got about 2 season's worth of concentrate. What I'm doing this year is filling a 1 gal pump up sprayer with the diluted solution, hanging all my stuff on hangers from the lip of my open garage door, spraying every piece of hunting material I can (straps, ropes, clothing, backpack, saddle, etc...), and letting them dry on a warm day. Last year was the first year I used permethrin, and it made such a difference. But, I tried to do it all in the shower, and that was a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back