• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Picking the right tree

I am enjoying watching your videos. I learn something by the way you are explaining what you are lookng at. thanks

Thanks again for another great video. What tool(s) do you use for trimming when you go in to hunt? Just the folding saw you showed in your pack video? Why not trim it now?

Thanks Dave!

On that particular tree I will only need to trim branches to climb and shoot on the tree I am in. So yes, I will use my clippers and maybe saw the day I hunt. Why? Because I like to surprise the heck out of them as much as possible and only do the trimming I need iin order to shoot. If I did it now I would have to be aggressive with trimming as I don't know what new growth would show up (I tend to get a little overboard on trimming in winter to ensure when I come back in Oct the lanes are still clear). So with a tree where the only trimming that needs to be done is in the tree I am in, then I wait and do it the night I plan on killing that buck from it. If I have a lot of trees that need shooting lanes trimmed through I do that in early spring. Just my approach not necessarily the best but it works for me.

Back