• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Plans for the year

woods89

So one of my favorite sections of the site has been a little quiet. Just wondering what kind of trips people are thinking of making this year?

I'm planning on doing at least one backpacking trip during turkey season. My brother and my brother-in-law may join me, not sure yet. My brother-in-law doesn't really have any backpacking gear so that could make it a bit interesting. He really wants to come hunt turkeys on big public land tho as opposed to farm country where he lives.

I'm hoping to do some backcountry camping trips this spring and summer in various places around here. I've been wanting to go down to the Buffalo River area of northern Arkansas for awhile so maybe that will happen this year.

I'm sure I'll do some more during deer season in fall as I had good luck with it this year but that's aways off yet!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I'll be doing a bunch of local camping, like always. As long as I shower somewhere, people at work don't even know I've been camping. It sucks to drive into town to work while trying to enjoy the outdoors though. But I'm planning to be completely debt free this year and be off grid totally in another year or two, so money is budgeted strictly to afford these goals. I'm only going on two trips this year: saddle palooza and a hunt in Arizona (hopefully my Arizona buddy and I both get elk tags, if not, I'll hunt what I can.) Unless something comes up, I plan on really enjoying both those. The saddle trip is much cheaper, so if I have to choose one, I'll go to Ohio

Shaun

I had to cancel my elk trip. Going to be moving to Alabama this summer and I didn't want to chance backing out on my buddy at the last minute so I told him to go with his old group again this year. Hopefully next year I'll be settled and can make plans. I hate an unreliable hunting partner so I figured canceling early was the best option.

KY turkey hunt in April, Deep sea fishing trip to the Caribbean in June, DIY Missouri bowhunt in November, and hopefully I'll make Saddlepalooza in October. Last year I did a fully guided elk hunt to Montana so I need to hunt on the cheap for a year or two to replenish my hunting fund.

I'll be hunting and fishing all year long in upstate NY as well.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Cool to hear what y'all have going on!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Really itching to try out my backcountry gear. I'm hoping to put in a long weekend backcountry turkey hunt up in the catskills in may, and then at least another weekend over the summer just for relaxing. I had been hoping to do a deer hunt in the fall but with the baby at home I'm saving up all my points to go to saddlepalooza during deer season.

I have a full year ahead of me. I just hope I can pull it all off. I got some new backpack gear I really want to try and have been thinking of going to the backcountry zone of Montana in 2017. This year if I can get a couple of nights out in it to iron out the kinks I will be happy. There was talk of doing a night or two at saddlepalooza?

Our archery season starts in September and runs through New years day. That is my fill in hunting, but here are the rest of the trips I hope to accomplish.

Heading to Idaho for a DIY elk hunt the second week of october.

Then i hope to be off to Saddlepalooza the last week. (for any MN or WI guys, looking for a carpool, lets chat)

November is rifle deer hunting in in MN and WI. I usually take the entire week of thanksgiving off to head to deer camp in WI.

This summer is my five year wedding anniversary and my wife and I are planning on canoeing down through the missouri river breaks in montana. I hope to do some scouting for good mulie areas for a future hunt while we are there.

No elk trip for me this year. I'll be going to the Boundary Waters again in May, and hopefully a few more times throughout the summer and fall. I love fishing up there, and the solitude and travel by water is really unique. My girlfriend wants to come along. I keep telling her about my plans to build a nice backcountry tent after selling the nice MSR, and she always gets flustered when I bring it up, thinking I can't pull it off. :lol:

I told her I'd wait to sell the MSR until I've built the new one and tested it out.

Mostly home station for Turkey and deer.
Planning on Saddlepalooza last week of Oct.
I plan on exploring some state ground that isn't readily accessible. I'd like to get to an island that had a short crossable (for deer) river branch between it and mainland. No one ever hunts it (drive by everyday) and I found sign of a huge buck on the main side. I think he crosses at night and the area has a lot of road kills so I know there are deer on the island.
Also want to explore some funnels along mountain side that's 2 miles off the road. About a mile away the largest buck in the county was shot 2 years ago and there are more there - I'm sure!
2017 DIY CO elk hunt with my friend who's done 4-5 trips already. No saddles just a lot of running after elk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the in state hunting public land camping thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im planning on a public land local hunter assisted Sika deer hunt in the marshes of Dorchester, Md. Hopefully if all goes well I will have at least seen one marsh ghost before the year is up. I know this mini elk is hard to come by so I do not expect anything, but I definitely cant kill one if I do no try. Gonna hit it early season when most other hunters wont go due to the harsh bug factor..

Back