• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Platform advantage

IHI6FAN

Vendor Rep
I have always used screw in steps an ameristeps for my platform. What is the advantages to using a Platform?

I too am wondering the same thing. What the pros and cons with each.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Cons, is your carry a little more weight. Pros are , you hav a solid platform, instead of just the narrow step. More comfortable on the feet.

Platform is by far the most comfortable on your feet. It also gets you further out from the tree so you can shoot more easily around the tree without moving your feet around the tree. But the bulk and another item to strap to the tree if you are still adding a few side steps, just seem like too much going on for me, so I went back to ameristep platform.

I use this bag for hunting and find that Ernie's step clips nicely underneath that front buckle.

https://www.amazon.com/UTG-Multi-fu...10061913&sr=8-45&keywords=concealed+carry+bag

I feel like the platform is a game changer. I had a muddy stick and put all this padding on it but couldnt help my feet from getting sore. I think it was making me move around and change positions more frequently to stay comfortable.

I used a platform last year. Went to ameristeps this. A platform is nice to stand on but ameristeps don’t bother my feet much I like the lack of bulk with ameristeps. I have not used my platform yet this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Platform all the way for me. I can turn and shoot on it like a regular stand if I want and it's nice having something solid to stand on. I have big feet so it works good for me. I don't mind the weight of it really.

I don't have as much experience as the rest here but I tried just using the ameristeps once, it was tough, didn't really like it. My platform doubles as a climbing method.

Zero advantages, they are just for the sissy feet saddle hunters :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Seriously though, They don't offer any benefit other than more surface area for your feet. They are heavy, bulky and a single platform is much more restrictive than steps. I have said it before, I think platform have no place in saddle hunting, they are for tree stands :tearsofjoy:

Thanks,
Boswell

Zero advantages, they are just for the sissy feet saddle hunters :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Seriously though, They don't offer any benefit other than more surface area for your feet. They are heavy, bulky and a single platform is much more restrictive than steps. I have said it before, I think platform have no place in saddle hunting, they are for tree stands :tearsofjoy:

Thanks,
Boswell

Hey Boswell what if it's also one of my climbing methods? How do you climb? Sticks? If you use sticks I bet they weight a lot more than my platform does(4lbs 11.8oz, XOP Hand Climber), although maybe not more than all of my SRT gear, all of my climbing gear weighs under 16 lbs including my platform because I'm a sissy. That includes all of my SRT gear, my saddle, harness, tether lineman belt. Maybe if you were so TOUGH a few pounds wouldn't be such a big deal!

BTW one set of 3 lone wolf sticks weighs 7.5lbs.
https://www.lonewolfhuntingproducts.com/shop/Products/Lone-Wolf-Climbing-Sticks-3-Piece__CS3-3.aspx

Hey Boswell what if it's also one of my climbing methods? How do you climb? Sticks? If you use sticks I bet they weight a lot more than my platform does(4lbs 11.8oz, XOP Hand Climber), although maybe not more than all of my SRT gear, all of my climbing gear weighs under 16 lbs including my platform because I'm a sissy.
I’ve done the lone wolf/xop hand climber, I think with a better (something that doesn’t pivot at the seat, ie fold flat) climbing section, it could be a really interesting way to climb. I would still switch to steps as a platform, once I climbed to the top. Using the climber system can restrick tree selection and make it difficult to traverse branches. I use 4 muddy pro sticks that are 10 lbs :eek: but my entire system less than 16lbs. I use the muddy sticks because they are the quickest, quietest, safest and easiest sticks that I have used hints why I use such a heavy climbing method.
I used platforms back when I started saddle hunting and I still use them to test prototypes with. Even thought I HATE them I have to use them, to make sure the saddle will work with all style of saddle hunting, same with short bridge and tree strap.
The sissy comment was a joke, I don’t care what anyone uses. The reasons platforms have become big is because they are cheaper and easier to diy than any step out there. When someone releases a good quality step that’s not ridiculously priced you will see more steps.
Using only a platform restricts the versatility of a saddle, saddles can be used to WALK 360 degrees around a tree with a single platform that CAN’T be done. So a single platform restricts the versatility of the saddle, a platform with steps does not.

Thanks,
Boswell

Thanks,
Boswell

What's your thoughts on the wild edge tree steps as a base? Since Ameristep are so hard to find. When hunting public land in Indiana we can't use screw in steps.

I was keeping my mouth shut but since @Boudreaux started it... steps for life!!

I bought a platform (actually more than one to share with friends) and it sits in my garage. The first time I put it on a tree in the backyard I knew I would never carry it into the woods with me. If I was going to carry it I might as well take a treestand!

For me it depends on which saddle I am using. With my GW, ameristeps are awesome since very little weight is actually on the steps until I stand to shoot.

With my kestrel and evo, I like a very small platform with ameristeps on my strong side.

Basically for leaning, I like a bigger step to stand on.

For sitting with the whale tail, the ameristeps are plenty.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

For me it depends on which saddle I am using. With my GW, ameristeps are awesome since very little weight is actually on the steps until I stand to shoot.

With my kestrel and evo, I like a very small platform with ameristeps on my strong side.

Basically for leaning, I like a bigger step to stand on.

For sitting with the whale tail, the ameristeps are plenty.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ameristep are almost impossible to find was looking at wild edge steps.

Platform for me.

Faster, more solid, and more quiet than the strap on steps I have used.

Also, it’s much better for shooting on my off side.

Back