• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Platform with 3 points of contact

bowhunter15

Vendor Rep
I got to thinking last night. All of our platforms have brackets on top and bottom, giving four points of contact on the tree. If one corner of the bracket isn't touching the tree, your platform can still rock after camming tight like a table with mismatched legs.

Has anyone tried ditching the top 6 point bracket and just using a sharpened bolt? It might not work well, but I want to test it out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I wonder if it would work better to have the single point on top, or on the bottom like theJim Stepp, or if it would matter.

I wonder if it would work better to have the single point on top, or on the bottom like theJim Stepp, or if it would matter.

My first platform I built was built the way you describe.
I made mine from a Lone wolf Alfa stand and relocated holes in the seat post for the bat wing (top of the post) and since I only had one bat wing and planned on keeping the post stock length for easy conversion back to the Alfa platform if wanted. I put a pointed bolt through the bottom of th post to dig into the tree for stability. (About 7/8" of point). it worked very good.

I did this a couple years ago. I had a bracket on the bottom with the seat, a versa button, a tapped bolt with hand crank on top. It was almost like a hunting beast arm but upside down. It worked OK. I also did a version in late 2015 that had bracket and threaded anchor on top with a Jim stepp knot. It also worked ok but I the two bracket design was far more stable. In the end, I preferred the simplicity and weight of the Klemz platform.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Bottom works if you move your platform and knot up.

I got to thinking last night. All of our platforms have brackets on top and bottom, giving four points of contact on the tree. If one corner of the bracket isn't touching the tree, your platform can still rock after camming tight like a table with mismatched legs.

Has anyone tried ditching the top 6 point bracket and just using a sharpened bolt? It might not work well, but I want to test it out.

www.wildedgeinc.com

I did this a couple years ago. I had a bracket on the bottom with the seat, a versa button, a tapped bolt with hand crank on top. It was almost like a hunting beast arm but upside down. It worked OK. I also did a version in late 2015 that had bracket and threaded anchor on top with a Jim stepp knot. It also worked ok but I the two bracket design was far more stable. In the end, I preferred the simplicity and weight of the Klemz platform.

That's kind of what I was envisioning, a LW arm or upside down Beast arm style. Good to know I don't have to repeat your efforts.

So I tried it out in the backyard with just a normal bolt at first. Even though it wasn't sharpened, the cam force drove the bolt into the bark until the post was touching the tree, and I couldn't get it as stable as with two brackets.

I've been strongly considering picking a couple up to play around with, especially after I somehow managed to lose my Top Paws this past year. The seat platform is great, but it would be nice to have another step further around the tree as a counter balance when leaning off to one side.

Back