• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Platforms vs. steps

putt4doe

Vendor Rep
So I'm curious, how many of you guys are using a platform now instead of steps?

For those of you that are using a platform, do you set up steps also when using this method? Or just rely on the platform to cover as much area as you need to shoot from?

I have an Ernie platform that I put together, but I have yet to get it in the woods. I have a bunch of pre-hung sets I've been hunting and haven't had a chance to get the platform up to give it a go yet. My main concern is having the platform set in one area and not having the steps on the tree to walk around if needed - however - I'm thinking the platform will allow much easier shots to the right, so that would be well worth it if that's the case!

I've been through all the steps commonly used and now I use a platform with no steps and can't see myself ever going back to just steps. I haven't found a direction yet I can't shoot from the platform and find I can shoot to the right without swinging around the tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For next year I plan to install a bolt or two around the tree just under the whoopi sling that attaches to my platform.
Just yesterday I had a buck I was wanting to shoot approach from my left side (I'm left handed) and made for a terrible angle. With all the movement I was making the buck spotted me and walked off. Had I had a step on the opposite side of the tree from the platform I feel I could have kept the tree between me and the deer and got a shot off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's way more comfortable to stand on a platform for sure...but the ameristep strap sure is effective and easy to carry.

My XOP Platform is the climber though. Using as a climbing device makes it more likely that I will use it next year. I never hunted with it this year but have been practicing with it

I still use them all. On presets I'll use Ameristeps and even Jim Stepps. When mobile I use the platform. I like them both.

I bought a platform and put it together, but it hasn't made it to the woods yet. Compared to everything else I use, it feels huge to me. I am a sitter and I have no problems standing on screw in ameristeps all day so I think that heavily influences me.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I've been saddle hunting since '09 and have always had screw in steps in my preset locations and ameristeps for my mobile stuff. I put together a platform and tried it today.... WOW. I was kinda hoping in the back of my mind that I wasn't going to like it, because I already have a system and didn't see a need to change it, but after standing on the platform I definitely have a winner. I'm going to continue to hunt from it for the rest of the season, but I'm pretty excited about it!

I have zero experience but I've been practicing in the backyard w the platform and steps. I have 5 steps on the 3 sides of tree that the platform is not on. I have been playing w the platform but both times the ucr has slipped when putting side pressure on the platform. Would a Rachet work??

I guess it comes down to how compact or comfortable you want to be. I like Ernies platform but I also think cranford rod steps with bike pedals might work nicely. Do I want compact or comfortable. How long am I going to sit, how far do I have to walk. There is no end of how much money you can spend and how many opinions you may receive on this topic.

Last edited:
I have zero experience but I've been practicing in the backyard w the platform and steps. I have 5 steps on the 3 sides of tree that the platform is not on. I have been playing w the platform but both times the ucr has slipped when putting side pressure on the platform. Would a Rachet work??
Try switching the UCR rope to a whoopie sling (you can just convert it). We talked about that on the ernie's platform thread and I think it helped.

Try switching the UCR rope to a whoopie sling (you can just convert it). We talked about that on the ernie's platform thread and I think it helped.
Or just use a Jims Stepp knot on it for now. That is what I do and it works well. I will be trying a whoopie sling. I just have not take the time to figure out how to do it. Tracker 15 has a description of the knot on this web site The UCR slipped on me too.

http://www.saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/xop-platform-kits.2541/page-10#post-35675

8f545193f84224cfbc1c36f05052c373.jpg

Last edited:
I find myself moving around "fidgeting" less with a platform. I really like my assassin.

For those who use the platform. Do you feel you can get the shot off at all the angles as you can with steps and walking around the tree?

i want to hear more viewpoints. I'm about to spring for either some ameristeps with strap or a platform. Maybe combine both.

i want to hear more viewpoints. I'm about to spring for either some ameristeps with strap or a platform. Maybe combine both.

I have found the best combination for me is the Ernie platform and 2 stepps from the stepp ladder system. The strap ameristeps slide sideways when I put side pressure on them. The stepps do not. But I am 6-1. 250lbs. I may even sell my ameristeps.

I'm still figuring out the platform. I can definitely see the benefits of one, but I've had the ameristeps as part of my system for 8-9 years, so doing anything different than my old "system" feels strange.

For me, the platform makes the shot to my 4:00/5:00 much, much easier - therefore making it totally worth it. I'm still figuring out the best way to pack it in the woods, get it set up quietly, and how to get most comfortable on it, but I could see it being pretty great once I get it all figured out.

I know that I am totally green when it comes to saddlehunting, but I like the platform for a few reasons. the first is I like that I have something to stand on while wrapping the tether around the tree. I like that it really bites into the tree and I can put side pressure on it without worrying it will slip, I use the jim stepp knot to fix it to tree, the UCR slipped out on me twice so I decided against it. I strap it to my back pack. My pack has a clip on each side of the bag and I use that to transport it.

Last edited:
I have 0 experience with a platform so my opinion there is not valid. However, even if using a platform is awesome I cannot imagine not having ameristeps on a strap. They go with a saddle as well as peanut butter goes with jelly !!!!!

Its like the old "single pin vs multi pin sight" question. They will both work, just depends on your style and what your looking for. For me, a platform has no place in saddle hunting. Ive had tried it and seen no advantage, quickly went back to steps. My style works great with steps, good spacing of steps makes things so much easier.
I think if you have a shorter tether and bridge a platform works well, longer tether and bridge steps work better. There is a reason that ameristeps are hard to find and expensive when you do find them. As Huck said "They go with a saddle as well as peanut butter goes with jelly !!!!!"

Thanks,
Boswell

Back