• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Possible ropeman/prusik alternative

It's called a climbheist(well bauchman's specifically). Big bonus over a ropeman is its releasable under load. Suggest an autoblock over this. Easier to setup a oval biner behind it withe the tail end of the ropen going through it. Allows for easy one hand operation. Knot hits biner, releases not, rope slides thought and tightens linemans. Let go, knot tightens up. It can also be used as a backup on a replacement with a standard atc device allowing you to free your hands and remove steps etc...

Last edited:
I have messed with one of these and it is definitely nicer than a prussic knot.. But them I bought a ropeman....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

variation on the klemheist or marchard knot. the basic version doesn't wrap around a carabiner, so if you want to save a carbiner it works fine. I like the marchard over the prusik on smaller diameter rope, all else being equal.

The tether I have been using to experiment with saddle hunting is 8mm so my 6mm cord grabs much better with a marchard than a prusik.

variation on the klemheist or marchard knot. the basic version doesn't wrap around a carabiner, so if you want to save a carbiner it works fine. I like the marchard over the prusik on smaller diameter rope, all else being equal.

The tether I have been using to experiment with saddle hunting is 8mm so my 6mm cord grabs much better with a marchard than a prusik.
HAHA, thanks for getting the spelling right, my phone autocorreced to "climb heist". Gotta love it. Didn't even read my post till now, oh well!

HAHA, thanks for getting the spelling right, my phone autocorreced to "climb heist". Gotta love it. Didn't even read my post till now, oh well!
Well, I only noticed because I had to look up the autoblock that you suggested and I think I will try it. So thank you!

Well, I only noticed because I had to look up the autoblock that you suggested and I think I will try it. So thank you!
All good, glad it helped ya out. Get ahold of a copy of "freedom of the hills" its the mountaineering bible and has tons of rope systems and suggestions that are super helpful when doing any kind of rope work. Can probably get it used for like $5.

I also use an 8mm tether fairly stiff. I use a Kong Duck on it works really well. I use an XOP Hand Climber seat for climbing and platform. 8mm tether gets advanced a lot with no lineman’s belt. Love this system but not very popular with the masses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I also use an 8mm tether fairly stiff. I use a Kong Duck on it works really well. I use an XOP Hand Climber seat for climbing and platform. 8mm tether gets advanced a lot with no lineman’s belt. Love this system but not very popular with the masses.

Any videos of using the XOP hand climber for this climbing method?

No there is not but DIY Sportsman took some video at Saddlepalooza if you can sweet talk him out of posting some. Or maybe donnieballgame has some. I could maybe do 1 when I get home but wouldn’t hold my breath on that one. I’m not G2 or Flinginairos. But there is a YouTube video of someone climbing with I think a LW bottom section and a TL saddle. That’s where I got the idea from. Any climber bottom section will work. But XOP and LW Hand Climber seat section works and it comes in at 3 pounds or under never weighed just guessing. So you have climbing method and platform in one application. Lightest most compact method IMO. Also only need saddle and tether no lineman’s belt. So Saddle tether and seat complete method. Maybe 6 or 7 pounds. If you want to climb around limbs add a lineman’s belt and aider or strap on step. I’ll look for the YouTube video. Ok just watched the YouTube video it’s called climbing without sticks. The guy has a LW hand Climber seat and I have both it and the XOP you can’t tell the difference. The one thing the guy doesn’t cover is tree diameters. Larger at bottom smaller as you elevate. You must hang in your saddle and shorten the length of the strap on the tree as you climb. It takes some practice also don’t forget to tie your platform to your tether biner so if you drop platform it doesn’t fall to ground. It’s not for everyone but I’m no spring chicken and it’s how I hunt 90% of the time and I have all the methods except spurs and just sold mine at Saddlepalooza. Kinda long winded but if you watch the video don’t see how you wouldn’t try it.

Last edited:
No there is not but DIY Sportsman took some video at Saddlepalooza if you can sweet talk him out of posting some. Or maybe donnieballgame has some. I could maybe do 1 when I get home but wouldn’t hold my breath on that one. I’m not G2 or Flinginairos. But there is a YouTube video of someone climbing with I think a LW bottom section and a TL saddle. That’s where I got the idea from. Any climber bottom section will work. But XOP and LW Hand Climber seat section works and it comes in at 3 pounds or under never weighed just guessing. So you have climbing method and platform in one application. Lightest most compact method IMO. Also only need saddle and tether no lineman’s belt. So Saddle tether and seat complete method. Maybe 6 or 7 pounds. If you want to climb around limbs add a lineman’s belt and aider or strap on step. I’ll look for the YouTube video. Ok just watched the YouTube video it’s called climbing without sticks. The guy has a LW hand Climber seat and I have both it and the XOP you can’t tell the difference. The one thing the guy doesn’t cover is tree diameters. Larger at bottom smaller as you elevate. You must hang in your saddle and shorten the length of the strap on the tree as you climb. It takes some practice also don’t forget to tie your platform to your tether biner so if you drop platform it doesn’t fall to ground. It’s not for everyone but I’m no spring chicken and it’s how I hunt 90% of the time and I have all the methods except spurs and just sold mine at Saddlepalooza. Kinda long winded but if you watch the video don’t see how you wouldn’t try it.

I have the video. I with @bongo's permission I was going to post it on saddlehunterTV.

Back