• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Post Rut Tactics????

donnieballgame

Just curious what folks are doing these days, lol. I'm definitly not done for the year, although my wife would certainly like that, lol. Ofc I can read on the internet but I was curious what SH members thought, and I haven't found anything here.

Thanks for the help!
donnie

For me it's tinker and scout time. I picked up some new property last week I want to explore and hang cameras in.

I want to get some preset trees ready for next year by cutting shooting lanes etc.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I see some of my best bucks during the late season. It takes some time to find them but once you do its game on. Extreme cold weather is your friend.

The bucks are still chasing here in WI.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

PA rifle is still open, NJ firearms starts Monday, PA and NJ have late archery and PA has flintlock and NJ has slug and muzzleloader. I can chase deer until mid February.

As it gets colder, I will bait and put up a cell trail cam. Once i see activity, I'll go in for a 2 hour sit at end of day. I have to time it so that I don't freeze, so no all day sits for me. I have a 6.5 gallon feeder and can bring it, corn, game camera, sticks and stepps for platform on my external frame pack and set up in short order.

Late season is about getting some meat (hopefully team 1), getting the flinter out and enjoying he solitude in the woods. If I can bag a doe or two, I'll be happy.

No one is out and/or pushing deer around. Find food sources (PA) or bring them to the woods (NJ).

My game plan is to work a travel area between bedding and food. (Closer to food to see if they are trying to gain a little weight before the cold hits. We will see if it works. If they are not moving much there, I will try closer to bedding and try not to flush them out and see where they are going when they do move.

I focus on food but as it gets colder the sources change some so you have to be out to observe them. I also continue to setup on hills and ridges that are exposed to the most sun with decent cover. Once snow drops the deer move more as food becomes more of a struggle to see so in turn they travel more to find newer more available options.

I get into the thickest stuff I can find. If I have time I sit all day. Late season hunts are a lot of work and it’s easier to set up once and sit all day. Plus if it’s gun season guys will push deer around all day.

It depends on where I'm hunting and what other hunters have done. It also depends if I'm filling the freezer or going after a big guy. For the freezer I go to the hottest least pressured food source. For big guy I'll try to sneak into his bedroom. Usually by now the deer around me have been pushed and driven hard so sometimes just finding them can be a challenge.

Snow helps, if nothing else has worked I'll get on a fresh track and try to unravel where they've gone.

Follow the deers stomach and were the doe's are the bucks will be there waiting for the young doe's to come into estrus.

I agree, hunt the food. Anything green can be good. I'm also still seeing some chasing and breeding. This time of the year for me some of the fawns come in, so where ever you see them during the season, its time to start hunting that area again.

Back