Practice for the treeless?

Discussion in 'Anything saddle related' started by beej32, Apr 15, 2018.

1. beej32

beej32 Member

I may be in the minority, but I live in a subdivision with no climbable trees in my yard to practice from- either climbing or shooting. My regular hunting ground is also a solid 1.5 hours away. For anyone in a similar position, I'm curious about approaches you've found for practicing- anything like nearby public ground, city parks, friends with land, etc.?

2. Wolverinebuckman

My grandpa lives close by and has lots of trees, so I'll spend much time there this summer. We also have a public park nearby that has a wooded area. Shouldn't be a problem if no tree damage is being done. Can't speak for shooting , though. Probably should check with local authority to be sure you can.

3. sureshotscott

sureshotscott Active Member

For testing gear I drilled a .75" hole in a ceiling joist in the basement and run rope thru that.

4. redsquirrel

redsquirrel Administrator
    Staff Member

For shooting you'll need to find someone with land, but you can practice hanging or most of the climbing methods on any type of park you're allowed on. I don't have great climbing trees in my yard so I'll often run down the street to the wildlife preserve to practice a new climbing method.

5. Mint

Mint New Member

I'm in the same boat as you except that I have a huge sycamore in my yard. I'm going to try to rig and eye bolt to tie off on to practice from. Otherwise I can go to my archery club 20 minutes away but can't climb off the ground.

6. IkemanTX

IkemanTX Well-Known Member

I climb in the back of a city park nearby.
    I get back far enough off the trails that most people won’t walk by, and just know that I’m going to look pretty goofy if they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beej32 likes this.
  7. beej32

beej32 Member

So in doing this, is it correct that you're essentially dangling vertically from your tether, which is anchored almost directly overhead? I've considered something like this using the beam on the kids' swingset, but I'm not sure how helpful that'd actually be.

8. Wolverinebuckman

I am currently using an overhead hookup to test and build my fleece saddle. I haven't gotten to actually hanging properly from a tree yet for comparison , but I don't think it is a fair representation of what having a tree in front of me will be like. I don't like it.

9. sureshotscott

sureshotscott Active Member

You can impart a lean into it for testing things, just like most folks lean off the platform. You can even wear Crocs, no one will care. :)

Also useful (and safer) for testing rappel at low heights.

huck72412 and beej32 like this.
  10. EricS

EricS Well-Known Member

If I were to attach to a ceiling joist it would be where the ceiling meets a wall. Then you could sit or lean with knees to the sheet rock. I have a security light in the back mounted on a wood light pole. I test steps and sticks on it. I also shoot from it but don’t climb very high.

11. lpv77

lpv77 Active Member

Install a telephone pole

12. kdice50064

kdice50064 Member

Doesn’t anybody use his ex’s stripper pole?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. DaveT1963

DaveT1963 Well-Known Member

I do not "dangle" from my saddle to take a shot. I am more often then not leaning or standing and it is not really much different then while taking a shot from the ground or an elevated platform. I practice off a roof to get my sight picture from shooting from a tree - just don't think it is necessary, for my instinctive style shooting, to be wearing a saddle at hunting height to practice - but it certainly wouldn't hurt any. 99% of my shooting is what is often referred to as stump shooting..... but then again I don't take long range shots with a self imposed limit of under 25 yards