• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

preacher stand

noxninja

I am making my own saddle off of the "Preacher stand" design. What I thought about doing was boring 4 holes in on the corners...tying a stopper knot of 11mm static line as a pre tied bridge so that I have two loops to hook into the carabiner on my tether. (think of how a swing set would sorta be done)...your thoughts?

actually it would be two knots one on top and the other on bottom

I made one of these and it was absolutely my most comfortable stand for me - ever.
It was simply a piece of 1/2" plywood with (4x) slots drilled near the 4 corners. I used 1" tubular webbing so it would go through the board that I was sitting on in the event that the plywood failed. I don't want to lawn dart to the deck! One water knot and you're done.

I was a 'sitter' so the hard base was perfect. This year I am lowering my tether, shortening my bridge, because I intend to start as a 'leaner'. I may go back to this hard-based saddle if I am not nice and comfy in my soft saddle.

There is no better stand for "sitters" IMHO. Time will tell if I can lean in my saddle for a couple hours without fidgeting around too much.

Make that sucker, test'r out and post some pictures!

I also made something similar. I ran the webbing like Scott said in case the wood failed. It is a great saddle. All mine is is a piece of plywood that I cut to the dimensions I wanted with 2 slots on each side. I didn't need any stand off there and it still works great.

I am wondering if I couldn't just cut a single piece of tubular webbing on each side like but the two that I have used seemed to make the platform more stable on the front and I still could shoot all angles

Sure you could, it is your's!

I like one piece of webbing so there is only one knot and if your webbing is long enough you can you can adjust the length with the water knot. I am right handed so I keep the knot on my right side so it doesnt get in the way of my bowstring when drawn. I shoot a recurve.

I just recommend that whatever you do, you ensure that the webbing (or rope) goes all the way under your @rse in case the board snaps on you. This isnt likely, but you'd be pissed to miss your season (or worse) because you skimped on a $3 worth of webbing!

Dont forget to post up your pics...

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Some people call that a onehair seat. I watched a YouTube video with preacher seat in the title. Guy used a timber hitch to attach his tether.

It was the Onehair seat that got me swinging in trees back in '09!
It changed how I hunt deer forever; glad it did.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Yup...The Onehair was my intro too. It is extremely comfortable. That's what I made my Stirrups for as well. You are not as 'free and agile' in it as you are in a harness. But the standoff really does work to keep your knees off the tree.

I climbed with foot loops and wearing the seat on my back.

Back