• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Predator rigs

suicyderider

TCM predator.jpg Anyone else in here chase coyotes in the "off season"? Here is my setup. Van Guard EQ2 Bipod, 22TCM rifle 17+1 Mag, Cabelas 4-12x40 scope, Night snipe NS550 adjustable beam green light. I have yet to get a kill but man we have had em talking a lot the passed 3 weekends. Last weekend we made 5 sets and have responses at 4 but only shined eyes at 1. A little out of comfortable range and couldn't get a positive ID we passed on the shot. We ended the night on a set where we started a rabbit distress followed by a lone male howl. Immediately got a response well within shooting range only to never get an eye shine. After a few minutes getting barked at the dog hit the ridge and his pack lit up. A short few seconds 4 packs N,S,E, & W all started locating it was intense. Unfortunately it was brief and they never came into range, however I finally feel like im hitting a stride in my calling and slowly but surely getting better. I cant wait to finally connect on my first eastern coyote. I showed you mine, now you show me yours. I also have a Stag Arms AR that I can swap the light on as well. I just ordered a 22-250 for a third setup which will be paired with an ATN X-sight 4-12 night scope. After my first successful night calling I went and bought some serious gear. I am absolutely hooked and if you haven't tried it yet I suggest you do if its an option where you are.

Last edited:
I read that if coyotes get hunted they will actually produce more offspring.

They really are devastating to the deer herds.

I read that if coyotes get hunted they will actually produce more offspring.

They really are devastating to the deer herds.
Some truth to that. Infanticide, even predation of the weak, is common in wild canines as well as bears and felines. I've seen it several times with bears up here. So if you kill off the aggressive males the natural reduction is lessened. The impact is bigger with bears here in WI as sows with cubs are protected during the hunting season. The only driver for selective harvest with predators is the desire to breed.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back