Prepping for 2018, taking input for video ideas

Discussion in 'Videos' started by DaveT1963, Dec 18, 2017.

1. DaveT1963

DaveT1963 Well-Known Member

I know a lot of guys are out making videos this day. I have to laugh at some as a lot of it is pure junk put out by "self-proclaimed experts" and lacks any value for the guy/gal doing it on public land or working a full time job/raising kids, etc.... been there done that. Then others are absolutely excellent. I will share some fo those along the way as well.

As this stage in life I desire to share what I have and am learning along my journey. The way I hunt the and equipment I use are NOT for everyone - my first priority is does it work for deer hunting, then safety - comfort is way down on my list. I am certainly no expert in anything, just an average guy out busting my rear trying to up my game every year.

I don't want to waste anyone's time so as I prepare to start scouting for 2018 season I am asking for input - what would you, the saddle hunting community, like to see me make videos on? Equipment, Set ups, trad archery, etc.

Let me know and I will try to include small videos as I go through a year of preparation. As usual I will pick out one or two new to me areas and scout, prep, take inventory and develop a hunt plan for them. Topics I can go over is my access, my logging system, How I take inventory, trail camera use,my gear and equipment preferences, etc....

I am not a professional videographer so most of the videos will be shot live, unrehearsed, un edited and probably long winded.

let me know what you are interested in (prefer PM or email me directly, if not that's ok as well.

herd90 and MCDM like this.
  2. boone0

boone0 Active Member

I'd love to see some videos on scouting, how to find beds, different food sources, ect. Stuff from on the ground, and looking at what you see from the perspective of an experienced Hunter.

3. redsquirrel

redsquirrel Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm interested in seeing more of your stuff on your trail camera tactics and how you are doing your inventories. I've found your previous videos on that very interesting.

Jefferson10940 likes this.
  4. MCDM

MCDM Well-Known Member

I have watched your videos @DaveT1963 and they have always proved informative. I would definitely like to see scouting videos I don’t have any key points that need to be addressed as everything and anything helps. I do want to see your setup in a simulated hunt scenario which i think would prove insightful. Sometimes its best if not rehearsed as this is real life and so is the hunt.

5. DaveT1963

OK I will add those three. I still have a couple weeks of hunting left so I will begin after the new year.

Red - I just bought 5 more browning dark ops (latest version) and so I will be doing a lot of camera work. I will cover how I take post winter inventory (see who made it through) and then move into some tactics I use on new properties to see what bucks are resident. Then I will go over my plan (I will actually show my process that I sue this year on 2 new properties) on how I use cameras to try to zero in on bedding areas.

Boone/MCDM - this is my primary goal for doing these. I have a ton to learn so trust me when I say these will evolve. I will cover how I personally scout properties and sue different tools to do so. I will also go over my stand selection and how I prep them. Hopefully it will give folks an idea of how one hunter approaches this. I use a lot of cyber scouting as well as boots on ground and cameras and I am always flexible I never stay fully committed to any preselected stand if sign is showing me better choices. I will also show a few of my sights I hunted this year and go over the near misses (had three encounters with 2 different bucks both over 160" gross) and what was wrong with the set ups. I really plan on cover my approach strategies more in depth to fully show the amount of effort that sometimes goes into getting away from the crowds. unfortunately I am not going to show actual pictures of deer, or the actual aerial photos or maps I use as two years ago I had an influx in company around several of my stand sites that I posted about. we have trolls that really don't add much to anything that sit back and try to figure out where you have done all the scouting prep work so they don't have to. I work way to hard to give up my better locations to the lazy opportunists out there that lurk. Since I hunt 100% public land I hope everyone will understand my reluctance in that regard.

I will cover my personal gear and how I use it in more detail. I am hoping I can talk my sweetie into filming me actually climbing a tree and showing how I set up on leaners, multi trunks, branched trees, etc. Of course I am going to make a video on 360 shooting for comparison to other methods and go over why I think there are tremendous benefits for carrying a 2-4 pound mini platform on all hunts.

I still have not bought a video recorder/camera so my cell phone video will be weapon of choice. I also am not a professional and don't plan on editing so you will see raw unrehearsed just the way it happens - it might get boring at times.

kelly.jayp, GCTerpfan, herd90 and 2 others like this.
  6. MCDM

MCDM Well-Known Member

Dave this is awesome and can’t wait. Boring real time naw in the real keeps it true. I am looking forward to this as you and a few of the others here have been very influential in my development as a whitetail hunter. Im a self taught hunter about to finish my seventh season. Many successes and fails so the more information you throw out there the better. Have a safe and hopefully successfully season!!

7. Babshaft

Babshaft Member

Thanks for doing this! Any video you make will be great. Love all of your vids so far and the podcasts you've been involved with.

Sub'd!

8. DaveT1963

Thanks - one thing I can assure you I have learned well - what not to do - or should I say how to screw up a good set up :)

Bigterp, Redfeather and MCDM like this.