• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Public Land

bigcat93

SH Member
Going to try a lot of public county land this year. I've found a good amount of pieces that set themselves up as funnels between rivers/ neighborhoods and streets that i think may prove to be fairly used. Still need to check up on a couple since they open up October 1st.

Any tips for a newbie at this?

Which piece are you hunting? You can just give me initials if you want. I hunt TSP very often. Hunt the edges, whether its catbriar thickets or swamps. The deer are going to bed in the thick stuff and come out to browse in the evening before they move on to feeding in suburbia. This method will work great for does all season, and periodically a buck all season. Once you get closer to the rut the bucks will be on their feet cruising these areas looking for does.

Bigcat, when you say public County lands, are you talking about the park system properties or wma property. I hunt both not far from TSP. The funnels are a good starting point, but also look for the small overlooked pockets close to the neighborhoods that look perfect for rabbit hunting.

Bigcat, when you say public County lands, are you talking about the park system properties or wma property. I hunt both not far from TSP. The funnels are a good starting point, but also look for the small overlooked pockets close to the neighborhoods that look perfect for rabbit hunting.

I'm talking about land in the park systems

Which piece are you hunting? You can just give me initials if you want. I hunt TSP very often. Hunt the edges, whether its catbriar thickets or swamps. The deer are going to bed in the thick stuff and come out to browse in the evening before they move on to feeding in suburbia. This method will work great for does all season, and periodically a buck all season. Once you get closer to the rut the bucks will be on their feet cruising these areas looking for does.

Red, initials are M.R.G, B. Road Tract... not too worried about giving it away to be honest. Let me know if you need more.

When i look at the maps, the northern side of this is swampy with lots of cattails. But if i come in from the south, there is a little ridge with the river below it. Going to scout it out today

Red, initials are M.R.G, B. Road Tract... not too worried about giving it away to be honest. Let me know if you need more.

When i look at the maps, the northern side of this is swampy with lots of cattails. But if i come in from the south, there is a little ridge with the river below it. Going to scout it out today
Ok, I gotcha. I'm always hesitant to put my spots anywhere online.

I haven't hunted that property but I have some friends who have. Should be lots of deer in there. I would stick to my original advice.

Back