• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Pulled the Trigger - First Time Saddle Buyer

rakkasan133

On a Kestrel! I'm 5'10", 185lbs, 34" waist...based on the info I found here went ahead and ordered a Size 2.

I'm already a habitual lineman's rope user and have been hunting climbers/loc-ons with a rock climbing harness (instead of full body) for years. Often, on long sits I would move my tree strap higher on the tree and lean back in the RC harness while standing and facing the tree...when I first saw a few videos of saddles it just made sense!

I did not buy the full kit because I like to tinker. I plan to:

1) Make my own tree strap w/ Ropeman1

2) Make my own lineman's rope w/ Ropeman1

3) Fixed Length Amsteel Blue Bridge

A couple questions:
-Best rope and size to make lineman's belt?
-Best rope and size for tree strap?
-Bridge length to start with?

I've got an REI close that I can get necessary supplies at, as well as an assortment of MOLLE pouches left over from my Army days to start tricking this thing out.

I'll be carrying and climbing with the Hawk Helium sticks + aiders I already have that I have modded with the LW and rope system. Just need to decide on a platform now! I'd like to incorporate the top of my fourth stick...

Welcome to saddle hunting. I'm just getting started on the saddle hunting lifestyle myself. I can't answer all your questions but as far as bridge length of you go with a fixed bridge most guys will tell you 24"-30".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back